Landr - Once Click Mastering Test

zenshin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I recently heard about Landr and their promise to master audio tracks and all I'd have to do is just drag and drop the audio track. Needless to say I was curious about what would come of it. Thus, I decided a test was in order.

My test was to upload the WAV file of one of my recent songs recorded in 48K sample rate 24 bit depth rate. Then I would compare it head to head with my personal mastering chain. Now I may not be that great at mastering but I have to say, I think Landr's results murdered my own hand mastering by a good margin. At least on the earbud and laptop speaker test.

Of course who wants to read my jabbering on... here is the outputted result that they gave me. I'm happy with it and will likely stick with their service from now on.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/zenshin-2/end-the-silence-1[/SC]

EDIT:
I redact my previous statements on Landr, I judged way too soon on the worst hearing mediums I could probably use to judge. But stay tuned, a round 2 is below.

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty bad job to me.
Yes it's loud, but it's got an overpowering 1-2kHz range, the drums in the intro are crushed in to the the rest of the tracks, it's been robbed of all life.
What did the original sound like?

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The mix wasn't very great but, damn that was a cool song.

zenshin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just got back from car testing... yikes. My car had a way of revealing all the problems that my earbuds and laptop speakers didn't.

Regarding the overpowering 1-2khz frequency range, yeah, I heard it in there. I'm not as good at hearing some of the dynamics stuff as I think a lot of the people in here are able to detect right away.

Anyways, here is the original which mind you, is still a work in progress. I also have some other things I want to work around with on the mix side. However I don't expect it to be anything great. Not planning to market any of this stuff.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/zenshin-2/end-the-silenceoriginal-master[/SC]

Now to be fair to Landr, they do offer (and I should have taken the option) to go lower on the loudness and higher on the dynamics. I'm supposed to get 2 free masters for the month so I might try one more version on one of the lower volumes and higher dynamics. See what kind of effect it has.

zenshin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thought I'd toss in one oddball factor to my current state of mixing. I'm a little biased towards extra loudness because my car stereo is unusually weak on the audio input jack and my CD player doesn't work so no burning this to CD for me. I know the weakness is something with the audio input jack because when I pull my phone out and the car switches back to the radio, I always have to turn it down really really fast or get ready to have my ears blown out. So yeah, that's where I do carry a bias towards loudness unfortunately.

zenshin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Round 2

Took some measures that hopefully improved the mix itself a little. Bare in mind I have car tested none of this. At least this time though things were handled through some Presonus monitors. But remember, I'm an amateur.

My amateur hand master
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/zenshin-2/end-the-silence-hand-mastering-round-3[/SC]

Landr set to have more dynamics and less loudness.
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/zenshin-2/end-the-silence-raw-mix[/SC]

I'll reserve my personal judgments for after I do the car test instead of being an idiot like I was before and judging off laptop speakers and cheap earbuds.

Promit

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know it's besides the point, but it kills me to hear such a cool song mastered so poorly by this ham fisted software.

zenshin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know it's besides the point, but it kills me to hear such a cool song mastered so poorly by this ham fisted software.

I appreciate the kind words. If I'm honest, after improving the mix and redoing my hand master, I'm starting to feel that Landr is really lacking badly in some key areas. It's almost feeling like they took a generic setup for a pop/hiphop song and slapped it over what I'm doing. Their sound did improve with round 2, but they run so much presence/treble that it makes it nearly unbearable in my car. The only thing I thought was really good was the tighter low end which I was able to then achieve for myself with some tweaks on the multiband compressor.

I guess I'm starting to feel more like Landr is a better fit for a generic pop/hiphop/edm type of music. You know... the kind of stuff that's generally churned out to sound exactly like every other mass produced thing out there.

I learned a few good lessons for myself today. 1. Don't make a judgment about tracks on bad listening mediums. 2. Don't make judgments on tracks right after finishing day job work. 3. Getting pop/edm volume isn't necessarily a good thing. 4. Algorithms might work on manufactured predictable music, but when you're trying to make art, the algorithms just aren't going to cut it. You still need that ear that pick out what the song itself really needs.

Of course I say all this as someone who still has a lot to learn. Another day, another lesson :cheers: