Lack of 'Metal' Cycling Apparel

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Vyn, Apr 4, 2019.

1. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

I got some Team Rock Racing knockoffs on Ali Express. The worst cycling team ever in cycling history but the logo is cool.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

And here's how hardcore/metal/rocknroll/extreme or just plain stupid and risky road cycling can get. Red Hook crit racing. Flat track, no brakes, no gears.

3. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I ride a mountain bike, so I can wear any t-shirt I want with my baggy shorts, I just say no to spandex.

4. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

Yeah, the metal community were some of the earliesr adopters of spandex technology.

5. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

Ah, good point, so you're saying spandex cycling shorts with studs and a saw blade ala' Blackie Lawless is about as metal as it gets?

6. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

Well, getting all Mad Max or Deathrace2000 with your cycles too, but yeah. None.More.

7. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

8. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Biking can be pretty grim and frostbitten .. or at least muddy :lol:

Anyone else here doing a bit of cyclocross / gravel riding in the winter months?

And on the topic, I also go for brighter colours, after getting hit by a car a couple of years back.

Drew likes this.
  9. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

you could wear all black. Its classy, metal, or anything you would like.

they do also sell tattoo sleeves to protect peoples tattoos from the sun. Some of them have dragons, or what not on them, that do look metal.

or paint stuff on the helmet? or put stickers on your bike?

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Cyclecross is just needlessly nuts. I don't get it. :lol:

Gravel rules though, I have a preference for nicer weather and all, but two of the most type-2 fun events I've ever done were VOMAR and Rasputitsa, ans there were long patches of snow and mud to navigate there.

I'm with you on color though. I'm not full neon, but when I look at a new jersey or shell or whatnot, my second criteria (after "do I like this color") is "how likely is it that this will catch a driver's eye? I've been hit in glancing contact with turning cars a few times, had a couple VERY close calls with cars pulling out in front of me, and got caught early 2019 by a car cutting through a gap in traffic when I was going 25 miles an hour in the other direction. No amount of color would have saved me from that one, but a lot of those other situations I'll take whatever I can get.

Sumsar likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Also, beyond visibility issues...

...black kit looks classy as fuck, no doubt. But I would't wear it even if I didn't have to worry about drivers seeing me on the road - wait until the first time you're grinding up a 8-10% grade, a half hour in, on a 95 degree day in direct sunlight. You'll fucking roast. :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  12. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Insufficiently hardcore, clearly.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl:

14. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Sounds like Mt. Lemmon outside of where I used to live in Tucson, AZ.

15. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

People who ride that are fucking nuts. My *car* wasn't happy about that hill. :lol:

R34CH likes this.
  16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ha, I've actually ridden that one, this time of year two years ago, then spent the next day down in the valley and hit Mt. Graham (which of the two was the nastier climb) the day after that.

Lemmon actually isn't all that bad from a grade standpoint (though I'd hate to do it in the summer), it just goes on for fuckin' ever at a pretty steady 5-6%. I don't think I hit 10% until after Summerdale and the ski center, on the way up to the observatory, but 10-12% at north of 8,000 feet above sea level is murder.

I was thinking more east coast climging - in particular, strong flashbacks to riding the App Gap after blowing up on Lincoln Gap, but holding on long enough to make it to the top. If you thin Lemmon is bad, you really don't want to see the Lincoln Gap - it's mercifully short (by comparison, about 1.4 miles) and shaded, but averages 15% and stair-steps between "easy" 10-12% sections and steeper 18-20% grades, getting up to about 26% by the very top. I damned near quit biking up mountains and took up golf the time I actually cleaned it. :lol:

17. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

The name sounds familiar so I feel like I've probably seen YouTube videos or something. Not much of a cyclist but I try and get out at least a couple times a week.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It's reputed to be the steepest paved mile in America. Pictures or videos never really do a grade justice, but there's a couple points in here where you can actually sort of tell how laughably steep it is:

New England can't match the sheer height and length of some of the midwestern and southern climbs, but what we lack in size, we make up for in sheer brutality. I happen to live within a couple hour's drive of what I think Bicycling Magazine ranked the steepest mile (Lincoln Gap) and the steepest half mile, Kingsley Hill Road, where the bottom stretches of that get damned close to 30% for, well, I have no idea how long because I was suffering too much to keep the bike moving forward. :lol: I stopped coming back down (I had another climb near there I wanted to hit as well) for a picture, and I had a hard time putting a foot down because the pavement was falling off so quickly below me. :lol: