Lace Alumitone Stealth Soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Backsnack, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Can't seem to find much outside information or reviews other than Lace's website about these, though they look interesting. The description seems to be fairly similar from their other Alumitones, though I'm not exactly clear on how different they are from the others.

From the website:

[​IMG]

Interesting that they've adopted a more traditional look to these to blend in for a "stock" look when swapping pickups. The output rating on their site says 6.8, which is the same as the X-Bar. As a comparison, the Death Bars have an output of 8.8.

setsuna7 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

I'd assume they are just as you say. An alumitone with a cover on it. I just installed the 8 string deathbar and xbar in my dc800 and love them. They are clear and sound great. not too hot/high output.

I also took some 3.5 inch plastic covers and put them over my dimarzios so they would look like soapbars. It didn't change the sound, just the look.

Lace makes the same pickup in a number of variations. They have several different versions of the alumitons that they call different things but in their description lace will say that they are the same pickups.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i would be interested in these. So basically its just an xbar in an active mount cover?

4. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Yes.

5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    If those are the original bars with an active cover, what a waste of plastic... The alumitone bars so much prettier than that boring active cover housing...

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

whilst I partly agree, the saving of a slight hassle of making new holes etc to get the regular x bar to fit in, these ones just literally pop right in without any extra tinkering.
    I actually dont mind the aesthetic of the EMG look on pickups either so Im not fussed.

no mention of pot values that I could see?. I assume its 250k again like the others?. Kinda wish they would make something totally new and different that also uses 500k.
    Maybe like to rival the Fishman hype nonsense everyone has jumped to now.

7. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

that would be cool. They do probably recommend 250k. I put a 250k volume and a fender TBX pot for my tone. Works awesome. The alumitones can be very bright with 500k.

I do like how the alumitones look but I am not a fan of the four mounting screws versus the two like a regular soapbar pickup has. they could keep the look and just move the lead wire junction, then they could make a pickup that looks like a regular alumitone but mounts just like a soapbar.

8. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

While I agree that Alumitones look far more interesting that conventional pickups, IMO their aesthetics don't necessarily look good in all types of guitars.

Also, if you were doing a pickup swap and wanted to maintain the "stock" look of some actives that might have been in the guitar previously, there you go.

9. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Also makes me wonder if they'd sell the plastic covers separately to put over a Deathbar. I'd rather do a Deathbar set for my next 8 string.

10. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I sent an email to Lace asking about them. Still waiting for a response, but my guess is yes.

11. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Have you experienced a noticeable difference in output between the X-Bar and Deathbar?

12. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

the deathbar has a little more output and a more focused midrange. The x-bar is a little more open sounding. It doesn't drive as hard.