Kvlt Guitar/Pedal/Amp Builders Who Do It Better Than The Big Names?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Carl Kolchak, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Right now I'm really high on Plx-Fx. I'm running three of his pedals in various combinations, and am getting some really good tones out of them. I'm especially digging his take on the Grind-style of pedal he makes. Interesting to note that his seem to be made to better standard than Fortin's, as the footswitch on my Fortin busted pretty quickly. I've also noticed the Plx-Fx version is much quietrr than the Fortin, which is essentially unusable at its max setting even with a good quality noise gate engaged.

So, anyone else getting good results with some lesser known, but superior sounding bits of gear out there too?

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Piper's Pedals gets a fair bit of love. I like their Dirty Trees (TC Preamp/33 hybrid).

Roadsterjosh and Carl Kolchak like this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

VFE - his pedals started out as an electrical engineering nerd tinkering with circuit designs lol. Many of the older ones have too many bad/useless tones between the good and great ones. I prefer his later 4 knob series because all settings are good to great.

Vick Audio - great clones of hard to get or expensive pedals. His V2 is a 99% copy of the Pete Cornish G2 that is 5x as much. And I actually prefer the change to Silicon diode clipping.

Xotic guitars - relatively unknown in the guitar market but their Strats are legit.

King Tone Jesse Davey pedals - his stuff is getting more popular, but his pedals are the best of their kind (Duellist, Octaland, Ge and Si Fuzz).

Henretta Engineering - another "unknown", their H-bomb fuzz (octave) and Choad Blaster (fuzz+m-type dirt) are amazing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Carl Kolchak likes this.
  4. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Decibelics makes the only Klon Centaur clone out there that's 100% part per part identical to the original. Considering the prices of those things they're fairly priced.

They also have a HM-2 clone for your buzzsaw tones built to the same standards:

https://www.decibelics.com/

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Klon KTR?

6. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

That's technically not a clone. The Decibelics is still cheaper and smaller!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I'm all about "better/different than the original design" gear.
    • My "Strat" is a 1996 G&L Legacy. Well I guess this is still technically an original since it's Leo Fender designed.
    • My "Les Paul" is a Heatley Tradition. Better neck heel and headstock design, top tier quality.
    • My "ES-335" is a Yamaha SA-1200S. 40 years old and still kicking! Solid carved spruce top, beech back and sides, chunky mahogany neck and push/push coil splits.
    • My "Marshalls" are a Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead and the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition. Neither needs to be cranked to sound great and they do the modded Marshall stuff with just as well as the old school sounds.
    • My "Vox" is the Victory VC35. Better MV, bass cut and mid boost options to make it work better at higher gain. Soundwise it's a bit more mid forward than an AC30 or Matchless DC30 to my ears based on just running it against amp sims from my Helix with the same York Audio 2x12 Celestion Blue cab IRs.