KSR Orthos, opinions please

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BrutalRob, Jun 26, 2018.

1. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I am looking for infos on the ksr orthos amp and hope to find some advice here.

I play mainly death metal and need cut articulation and attack so none of the notes get lost.

Will the amp provide this?

What can it be compared to?

Any infos are much appreciated

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  2. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I don’t have an Orthos but I have an Ares which is the same preamp circuit minus a dedicated clean channel.

I would say it has floral notes of Mesa recto and mark IV style midrange grind but thick on the bottom end, with a tight finish and good note clarity amongst the saturation.

It’s definitely got a unique voicing compared to a lot of other amps though.

3. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply.
    Unforrunately, i never played those mesas mentioned.
    Unique voicing sounds good, though.

So it is rather thick than dry?

Would you say it has good attack and articulation for faster stuff?

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

:D

Thaeon, beavis2306 and SoundAsleep7 like this.
  5. FitRocker33

I wouldn’t say it is a dry amp, but the cool thing about the KSR stuff is the amount of tone shaping switches in addition to the very responsive eq. It can be thick with sag or tight and percussive, but it always retains this characteristic KSR snarl in the mids.

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I’ve got a Gemini and it is in the boosted Mesa Recto camp as far as the base tone goes... and iirc the Orthis is similar, just a different feature set. Like a mix of a Soldano SLO + Mesa Recto. It is a lot tighter, more gain, and more modern sounding and will cover the tone your after. The are also very, very well made. Kyle builds a fine amp.

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  7. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

is it possible to somehow compare them to a evh 5150, diezel or engl? those are amps i somewhat know and geht an idea of how the ksr stuff sounds

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Sorry... the KSR stuff sounds different than those. I have/had Diezel Herbert/VH4 and several Engls SE/Savage/PB... but the KSR amps sound different. Closest thing would be a boosted Mesa Recto and Soldano SLO hybrid. All the switches, modes allow you to dial in a bunch of different tones. Liked it a lot more than my Bogner Uber Blue which is in the same vein.

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  9. FitRocker33

Agreed. I also have a 5150III and have owned an engl powerball2 and had a diezel dmoll for a week that I promptly returned because I didn’t like it at all. The KSR didn’t sound like any of them.

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  10. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Just out of curiosity, what didn´t you like about the DMoll?

11. FitRocker33

I’m probably gonna catch flak for this but it seemed like no matter how I set the controls I could NOT tighten it up. It was totally unuseable to me.

Add to that the “plasticky compressed” tone that some people tend to describe with diezels and it was just not for me.

This is what I hate about all my local shops not carrying anything boutique. No way to try out amps like that before you buy.

Of course if I want a 300 dollar mitchell, line6 spider or epiphone they’ve more than got me covered :squint:

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Don't forget a $4000 dollar les paul!

vilk and JesperX like this.
  13. FitRocker33

Oh most definitely can’t forget the 5000 dollar Gibson’s that look and feel basically like the 2000 dollar models.

JesperX likes this.
  14. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

FitRocker 33, what do you mean by not right? Flubby bass or not enough articulation?
    Take a look at my comments in the new herbert mk iii thread, hence my question ;)

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  15. FitRocker33

Flubby bass yes. Even with a boost out front it didn’t dazzle me enough to keep it.

FWIW I was using my Mesa traditional sized 4x12 with v30s.

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  16. protest

protest SS.org Regular

The original Orthos is fixed to Fat on and Mode (boost) on so it's not as tight as a Colossus or Gemini can be, but the newer Orthos with the Feel knob can cycle through the Fat Mode and Thick options.

I think the closest comparison for tone is a boosted 2 Channel Recto Vintage mode. The mid-range and character of the gain is similar. However the low end and moreso the high-end aren't really the same, neither is the feel. The high end is a little chopped off somewhat similar to my Herbert in that regard, and when you flip to the neck pickup for a solo it doesn't sound like a Recto at all, and feels a bit more like a Mark. It's hard to describe because it's very unique. Its also super musical like a Mark and can be used for something like gained up blues or fusion with no problem.

oneblackened and SoundAsleep7 like this.
  17. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I had an older Orthos for a short time. And while they are fixed at those settings, Kyle said there are internal jumpers or something that can allow those settings to be switched (depending on the version, I guess).

For me, the Orthos was like a SLO and 5150 and Recto all rolled into one. Basically takes the best features of those amps and combines them. There was something about it that just didn't work for me...not quite enough gain or saturation before the compression started squashing things too much or something. Not really sure what it was, but I ended up letting it go in favor of my Mark IVs. I recently got a Laney IRT Studio that reminds me a lot of the KSR in many ways...but its more flexible and has more saturation...its more like a Mark IV and 5150 had a baby, which is my jam!! haha. But still my Mark IVs are king.

SoundAsleep7 and Wizard of Ozz like this.
  18. SoundAsleep7

SoundAsleep7 SS.org Regular

The KSR Orthos 100 amp performs very well at low volumes. I would describe the clean channel as sitting somewhere between the Mesa Mark V Clean Channel set on Fat and Bold on, and the PRS Archon. It is a nice thick sounding clean that responds very well to playing dynamics. I did a side by side with all aforementioned amps as I have all three and the KSR Orthos holds its own.

I would describe the gain channel as sitting somewhere between a Bogner Uberschall Revision Blue, and an early 2000 Dual Rectifier that is less congested and more clear across the tonal spectrum. I hear slight Mesa Mark V/PRS Archon gain influences on gain channel, yet less nasally. It is a very pleasing smooth gain with the bright off and with bright on it adds just enough bite.

19. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

FWIW i have a KSR Ceres preamp (basically Ares, Gemini and Colossus preamps rolled into one) and it basically can do anything. Grindy death metal? Check. Djent? Check. Modern thrash? Check. I cant dial a bad sound out of these and i can only imagine how good an actual KSR tube amp must be.

SoundAsleep7 likes this.
  20. SoundAsleep7

SoundAsleep7 SS.org Regular

I’ve heard the Ceres is amazing Mr Wulf. I’m not sure about the other KSRs, yet I can confirm the KSR Orthos 2 is amazing.