KSR Ceres - 3 Channel Preamp Pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by protest, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ykcirj

ykcirj SS.org Regular

I may check that out! I just sent back the fryette sadly. It was just way too bright sounding for my setup.

I just got the Kraken Preamp pedal, and it sounded pretty good with the Fryette at lower volumes. Once I cranked it to band volumes the power station just felt way too harsh for my ears. I had the same issue when I used the HX stomp with it as well.

I plugged the Kraken into my Rockerverb effects return and it was great! I’m looking into getting a Mesa possibly when playing with a band. The 2: fifty only weighs 23 pounds so that sounds like a good option!

2. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Can never go wrong with Mesa power amps, obviously.

For the price of a new Mooer Tube Engine, it would seem like a better value to get a Mesa power amp. Though I think the Mooer is probably lighter weight and a bit more compact.

The old Carvin TS100s pop up on Reverb pretty frequently for $400 or so.

ykcirj likes this.
  3. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

What about something like amt tube cake for just in-house use only?

4. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Don't know much about those, so I can't say.

5. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

So now that these have been around a while and the honeymoon period is waning a bit, how about a quick check-in from the early adopters? Is it still a key part of your rig? Pretty impressive how numerous folks here and on YouTube have commented that it manages to mimic a tube amp feel and response and sound a lot like the full bore KSR amps.

Idly wondering how viable the Ceres could be as a hub for a simple modular rig connected to a power amp and cab. Then hook up a Voodoo Labs amp switcher to switch channels with MIDI. Seems flexible enough to dial in whatever sound one might need.

I’m also particularly curious about the clean channel. Who’s actively using it? How does it behave with OD pedals?
    How does it compare to your favorite clean channel on XYZ amp like a Mesa or Vox? Some folks mentioned a lack of volume on the clean channel compared to the drive channels. Was this a design flaw in the early units, perhaps? Any word from Kyle on how to remedy that?

6. GuitarSetup

GuitarSetup SS.org Regular

Sounds Pretty Good

NorCal_Val and The906 like this.
  7. protest

protest SS.org Regular

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Friedman seemed the best there. Had the right high-end frequencies cut out without sounding WAY dark like the G3.

XPT707FX likes this.
  9. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

I'd have to agree, the high end just sounded right to me there. Plus, it's almost half the price of the Ceres (less than half used) which is perfect for us cheap asses out there.

10. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

The Abasi was my favorite of that bunch, followed by the Eyemaster and the Horizon Devices "totally not an MXR 5150" preamp.

The Ceres sounded really awful there IMO.

11. gunch

gunch chungus

Still just want an Ares-in-a-box normal sized pedal

12. dewberry

dewberry SS.org Regular

But in the end Ola picked the Ceres. He could have picked the Revv especially he has high praise with all of the demos he made with the Revv. Ola must have a bad hearing lol.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

:shrug: ceres and kraken both sound pretty damn good to me in this vid, and I'm not really a fan of this dude's demos typically.

Winspear likes this.
  14. fcv

fcv SS.org Regular

If anyone's still looking for a deal on one of these, there's a seller on reverb that's part of the 15% off halloween sale, bringing it down to $340. Deal seems slightly sketchy since its a pre-order from a small music store that seems to be closing soon, but maybe they're just drop shipping, and it'll be fine. I've been looking for a deal on one and didn't manage to catch any of the used ones that popped up at significant discount before, so I pulled the trigger on 1, hoping it gets here alright.

15. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

And that's how tastes vary....i liked the ceres the most because of the high end

16. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I'm on some Facebook groups with the guy that owns Chondro Guitars, seems legit. You should be fine.

17. fcv

fcv SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info, it switched to in stock after a day or 2, so I'm guessing he was just waiting on a shipment. Mine just arrived yesterday, and it sounds great. Only pre/amp I've used that didn't seem to be benefitted by an overdrive, so that was a bit of a surprise to me. I've sorta wanted a colossus for years, and this fits the bill perfectly, getting exactly the sound I hoped out of it. It's not going to replace my trusty 805od/herbert pedal combo on my pedalboard rig for now, but it might later on.

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'm local, somewhat. I've been and everything seems to be on the up and up. :yesway: