Kramer Vanguard Crackle Refinish

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Finally some progress! Yay.

Two weeks ago I got all of the sanding done and also a good layer of primer.

Today I added the first coat of yellow
This is going to be awesome!

And as a side note, if I ever decide to film a horror movie, I'm going to ask to borrow your basement, lol. That looks so cool and scary!

JK-PA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is going to be awesome!

And as a side note, if I ever decide to film a horror movie, I'm going to ask to borrow your basement, lol. That looks so cool and scary!

Haha
it's my parents old garage. The pics you quoted were when it just got a new roof and had zero light inside, so I sprayed with the can in one hand and my phone as a flashlight in the other.

Looks less horror movie like now since we installed light and stuff

Wow! This is going to turn out super cool!

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Can't wait to get that thing finally done

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Haha
it's my parents old garage. The pics you quoted were when it just got a new roof and had zero light inside, so I sprayed with the can in one hand and my phone as a flashlight in the other.

Looks less horror movie like now since we installed light and stuff

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Can't wait to get that thing finally done
Looking forward to seeing it. Are you gonna stick with the original Quadrail in the bridge? Also....nice work on the logo! The Kramer...Pyramid....large K to small r is the coolest headstock logo ever!

JK-PA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing it. Are you gonna stick with the original Quadrail in the bridge? Also....nice work on the logo! The Kramer...Pyramid....large K to small r is the coolest headstock logo ever!

My original plan was to keep the quadrail since I have them in most of my guitars and enjoy them but I recently switched to a Seymour Duncan Jupiter in my main guitar and really like that one and could see myself putting one in this one too.
But since I got a SD Parallel Axis on order rn I will probably drop that one in first and see how I like it.

JK-PA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The new layers of clear had a week to cure again and this is how it looked today

Turned out pretty nice, but needs some sanding to get the clear coat nicely even.

Before I started my wet sanding adventure, I put down some shielding paint in the cavities.

20220709_183534.jpg
20220709_183549.jpg
20220709_183603.jpg

JK-PA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Started the day by wet sanding the clear coat with 1000 grid and some curved parts with a small 1500 micro mesh pad.
20220717_183943.jpg

Got the clear coat to a really nice and smooth level.

20220717_184021.jpg

And then went for some more layers of clear coat:

Looks like we are almost done with the body!
When everything cures well there should be a minimal amount of fine sanding before I can start to polish it.