Kramer Baretta Special mod project

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ScatteredDimension, Feb 17, 2020.

1. ScatteredDimension

ScatteredDimension Sixstring Regular

That's awesome! Thank you!

My pink might be just a tad stronger and the volume knob is also to be gold :D

2. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

I love "GOLD" lol

No probs i took the lighter pink from the esp you posted and yep i guessed you'ed end up with a pinker/darker pink,with out a full white base coat even a light pink spray will darken had it happen on my maverick pink refinish.

ScatteredDimension likes this.
  3. ScatteredDimension

Haha. YES. I think that all the hardware must absolutely match each other in a guitar and really IMO chrome looks almost always cheapish for me... Black for me looks almost always better or in this case G O L D.

4. ScatteredDimension

5. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Yep totally agree to the color match ,although i have to admit to just modding a few of my floyds to the stainless/black interplay such as on the sun valley shredders which looks pretty cool i think.

And sorry about the meme it was the "Gold Knob" that trigger the Gold Member ref post ;)

btw if your going for a diffrent brand/type of clear than the colour/base primmer your using make sure you do a reaction test on a colour sparayed and cured scrap piece first (its not fun to watch your well spray'ed and flattened colour coat blister under and uncompatible clear coat....been there.

6. DancingCloseToU

DancingCloseToU SS.org Regular

I love it! Seriously killer work
    I know it's probably much more trouble than it's worth, but a pink headstock/black logo would slay

7. ScatteredDimension

I thought that the meme was funny!

I haven't done any clear coating yet. I have the same brands clear lacquer that was the primer and paint and did a test on a wood piece with 3 coats of clear. Of course it has not had the time to dry properly, but the surface seemed more cloudy than before the clear. Is that normal? Seemed a bit more durable after the fingernail test, but I'm concerned that will I get it to a nice gloss after some sanding and polishing (after several weeks of waiting course).

I really like the finish now as it is (doesn't need to be mirror finish) but I can't leave it like this, since the surface is not protected with any coat... Maybe I'll just add several layers of coat and try to sand it with high grit sandpapers and figure out what to use for polishing... The polishing part is really the one that causes some head scratching...
    Is there any possibility of some kind of reaction happening if I get some basic car polishing wax and what type should go after ( I live in Finland so hopefully something more universal brand :D)

Thank you! Definitely not skilled enough of redoing the headstock... I'll probably be quite happy enough with the results I'm going after right now :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Omzig likes this.
  8. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Clouding sounds like you have gotten moisure trapped in the clear,got a pic ? this can happen if you spray in the damp or during high humidity,Ive had it before and it did evaporate out for me once the clear had vented it's fumes

If you can get the body in a draught (not cold thought that will cause cracking) or get something like a 120mm computer fan set up near it that will help in the curing and getting fumes away from the paint,as i said i would'nt touch it to either flatten or polish for atleast a month,if you can smell even a slight trace of solvents while holding the body under your chin it's not done curing.

Refinishing without a pro set up is a total time sink,first two i did i just could'nt wait to get them glossed up i was so jazzed how good they looked,in the end i had to redo them both because the first wounld'nt cure because of to much paint and the second i burnt through the clear and paint layers while polishing because it hadn't fully cured,as doug P sang "patience is a virtue but she won't always wait"

9. ScatteredDimension

Ok, so I added the the clearcoat today. Almost used the whole spay can, several layers with 2-3 mins apart, as the instruction say. One patch has dripping, but I guess that can be carefully sanded later. Now is time to wait... I cannot wait to wait! :D but now point rushing.... Just have to be patient. Nice that I had good guidance here!

Edit: can't see any cloudyness now. I told myself that it must have been the s**t wood I got from work for testing and I guess that was it.

IMG_20200227_191833.jpg IMG_20200227_191942.jpg IMG_20200227_191958.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  10. ScatteredDimension

Update:

I decided to stain the neck. I saw 'Soulhenge' do it for hi's Ibanez mod project in his youtube channel and it looked cool. I really thought that a darker neck would go well with the pink body. I have a really cheap 'Reno' strat- copy that I could try the stain first. I liked it so went on to stain the Kramer.

Pics coming: for the star- copy I only did 1 layer and for the Kramer did 2 layers of stain. It's a little darker and looks better. Then I added oil to it and let it rest for the night. Did some fitting with the body and in the neck pocket there are some parts with the old maple showing and it's currently in the process of being stained.

IMG_20200304_210039.jpg IMG_20200304_210756.jpg

Attached Files:

Omzig and JK-PA like this.
  11. ScatteredDimension

So I got all the parts and since I'm pretty satisfied with the finish for now, I went and assembled the thing.

I know that the lacquer still hasn't fully vented yet, but it feels hard and I just could not wait any longer :D I guess that I can sand and polish the body later I feel like it, but for now I'm very happy with it!

Snatched a Duncan Custom TB-5 from a private market seller. Funnily enough it came with a gold cover, which I had to remove though since it did not fit the cavity with the cover. I think it would have been over the top with the golden cover anyways... Luckily the pickup had barely any wax so it was pretty clean under the cover.

Anyways, pics:

IMG_20200309_211552 (1).jpg IMG_20200309_211611 (1).jpg IMG_20200309_211615 (1).jpg IMG_20200309_195202 (1).jpg IMG_20200309_163205 (1).jpg IMG_20200309_210508 (1).jpg

Omzig, efiltsohg, JK-PA and 2 others like this.
  12. JK-PA

JK-PA SS.org Regular

Looks really good, man!
    The combination of pink and the dark neck is really sweet, way better than it would look with the original neck color.

13. ScatteredDimension

Thank you! I really like the look of roasted maple necks and this was the closest I could get without investing in one :p

JK-PA likes this.
  14. ScatteredDimension

Update: The guitar feels really nice and comfortable to play, considering it is a low budget instrument. (sure it has some higher end parts now)

One thing happened when assembling the tremolo (I want it to be blocked)and trying to screw the metal piece to the body that tightens the tremolo springs. The other screw couldn't hold the tension and came loose and out came this "mush of wood" and I wonder could there be parts of the body that are not "full wood" for a lack of better term... The body should be mahogany.

For now I used a piece of a toothpick for better "grip" for the screw and I did't screw all the way. I also used coins (for now) to block the trem so there won't be so much tension on the screws. The tremolo now sits flush with the body and is basically a hardtail. At some point I'm going to block the trem more properly with a sanded block of wood.

Omzig likes this.
  15. ScatteredDimension

Aaand it's done... Went and did the wet sanding and polishing and achieved a pretty nice shine!

Used only 800 and 2000 grit sand papers. Should have used a bit coarser for start, since it took quite a few runs to get the all the orange peel off with the 800... Then used a silicone free car polish and I'm very happy with the results :)

IMG_20200315_171839.jpg IMG_20200315_171944.jpg

In the pics it somehow looks a little pinker than it is (at least the bottom part has a darker reflect from the table and chair) ... Also the process made the colour just a tad lighter which is a good thing in my opinion!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  16. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Looks great very nice job :) Just becareful with leaving it on textured surfaces for a few months (try and keep in on a hanger or a stand that doesn't contact the body) as while its still venting trapped gases can cause the surface to resoften and take on the pattern of what its laying on! (been there done that ;) )