Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KR250, Nov 11, 2018.
What tuners are you using?
Hipshot Grip-Lok open gear tuners. I've been wanting to try the graphtech versions for comparison, but so far really like the Hipshot's.
Finally a day to work on guitar projects again! Back on the camphor burl build:
Cut a neck angle for 1.7mm extra height at the bridge on the neck
Thinned the headstock and top plate
Routed and glued in carbon fiber rods (I found a place that sells in 4' lengths for $16 each - search dragonplate) WAY less than SM prices. Not pretty, but they will be glued in very securely with the poly glue.
Also, new table saw addition! Finally. This came from my friend and is super solid. I also got another table saw for free that left a bit to be desired so I took the universal roller plate from it. It has a carbide blade, but I'm not sure it's right for ripping hard wood. I need to research a bit and find the proper blade
Last coat of satin poly on the V. Had to go through quite a few re-do's trying to get the bridge filler seamless (it's close). Will put it back together in a few days and call it done.
Finished the V! The movement of the bridge was indeed worthwhile and intonation is right in the ball park, just need to spend some time setting everything up again. The new finish is miles better than before, but not as good as the previous axe where I sanded much finer before spraying the final satin coats. Not my favorite axe to play so far, but reasonably pleased, it sounds brutal in drop F! The Instrumental SFTY4 pickups will definitely go into future builds.
A few pictures for informal NGD.
Tried to clean up the wiring a bit more this time. The cover plate is shielded with copper foil.
Glow powder, mixed it a bit weak but it still works!
Also had some time to finish making an inlay routing jig for the Camphor Burl builds, nothing too fancy, but much better than how I did the V inlays. The drilled piece of pine holding the metal channel is movable, so I clamp it down where I want the router to stop. I tried using the locating pin for the fret slotting jig, but I couldn't get it to center to where I wanted the inlays, so just marked everything with pencil and used clamps.
Slots are curing with epoxy/glow powder. Going to give it at least a day to cure, then on to gluing the fretboard, radiusing, then fretwork.
That’s a neat jig you made for the side inlays.
Man... that V came out fantastic! Love the contrast from the fretboard and the satin black.
Made some progress on next builds today.
Finished inlays with the glow powder, came out pretty good. The padauk was a bit much for contrast though.
Ended up going with ash and all the colors work much better. Cut the wings to shape (not pictured).
Figured out what the padauk would work well with. It looks amazing, but super subjective to what it contrasts well with.
Katalox neck - will add two thin padauk accent laminates
Jarrah burl top
Ebony fretboard - keeping the focus on the body
These are looking great! Well done!
Dude your builds are always inspiring! Keep it up!
Starting to shape up a bit. Neck has been profiled and radiused. Head stock is shaped up with a bit of change from my last few. Mostly the same design just rounded over into a single point. The Ash definitely fits the build better. I had a bit of a major fail though and miscalculated the thickness of the angled neck portion at the body by shaving off the bottom of it before factoring in the portion I had to route out for the top. Oops. Turning this "bug" into a "feature" though and glued up a cut off portion of the neck onto the back side of the body. It lines up pretty close, but I'll post some shots when I get it sanded better. That "feature" being opposing wood grains add strength right? Lol. Building is all about HOW you recover from mistakes..... amiright?
More to come soon and it's in the final stretches. The Padauk build is also making some small strides.
Oh, man, I would have stayed with the ash and laminated neck through and not covering it with a top. It's beautiful that way.
Yeah, I thought about it after the fact but had already committed with my depths. I'll just have to do another guitar with a similar combo without a top
Semi decent update. Fretwork is "done", tuners drilled out and body gluing up at the moment.
NOTE: For the neck-through's I've done so far I do all of the fretwork before gluing on the body wings. I found it much easier to work with just the neck blank than the whole guitar, plus I think it's easier to get the 3 corner file in. Curious how other people approach this.
I re-pressed one fret but everything was almost completely dead even in every spot even before starting fret leveling, pretty happy with that. At that point just a few quick passes back and forth with the beam sander at 400, then crowning. Did the usual 400-800 sandpaper then micro mesh pads. Still see a few scratches through so likely make another pass at it, argh.
Crowning mid progress.
I swear they were shinier before the picture, though I did turn it over to finish the volute. You can also see how the epoxy/glow powder for some reason is taking on some of the ebony dust from sanding. I can't quite figure that one out other than trying a different epoxy, using more heat, or switch to wood inlays.
Here comes the top. I'm starting to do some grain fill/finish sanding before gluing it on to make it a bit easier to get around the fret board part when I make the final passes. So far just Solarez ICBINL grain filler, and a few sanding passes.
Curing...... for 3-5 minutes.
Wiping it on thin and progressively moving up in my grits for level sanding. This was just after a cure and right before some 800 on the orbital.
Plan is to use the Odie's oil for the entire finish, but I'm also tempted for gloss on just the top piece since the wood has such a 3D effect.
Very cool piece of wood! Looking forward to seeing it all together!