KR250 Consolidated Build Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KR250, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Damn that top is sick

KR250 likes this.
  2. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Last shots of it essentially completed. Just waiting on a stacked nickel plated bass/treble knob and trying to find where I left the strap locks. I plugged it and played for a bit to start finalizing the action and the quad coil Nordstrand pickup sounds awesome! I got my measurements for bridge height close but I'm near bottom of the adjustment range. Plays better than my name brand basses. but sadly this one is not for me. Trading for some car parts so I dub this "Turbo bass"!

Build #16
    34" scale 4 string Stingray style bass
    Top: Curly Claro Walnut
    Body: Black Limba
    Fretboard: Birdseye Maple
    Neck: Wenge/Padauk w/scarf joint - black binding w/Luminlay side dots
    Hardware: Hipshot A style bridge with ultralite tuners
    Electronics: Nordstrand MM.4 quad coil pickup with push/pull vol for active/passive preamp, stacked bass/treble, DPDT for coil splitting, tone, and best of all.... a blend knob for the single pickup :/
    Finish: Odies oil and Odies wood butter

upload_2021-3-29_12-53-55.png

upload_2021-3-29_12-54-11.png

upload_2021-3-29_12-54-32.png

Wiring it wasn't too bad, but a few wires broke off the pre-wired volume pot and had to chase a short from part of the hot lead on the pot lug that was apparently too close to the shielding. All good now and managed to cram the battery in too, though in retrospect it would have been nicer to have the knobs spaced further apart.
    upload_2021-3-29_12-54-54.png

Next build is partially in progress but I may divert and do a pointy guitar once I make some more design revisions on the star shape.

Samark, Randy, USMarine75 and 5 others like this.
  3. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Well slight diversion.... checked in with buddy build #6 and it developed a slight bow in the neck since it was finished 3 years ago. I re-leveled the fretboard and installed new frets, almost there. Not sure if it was the wenge I used not being mature enough or issues with storage location.

upload_2021-4-22_12-54-47.png

Just need to level/polish frets and fill the slot ends.
    upload_2021-4-22_12-58-42.png

Also, for the record I never accepted any money from this guy: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/kyle-was-gonna-make-me-a-custom-and-then-ghosted.347162/

He tried to get me to build for him before under different names/handles/stories, but well..... yeah.... sometimes it's best to refuse a build.

Samark, Randy, BlackMastodon and 9 others like this.
  4. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

Killer builds! but man I want that boogie!

Is it a Dual or a Triple? Love the chrome chassis and the smooth blue jewel lens on those older Rectos!
    Bet it sounds killer

KR250 likes this.
  5. KR250

KR250 Build addict

It's the Triple, been on my bucket list for a long time and sounds great with that cab.

DiezelMonster likes this.