Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KR250, Nov 11, 2018.
Ew, EMGs are SoOoOo 2007.
Alright, EMG's aside (still going in ...) I started a new bass build as a trade for some go-fast car parts. "Turbo Bass!"
4 string bass
1 pc epic Black limba body
Claro walnut top
5pc wenge padauk neck
More details once it's completed
Thought about adding a cool laminate in the scarf, but decided to line it up best I could and came out pretty decent.
I'm making coasters out of a bunch of scrap wood from past builds for gifts this year. Last year was cutting boards. No pieces go to waste!
Previous batch finished.
Super as always i love your labs and scarf work so dam clean!, i remember a post from the old talk bass build forums about making lambs scaf's with inter locking strips, i'll try and make up a diagram for it, i cant recall seeing it used anywere else but it seemed like a great method, also very cool idea on the coaster i think i'll do that with some of my scraps and some cork i have kicking about.
my bad, it wasn't unique woods NW, it was Tropical Exotic Hardwoods out of california. They get some massive slabs of limba.
So this following image might explain what i was babbling on about with the inter locking lams and how to cut them
I haven't gotten around to testing this out myself yet, but it should result in a much stronger joint as it doesn't just rely on the glue to hold everything together, let me know what you think
slap some dovetails in there lol
Can't see how that would be relivent to this kind of angled joint,aren't dove tails just for face on side to side joins ? the above method has no more extra cuts than a standard scarf it's just that the wood is arranged in a different config to crate a physical lock, you can see how it works by interlocking your fingers in a similar manner...
Oh cool! Thanks for sharing. Trying to picture the sequence of cuts to make that happen, but it looks like a degree of extra precision and planning required.
Made a little more progress on the bass today, might be the last bit until January as I've got a brutal last week at work before tackling a large room remodel during the holiday break.
Ran out of time for the final spoke wheel cuts, almost there!
Fretboard slotted using the table saw jig at 34" scale. 21 frets.
Finished another batch of guitar wood coasters:
Using all of the scraps I can find from previous builds, lol:
Super as i recall the guy who posted the interlocking lams idea made up the neck sections and head/angled sections as different glue ups with over hangging intersections and once glued yogether it was trimmed and planned down flush, if i get chance over the holiday break im going to have a play alt ways to make it up and see which works out best.
Love the wenge maple coster kind of has a viper vibe to it.
I really like how that wenge/padauk looks! I just cut some padauk strips for that very purpose to go with all the wenge I bought several months ago for necks. Can't wait to see that bass finished. Everything about the body is awesome, too.
This build is going to go on hold slightly while I tackle a room demo/remodel over the break. One thing I need to try and figure out though is how to cleanly cut roughly .5" off the top of the Limba body so I can re-use (cover plates etc) it vs. just planing it down and wasting it. Unfortunately it's way too big for my bandsaw as a 1 pc body and I'm not going to split it. Would be a shame to waste so much of such a cool piece.
Thoughts? Really thin handsaw?
Humm some thing alone the lines of a diy Frame saw, might be kinda hard on a pre - cut body though.
Oh snap! Looks like I know what to do with my extra ripping blade now! TY
KR, how big is the body blank? I'd be happy to resaw with mine, but I'm in CT. Doubt you'd want to pay to ship it back and forth, but I'll gladly help if you want. But I'm sure you can find someone closer to do it. I've done exactly that with a couple of body blanks before. I agree, it's an absolute waste to plane down more than 1/4".
Appreciate the offer! The blank is pretty big and heavy, about 13"x20"x2". Guessing shipping would likely make it prohibitively expensive. I'll search around locally first, but will keep your offer in mind. I won't be able to get to it for a few more weeks, gotta finish a room remodel first.
Yeah, any 14" bandsaw can handle a blank that big.
Finally got around to tackling this body. I'm definitely upgrading my "14 inch" bandsaw for bigger re-sawing as soon as soon I can afford to, this sucked.
Used the table saw to cut a guide around the whole body then used a hand saw for a long, long, long time to finish the cut and then planed it smooth.
Got a really nice 1 pc Black Limba top out of the process though so it was worth it.
Ok, well it's almost a completed bass now. Did some initial hardware mock up before gluing up and oiling. I'm quite pleased with how it's looking so far. Should be a good player too assuming all goes to plan. It's not for me so starting some separation anxiety already.
3 coats of oil this time to get some really good penetration, have yet to apply the final wax coat.
I'll probably put some foil in the pickup route.
Couple more clean-up spots I can see, but damn, look at that thing pop!
Also got a new rig to test completed guitars to see how they go chug chug.
Wow that walnut top! and with the other wood combo's...stunning