KR250 Consolidated Build Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KR250, Nov 11, 2018.

1. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Previous build is still playing great! On to the next few things. My SECOND set of Instrumental 10 string pickups arrived today, the white set goes with the current build and the black set is shelved for a future personal build. These suckers are MASSIVE. Angles are 22 and 29 degrees (neck/bridge).

upload_2020-4-3_20-29-11.png

I test fitted the black set:
    [​IMG]

And finished cutting/shaping/pressing in the frets.
    upload_2020-4-3_20-30-40.png

Cracked my drill press in the process. Time to get the proper tool and figure out how to fix this.
    upload_2020-4-3_20-31-23.png

And yet another top. Amboyna burl, nearly 1" thick book matched. I've purchased way too many at this point, so time to get busy on builds.
    upload_2020-4-3_20-32-18.png

Also finished up this reclaimed pallet table for a friend that had been taking up shop space:
    upload_2020-4-3_20-33-28.png

2. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Looking great, as usual!

3. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Getting really close to finishing out the 10 string project. I figure it's close to 200 hours at this point. I did a mock-up sans electronics to check everything out. Had one issue with a fret that I had to do some re-leveling around. Getting the frets into this thing was a bit of an experiment and so required a bit of touch up work to get everything nearly perfect.

Went through a few iterations of stain. Still a couple minor touch up spots left. I'm spending the bulk of my time now scraping back the glow binding carefully with a razor. Not quite done yet. Probably going to seal it with Solarez grain sealer to preserve the color (non yellowing) and since it lays down thick and sands so nicely. Then likely water based satin finish on top of that. Still playing with the test scraps.

upload_2020-4-22_20-30-10.png

Some cool figuring in this piece. Trying to get the stain laid down evenly is the challenge.
    upload_2020-4-22_20-33-32.png

Oil on the back side:
    upload_2020-4-22_20-36-35.png

Here's the full mock up before staining
    upload_2020-4-22_20-34-35.png

I had to give it a go for a hot minute....
    upload_2020-4-22_20-34-58.png

Next pics when it's finished.

4. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

This looks really awesome.

KR250 likes this.
  5. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

MADD respect for anyone that can effectively play a neck that wide. Reaching the 1st fret on the low string must be a monster....

dmlinger and KR250 like this.
  6. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Cracked my drill press in the process. Time to get the proper tool and figure out how to fix this.
    View attachment 79185

A quick hack to stop this from happening again. cut a 2x4 to length and wedge it between the table and the foot of the drill press when you're pressing the frets. it takes the load off of that cast iron piece and prevents it from cracking.

LiveOVErdrive and KR250 like this.
  7. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Ahh yeah, good suggestion for pressing. I should have been doing that previously. I ended up finally buying the SM arbor for use on my larger table, which I think will reduce some of my anxiety of dropping the guitar when pressing on the drill press table.

It's surprisingly playable, but does make an 8 string feel small afterwards. We went with an asymmetric neck profile (thinner on the bass side) to aid the thumb and finger reach. I'll try and get a quick video once it's done before it leaves.

Solodini likes this.
  8. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

So much respect for this built!

KR250 likes this.
  9. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

That's going to look sick with some clear coat. Where'd you get the pearloid binding for the fretboard, if you don't mind me asking?

KR250 likes this.
  10. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

Okay but I'm going to have to take a minute out from counting strings to ask if you've documented your fret end shaping process anywhere? Those ends look amazing!

KR250 and dmlinger like this.
  11. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

+10000 would love to see this. I've only ever seen the Highline Guitars video where he uses a grinding wheel. Haven't been able to wrap my head around how to do it so that every fret length is spot on.

KR250 likes this.
  12. KR250

KR250 Build addict

For the fret ends, I totally took it from the Highline guitar video as well. This is only the second build I've done with that, and it's getting much better but still not totally consistent. The hard part is getting the fret lengths perfect, and then pressing them in without any shifting. On this build the are all within .5mm which is acceptable, but not perfect. The bonus is that once they are in, no need to use a file to tame any sharp ends and screw up the fret board.

What seems to work for me so far is:
    • Radius the fret wire
    • Cut to rough length of the fret slot
    • Use the disc part of my belt sander to fine tune the length of the fret
    • Under cut the tang - but not TOO much, or you'll have a gap
    • Use a dremel with a highly abrasive wheel (same as the Highline video posted), round over the ends
    • Test fit - back track as needed
    • Once it looks as close to perfect as possible, hit it with a polishing wheel on the ends only
    • Press in (on the ten string this was rather difficult, so I used a combo of hammer/pressing) and use a touch of super glue
    Pretty sure it was this one, celluloid :
    https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/guitar-making-c83/guitar-inlays-c30/guitar-binding-c31/incudo-celluloid-guitar-binding-p1126#attribute[3]=88

Here's a teaser pic. It's done. I'll let the owner do the full NGD.

upload_2020-4-26_21-57-57.png

13. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

Thanks for that process! The back track until you fine tune the length makes sense.

And dude...that thing is a beast! Congratulations on a successful build of this complexity. Really great work

KR250 likes this.
  14. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Taylor likes this.
  15. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

Simply gorgeous!

KR250 likes this.
  16. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Making some progress on the next build:

This one is a six stringer for a friend of mine, who is quite a good player. Mahogany body and neck, PME fret board, and richlite for the body/headstock. Originally it was going to be all richlite, but looked better with some sort of transition. The neck also has richlite stringers instead of carbon. I bought a 24"x24" sheet of the richlite direct for pretty good deal, much cheaper than ordering individual fret boards. Should turn out to be a decent ebony top alternative, and the stuff is nearly indestructible.... not so easy on tooling though.

upload_2020-5-10_20-59-14.png

upload_2020-5-10_21-0-28.png

upload_2020-5-10_21-2-29.png

upload_2020-5-10_21-6-24.png

nedheftyfunk, IGC, Samark and 6 others like this.
  17. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

That is going to be a beautiful fretboard

Omzig, Samark and KR250 like this.
  18. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Mini update. Working with richlite has been interesting. I like how indestructibly hard it is, but is also not easy to work with. Only Katalox has been as difficult so far. Neck is mostly shaped, binding and inlays down. Went for full glow powder and wicking in thing CA glue, which is way more consistent than the epoxy method. Considerably brighter than luminlay being full 3mm.

upload_2020-5-16_19-48-31.png

Richlite headstock raw with oil, not yet buffed off. Some interesting variation, but you can see some layering going on.
    upload_2020-5-16_19-50-8.png

Buffed:
    upload_2020-5-16_19-49-2.png

Still TBD, whether the richlite is black metal enough to stand on it's own or need some additional dyes/paints. It's most definitely hard enough to withstand any abuse.

19. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Fretwork is done on this one:
    upload_2020-5-25_21-27-27.png

Working out the neck pocket angle for a TOM bridge:
    upload_2020-5-25_21-28-45.png

Also, after a month, a few finish touch ups for the 10 string. The transition from poly finish on top to oil finish on the body had a few little issues and some stain bleed. This pic is mid progress of scrapping back the bleed and very light scuff sanding the top finish for a quick re-spray. Also to note, this guitar is in absolute perfection for intonation and action adjustments so I'm trying not to pull any of the hardware off.
    upload_2020-5-25_21-29-36.png

Hollowway, Rattlehead83, IGC and 5 others like this.
  20. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

awesome build as always! those pickups look gnarly!

KR250 likes this.