KR Build #5 - Evertune

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KR250, Apr 23, 2017.

1. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Almost ready to begin build #5 with an Evertune bridge I bought a year ago. Had planned for it to go into some really nice woods, but since I've never actually played an Evertune before I decided to save those for build #6. Just received the Evertune templates today, so I have almost everything I need to begin. I'll practice the template routing on some other unsuspecting victim before committing to this very nice thick cut of alder.

Goal is to be simple but functional. Still deciding on set neck or bolt on but most likely set neck since I plan to paint everything satin black. Here's the specs so far:

Style: 7 string set neck or bolt-on
    Scale: 27"
    Bridge: Evertune
    Tuners: Hipshot open tuners - 4 bass/3 treble
    Pickups: SD Nazgul, Sentient passive mount - or Instrumental SFTY3-7?
    Electronics: 1 toggle, 1 volume - toggle
    Body: Alder - painted
    Neck: Roasted maple - carbon reinforced
    Fret board: Pale Moon Ebony
    Inlays: luminlay side dots
    Head Stock: Maple - painted black or PME from fretboard?
    Nut: Black Tusq XL
    Frets: 24 stainless 51/100
    Truss Rod: Spoke wheel at neck pocket
    Finish: painted black - epoxy/satin poly

i'm undecided on adding inlays to the PME fretboard and whether to paint the backside of the neck and coat with satin poly, or stain it ebony and just add wax. Also pickup selection, but just played a Nazgul/Sentient combo and really liked it so probably will go with that and go with an Instrumental set on the next build.

Anyway, here's the latest design, still not quite finalized:
    [​IMG]

And the Woods:
    [​IMG]

NickS and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

cool...wood selections look great

3. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Made some small progress by testing out the Evertune templates on scrap wood. Also ordered the Instrumental SFTY3-7 pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few mistakes in the routing, just some overshots with depth in one area. Good thing I practiced. Also used the master templates to make thicker versions which really helped. I'm going to make the body a hair thicker than 1.75" so I can recess the cover plate on the back.
    [​IMG]

A LOT of wood removed. I'm going to use this scrap to check out how the pickup will actually mount. It's going to leave a very thin piece of wood near the bridge although I usually like about 1 inch of spacing.
    [​IMG]

4. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Man it's cool that you're using Instrumental Pickups. I used those in the last build I did, I had Ethan make some specifically for that guitars fan angle and string spacing. Love them. I want to put another custom set in a fanned fret guitar for my next build.

5. Electrotimber

Electrotimber SS.org Regular

Hi , interesting build. I also am building a 7 strings baritone 27" with no plan, based only on fretboard reached on FretFind2d. It will be useful having a pdf plan. Could you pm me if you would help?

6. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Looking forward to playing on them, really like all the sound clips I've heard so far and Ethan's been very responsive. My next build (already have the wood) is going to use them in a fanned layout.

Sure, I just imported FF2D layout into Sketchup. It's not perfect or complete, but can send something over later today. I upgraded to 2017 version of Sketchup and has made some angles harder to draw.

7. Electrotimber

Electrotimber SS.org Regular

ok Thanks a lot. I also have sketch up some were on my pc. just have to see where is located and if it still works. :) Question, can I convert that file in to pdf? it will be more simple to print out. To say the true I prefer to learn autocad for future cnc builds I have in mind. Still don't have a machine but one day who knows....! :)

8. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Progress is finally being made, not too exiting but rough cut and planed the body to shape. Realized the neck piece isn't long enough to insert into the pickup cavity, so need to order another piece. Still need to order hardware and decide on set neck or bolt on. After re-working my previous set neck, I'm leaning to bolt on as it's so much easier to work with.

[​IMG]

Also received the Instrumental SFTY3-7 pickups. I noticed the mounting tabs require less depth to mount which will be a huge bonus since the bridge route takes out so much wood.
    [​IMG]

Walshy likes this.
  9. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

You can do that?! :eek: Must get to grips with Sketchup.

Enjoying this build dude, great design and wood choices. Is that contour going to be on the front?

Walshy likes this.
  10. KR250

KR250 Build addict

I need to check it it's still possible, I think some features were taken away in Sketchup like importing DXF format, but I had imported two different designs about a year ago which I used here.

Contour will be on the back side (tummy cut). I'll probably do some kind of top carve to make it comfortable. I've done that on the previous builds and has been very comfortable. BTW, digging your build as well. :hbang:

J_Mac likes this.
  11. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

I think only the paid version can import .dxf

I usually just take all the measurements that fretfind puts out and draw it out myself

J_Mac likes this.
  12. KR250

KR250 Build addict

I've been re-finishing a previous project that is nearly complete and had a couple hours today to finally work on this one again. Body is mostly sanded to shape, I prefer the band saw/spindle sander approach vs. router. Building the neck next, then will route out the neck pocket and make measurements before hogging out the cavity for the Evertune.

Scarf joint at 12 degrees using the radial saw method. I have a jig for the band saw but the cut isn't as flat as this.
    [​IMG]

Cut it and just needs a light sanding now to get it ready for glue up. I did have to narrow up the neck blank slightly to get my 10" blade to cut all the way through, still plenty on the sides left.
    [​IMG]

Walshy likes this.
  13. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Little bit more progress to close out the day. Glued up the neck then took close look at the fret board to work around a few cracks, rough cut, and sanded. Decided to go with the light colored portion for the treble side (although could flip it). Have an idea to use either luminlay or MOP for inlays on the bass side, blocks blend right on the edge so you can see from either the top or side.
    [​IMG]

14. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

Good luck with this build! Looks great so far! Evertune is a bit of a hassle to route but patience is key while doing it!

KR250 likes this.
  15. KR250

KR250 Build addict

A little bit of progress, slow going when I only have one day a week to work on it :(

Scarf joint came out nicely, fret board is nearly shaped along with the neck, and started shaping the head stock. Current plan is to paint all of the tempered maple satin black. Unsure of trying to do binding anywhere, but if so probably the head stock would make most sense as an accent.

Next up is finishing the shaping, then truss rod and carbon routing, fret slotting, then gluing it all together. Not touching the bridge routing or neck pocket until the neck is done.
    [​IMG]

Kyle01, Mr_Mar10 and Walshy like this.
  16. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Love your builds, mate. Brave of you to take on an Evertune install as well. That's definitely on my to-do list of future builds.

It's almost a shame you're painting over that alder though - it's so pretty with the massive cathedral grain down the centre.

17. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Good point. I do have some ebony stain I could sand back to keep it dark but show some grain, probably go that route instead now.

18. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 *space for hire*

Great fretboard :)

I tried sketchup the other day & could bearly figure out how to draw a curve
    Was hoping to get some templates laser cut, any pointers appreciated

Look forward to seeing updates to this build :hbang:

19. KR250

KR250 Build addict

I'm no expert on Sketchup, but the latest update made drawing curves quite difficult for me as well (very time consuming). Probably try the older 2015/16 software version to start with. For first step, I imported pictures of designs I liked and scaled them in the software to appropriate scale length/etc, then traced out and altered with my own modifications. I did my best in designing this template with the curves, then printed out and made slight modifications in pencil to the body before cutting.

J_Mac likes this.
  20. KR250

KR250 Build addict

I slotted the fret board earlier in the week, looking to finish up the neck in the next few days. Not totally sure what to do for inlays yet. Thinking of going with just luminlay side dots and keeping the fret board clean. Other option was either pearl or luminlay cut into squares and placed on the edges visible from both sides. Thoughts?

[​IMG]