Korn album in the works

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalheadMC, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

It's really good. I think it's clear at this point that it's a spiritual successor to Untouchables, which I can get behind. It sounds amazing production-wise too.

2. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Production is good...songs are heavy, sounds like old school Korn (post FTL). It's not a bad album by any means. However, other than "The Hating", I'm not feeling it.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So from what I've read here, it's even closer to the classic Korn sound than Paradigm Shift was?

4. esp_eraser

esp_eraser SS.org Regular

So I picked up the album last night and I have to say I'm blown away.
    A mate that's a massive Korn fan has been nervously awaiting this album and I can relate as I'm anxiously awaiting the new Testament album.

I first got into Korn in 96 and they were one of my favourite bands, follow the leader was the last album I bought and I was so dissapointed with their direction and songs on that album I never really came back despite my love for all guitar related music.

Despite that I've been really impressed with some of the songs pre released for this album like Rotting in Vain, insane etc.

Putting this disc into my cars cd player last night brought back memories of how much I loved this band as kid. Sure they don't sound much like those first two albums but what I love is the quality of song writing, production, Jonathon's vocal are the strongest I believe I've heard.

Album is really cool, first half of the album feels a bit stronger in song selection but overall a good well rounded album. I now look forward to them touring down under and relieving my early teenage years :metal:

5. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Been listening pretty much nonstop today. Love it.

6. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

Hoping it grows on me.

I'm a huge Korn fan and loved the last one.

Not sure what I think of this one yet, but it will get many more listens :hbang:

7. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Gotta' admit I declared Korn as dead after Paradigm Shift, but this...this is solid as heck! The bridge of Black is the Soul just gives me Life is Peachy vibes man, I'm loving this.

8. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

We cranked it up last night and were really impressed. It has this weird sort of 'should've been released between the first two albums' vibe but also could've been released between Issues and Untouchables.

Overall, crazy heavy, really fun album. They definitely got their old vibe back.

9. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel \m/

That's the exact vibe I got too! My only real gripe with this album is that it's not quite as "intense" as the band was hyping it up to be, but that's really a moot complaint when you factor in the sheer quality of this album. This is a damn solid album that will be in my stereo for a good long time to come. :hbang:

10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Diggin' it more every listen.

11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Really liking this album, solid all the way through.

12. fps

fps Kit

Solid delivery of pop-metal spook tunes, I enjoy!!

13. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

That's something I'm trying to kind of accept. Maybe I'm listening to it with the wrong mindset.

Does anything else think the chorus's are super poppy? They also seem like they could be Korn B-sides on some. Like John almost used the same vocal melody as a previous song.

Not sure what to think yet, will continue to listen.

14. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Pretty much the one thing I dislike about the album, poppy choruses. I mean having one here and there is fine, but every song. :scratch:

15. Ocean Planet

Ocean Planet New Member

I've listened to Korn since '96 and stopped buying anything after Take a look in the mirror.

This is a pretty solid release but it's been hard to get used to the songs. I guess they aren't catching me after the first couple of listens. Which is strange because I really liked the first 3 singles they put out. They were pretty catchy right away to my ears.

I'm going to keep listening though and see which songs grow with me more. I also agree that the first half of the album does seem stronger and it just kind of gets "eh" after a while.

16. fps

fps Kit

JD loves his euphoric/ miserable (misphoric?) 80s synth pop, I think that really started to come through with Issues, which is my second favourite album of theirs. At this point I'm glad they're going down this more performative route rather than trying to pretend there's any real angst left there. Not that it's perfect, it's a bit clean isn't it. Still, I enjoyed the listens I've had, much as I enjoyed the listens I had with Path Of Totality. Thought the last record wasn't very good, whereas this one brings a lot of what people like about them together, in a shiny package. I respect them for how hard they work and their recording schedule too, wowzers, they put a lot of big bands to shame.

17. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

This is pretty rocking, definitely old school Korn. I saw them last night at Aftershock in Sacramento and they brought the heavy. Davis was a little ticked at the energy level of the crowd but they were the second to last band to play over a two day period and the crowd was a little burned out. Killer show though.

18. Thorgrim_Rexor

Thorgrim_Rexor CROM!

as many have said the weakest element is the choruses being too 'pop'. The strongest element is the fact that these songs actually sound like 'Korn' again! I hear riffs that sound like they came straight off of the first four albums. 'Serenity of suffering' has been the surprise of the year. I haven't liked anything they have done since the 'Untouchables' era, so to hear this album, it brings me back that feeling I had when I was 16. It's obvious the amount of influence Head has on the sound of this band. Overall, very solid album and easily their best effort since 'Issues'.

19. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

i dont know i think this has more to do with their producer for this album. they been quoted in interviews saying he pushed for them to bring this sound back

20. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

I think Raskulinecz definitely helped rein in some of their tendencies toward not so awesome experimentation, but the ship started getting righted on The Paradigm Shift, so I don't think Welch's influence can be discounted.