Korg buys Darkglass

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Korg is a Japanese company, and their US subsidiary is Korg USA.
Yeah, I guess I mean this says Korg USA bought Darkglass and I'm not sure what that means.

Like is this the same as how VW owns Lamborghini through Audi, or is Korg USA a separate company with distribution and naming rights for Korg in the USA?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I mean this says Korg USA bought Darkglass and I'm not sure what that means.

Like is this the same as how VW owns Lamborghini through Audi, or is Korg USA a separate company with distribution and naming rights for Korg in the USA?

Korg owns Korg USA, they established them in the early 60's, which is their American marketing and distribution arm.

Korg USA does more acquisitions than the Japanese business, mostly because the primary singular market for high end consumer musical instruments is the United States.

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Weird... I never really thought of Korg as being 'bass-centric'. It does appear that they plan on helping the brand expand, so that's promising. Unlike when brands like Randall & Digitech get scooped up and essentially abandoned.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Weird... I never really thought of Korg as being 'bass-centric'. It does appear that they plan on helping the brand expand, so that's promising. Unlike when brands like Randall & Digitech get scooped up and essentially abandoned.

They distribute Spector and Aguilar in the US, so they're not new to the instrument, not to mention keys and bass are integrated in some way in many styles.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I thought they owned them already, but apparently not. I'd compare it to Fender acquiring so many companies.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought there was a Kamen group that distributed a ton of brands but maybe I was confusing with Korg USA as I can't find a Kamen site now.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
For example, if your keys player has a left hand, you don't need a bassist.

Ba-ZING!
I have often wondered what midi-keys would sound like programmed in place of midi-bass in a metal mix. Especially something that is supposed to sound like a really full sized grand piano. I think the note definition would smack during palm muted guitar parts.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have often wondered what midi-keys would sound like programmed in place of midi-bass in a metal mix. Especially something that is supposed to sound like a really full sized grand piano. I think the note definition would smack during palm muted guitar parts.

I'm considering midi keys as well as tuned up bass for my sadboy djent core material, just to thicken things up and get the lows really rumbly since the drum software I'm using is super bright and clicky on top of mid heavy guitar and bass