Konnakol?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Walter W., Oct 28, 2019.

1. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

I want some of what this dude has been smoking. And if you really want to enjoy this vid, go to the closed caption button and turn on the English auto generated subtitles.

2. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

He's a funny man and makes good songs, but he needs to drop it with the konnakal stuff.
    He came twice in my area to do a masterclass, how cool is that ?
    The first time he spent 75% of the time going on about konnakal, ok fair enough.
    But the second time (2 years later or so) it was exactly the same. I get that rythm is really important for guitar, but still, I don't get how this is so much useful.
    For one, maybe you're not interested in whacky polyrythm and odd times.
    Secondly, even if you are (and I am), just having a different counting system doesn't make it easier (on the contrary). He says because you have one syllable per number it's much better than English or Swedish...maybe so...but I'm fine with French, I can go up to 13 with monosyllables. But even then, it still doesn't tell you were to put the pulse. For me the only efficient approach is to write it down on paper and learn it in detail from there, learn all the sub-patterns and the composite rythm. Maybe I just suck, or maybe it's because my early learning years were done based on reading scores... but I just don't see the added value.
    Sorry for rant, I just feel there's something a bit arrogant in saying "I've been to India and I bring you this, it's better than your Western ways" and shoving it everywhere possible.

3. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

Oh I agree, he's definitely out there. Watching that video with the english subtitles made me lmao.

4. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

I do think it's weird that Mattias focused so much on Konnakol during guitar clinics. However, reading your post, it seems as though you either didn't fully understand his explanations, or maybe he didn't go into enough detail properly. Check out this video for a brief but expansive look into Konnakol (also a gem of a resource for this thread as a whole):

Solodini and Winspear like this.
  5. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

The best resource I found on Konnakol and these Indian rhythms is a video that John McLaughlin did with V. Selvaganesh called "Konnakol - Gateway to Rhythm". It teaches it with a bit more of a systematic approach and has lots of great examples of polyrhythms etc to practice. It seems the DVD has been out of production for some time now, but you can still find it on TBP.

6. astrocreep

astrocreep SS.org Regular

Mattias has frequently recommended Gateway to Rhythm as a great way into Konnakol.

Solodini likes this.
  7. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

Man, ya'll missing the whole point of this thread:lol:

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

9. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

What are we missing?

10. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

11. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Is the point of this thread to just laugh at the expectedly poorly translated English subtitles then? What a siiiiiiiiiiick topic.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  12. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Yes...but i laughed at the entire thing!