KM-7 MKII Low B tuning issue

Monsieur_Absurd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently purchased an Schecter KM-7 MKII and am having an issue with the low B string. It will say its in tune, no matter what tuner I use, but always sounds sharp when played open or fretted. I always have to de-tune it down a little until it sounds right. I currently use 9-46 with a 58 for the low B and play in standard tuning. Any clue on whats going on or how to fix this?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Sounds like two possibilities to me: Your intonation could be off, or you could be picking very aggressively and not compensating for it in any other way.

I've often tuned the lowest string on some guitars just the tiiiiiiniest hair flatter than it should be to compensate for when it's really sensitive to heavy picking. I think a lot of people have a tendency to tune up based on the pitch a string settles on instead of the sharper pitch you get during the attack. It's fine for most strings, but the lowest usually gets hit harder than the others. Maybe try tuning to that initial attack pitch instead of where it settles to, or somewhere in between.

Monsieur_Absurd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While the intonation is not perfect, it is 90% of the way there. Its just slightly flat. I wouldn't say that I have an aggressive pick attack, but I'm not hitting the string any harder than the others. Not to mention it doesn't matter how hard or soft I pick the string (pick or finger), It still always sounds sharp and I have to lower the tuning slightly until it sounds right. This is when played both open and fretted.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Someone in the larger KM thread said they just got one and the nut was too close to the first fret. That would cause intonation problems across all the strings, but it might be worth looking into.

There are a number of calculators that should tell you how far the first fret should be from the nut. Just double check that it’s right on your guitar.

Also: some strings are just duds and won’t intonate. Before going bonkers, it might be worth it to try another string.

cip 123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get your intontation 100% there not just 90%. If the problem persists email Schecter or the store you bought it from.

Monsieur_Absurd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get your intontation 100% there not just 90%. If the problem persists email Schecter or the store you bought it from.

Just waiting for hipshot to send me longer screws and springs as a few that came with the guitar are too short. Once they arrive I will hopefully be able to set the intonation 100%. Even if its not perfect right now, that would account for it reading that its in tune via a tuner but sounding sharp when play open and fretted? I know intonation makes sure everything is in tune down the neck on the higher notes, but didn't know it helps even when hitting the string open or on the first few frets.

Sogradde

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always tune my low B last and always by ear, not by tuner. Low notes are silly. :shrug:

By the way, what tuner do you use and is it set to 440 Hz?

Monsieur_Absurd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, is it just the nature of a 7 string? I will try everything that has been suggested, but I just want to make sure I don't go on a wild goose chase trying to get it perfect, when its just a common problem that I would have to live with. I'm using multiple tuners. I have a Peterson stroboclip HD and tried the regular tuning, set to 440hz, I tried the 7 string "sweetened" tuning, as well as regular tuning set at 432hz. I also tried my shark clip on tuner, a fender pedal tuner, and Studio Ones and Bias amp/fx built in tuners. All give me the same result.

EverDream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay you may have gotten a string that had the windings slip somewhere and now the string is inharmonic and that's why it sounds higher pitched, because the lower harmonics are still the correct pitch but most of the higher ones are sharp and your mind hears those mainly so it sounds sharp. That's my hunch anyway.

If that is the problem... then there's nothing you can do to make it sound good, the only fix is getting a new low B string on there.

Last edited:

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Does it work if you tune it up to C? Could be you want a bit more tension. 58 isn't that tight and the bigger the string gets and the lower the note, the more tension it needs for good pitch stability. If it works well in C, then a 60 or 62 would improve the situaiton.

Monsieur_Absurd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't tried tuning it up to C. It came stock with a 62 for the low B, but it was a little too thick for my taste. When I ordered new strings, I ordered a 58, which I have on there now, as well as a 60. Maybe I'll throw the 60 on there and see if that helps.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Sounds like two possibilities to me: Your intonation could be off, or you could be picking very aggressively and not compensating for it in any other way.

I've often tuned the lowest string on some guitars just the tiiiiiiniest hair flatter than it should be to compensate for when it's really sensitive to heavy picking. I think a lot of people have a tendency to tune up based on the pitch a string settles on instead of the sharper pitch you get during the attack. It's fine for most strings, but the lowest usually gets hit harder than the others. Maybe try tuning to that initial attack pitch instead of where it settles to, or somewhere in between.

I always tune my low B last and always by ear, not by tuner. Low notes are silly. :shrug:

By the way, what tuner do you use and is it set to 440 Hz?

I pick hard and have to tune my lowest string by ear as well. Usually flat when softly picked, but sounds just fine when I'm actually playing. It's a hassle but that's what happens for me on my 26.5" or shorter scale guitars.

I think it's odd that you're needing longer screws though. Sounds like you might have other issues. Pics are amazingly helpful if you can post them.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently purchased an Schecter KM-7 MKII and am having an issue with the low B string. It will say its in tune, no matter what tuner I use, but always sounds sharp when played open or fretted. I always have to de-tune it down a little until it sounds right. I currently use 9-46 with a 58 for the low B and play in standard tuning. Any clue on whats going on or how to fix this?

This was the exact problem I️ had with mine. Never figured out the problem even after visiting a tech 2 times and trying to set it up myself at least 10 times.

Let me know if you ever figure it out. I just gave up and sold mine

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And no this is not just the nature of the 7 string. I’ve tried plenty of 7’s and 8’s that don’t have this problem

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Just curious: do you manually bend or kink the string right at the witness point as it comes over the saddle? On the thicker wound strings, they sometimes will make too gentle a curve exiting the saddle if left to their own devices. To get the string truly straight from nut to saddle, it helps to tune it up and then give the string a firm push down right as it exits the saddle, and then retune.

Monsieur_Absurd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys - So I changed the string from a 58 gauge to a 60 and the problem seems to be even worse. Its constantly sounding either slightly too sharp or slightly too flat. Here are some pictures of the bridge.

I noticed that the cutout for the b string is the most narrow compared to the others. The string kind of just sits on the groove where you can see the other saddles have much larger cutouts and the strings sit nicely. Could the saddle be an issue? Should I switch it around with one of the higher strings saddles?

Side note, the guitar has locking tuners. Could tightening the tuner too much cause this issue?

Attachments

• 2018-04-17-19-13-30.jpg
    2018-04-17-19-13-30.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2018-04-17-19-14-53.jpg
    2018-04-17-19-14-53.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2018-04-17-19-15-15.jpg
    2018-04-17-19-15-15.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 9

Monsieur_Absurd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

For some reason this thread was moved to the pickups, electronics, and general thread. You can find it here.

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/km-7-mkii-low-b-tuning-issue.329191/

Newest update is...

Hey guys - So I changed the string from a 58 gauge to a 60 and the problem seems to be even worse. Its constantly sounding either slightly too sharp or slightly too flat. Here are some pictures of the bridge.

I noticed that the cutout for the b string is the most narrow compared to the others. The string kind of just sits on the groove where you can see the other saddles have much larger cutouts and the strings sit nicely. Could the saddle be an issue? Should I switch it around with one of the higher strings saddles?

Side note, the guitar has locking tuners. Could tightening the tuner too much cause this issue? 2018-04-17-19-13-30.jpg 2018-04-17-19-14-53.jpg 2018-04-17-19-15-15.jpg

BrailleDecibel

I keep my dad jokes in a dad-a-base.
Reaction score
Looks like the saddle is an entirely different one than the other 6. It's a bit shorter, and doesn't look as well-rounded along the edges, either. I am no Hipshot expert however, having never owned a guitar with one, so hopefully someone more in the know will come along with a bit better info. Good luck, hopefully you will be riffing in tune soon!

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like the saddle is an entirely different one than the other 6. It's a bit shorter, and doesn't look as well-rounded along the edges, either. I am no Hipshot expert however, having never owned a guitar with one, so hopefully someone more in the know will come along with a bit better info. Good luck, hopefully you will be riffing in tune soon!

Oddly that's how it looks in stock photos as well? Seems to be like that by design.

KM-7%20MK-II%20NATP(FM)%20300%20TILT.png