Klon klones - Which should I possibly buy?

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a Tumnus and liked it but it got picky about other pedals. I got the Idiotbox Effects Han Taun that seems to sit better and sound just as good as the Wampler. Wouldn't mind trying the Tmnus Deluxe though
I've seen the Han-Taun, but since they tend to go for the Doom crowd, figured it would be a "doom-ized" Klon.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Is it worth getting the Deluxe over the mini Tumnus?

I like having the extra mid and bass controls, although I usually don't stray far from noon/flat with them. A little goes a long way to shape the signal to work with certain amps, though :yesway:

Another good mini option I forgot to mention before is the MXR Sugar Drive. No extra EQ options, but it does have an external switch for buffered or true bypass like the Tumnus Deluxe if that matters to you. It's also available in a normal MXR-sized enclosure under the name Fat Sugar if you prefer that size and side-mounted jacks.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jackson audio posts a clickbait-y video/title about creating a "Klon killer" that they are not going to release. For 12 minutes. Lmao wow.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like having the extra mid and bass controls, although I usually don't stray far from noon/flat with them. A little goes a long way to shape the signal to work with certain amps, though :yesway:

Another good mini option I forgot to mention before is the MXR Sugar Drive. No extra EQ options, but it does have an external switch for buffered or true bypass like the Tumnus Deluxe if that matters to you. It's also available in a normal MXR-sized enclosure under the name Fat Sugar if you prefer that size and side-mounted jacks.
I've heard that the Sugar isn't very close to a Klon. I'm curious if it is more like the Klon-esque Tube Screamer based circuit Maxon released (BYOC made a PCB called the Green Pony).

I am curious how the Tumnus Deluxe compares to the Matthews Architect.

srob7001

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I REALLY love my tumni's. I use one with my JCM800 and with my Fender Deluxe Reverb. There is nothing more I want them to do, they just sound good!

This pedal video was really cool IMO and to really hear, or not hear, the differences between 10 different Klon copies.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
Andertons and JHS have done comprehensive shootouts on YouTube, I would give those a listen to see which one you fancy.

I don't know if the clone I have is close to the real thing but I love the tone I'm getting out of it (and being all black is more my aesthetic). It was made by a guy on Reverb under "Minimal Pedal", he lists them under the name "Model K" for his Klon clones (he does make other clones as well if matte black everything is your motto)

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own the J Rocket Archer Ikon (the gold one) and can vouch for it and the regular Archer (silver, lower gain), but haven’t played the others to compare.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tumnus Deluxe is great but if going for more of a true Klon Klone sound, I'd go for the Archer. I have and love the silver one and also a JB Archer. Both are great. Love the small size and super solid feel of them as well.

Modus_Operandi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure how it stacks up to anything as never tried another Klone, but picked up a TC Electronic Zeus a few months back (along with their new RAT) and the Zeus is my favourite boost. Has a fat switch to sculpt the bass, form factor is great on a board. Can't really go wrong for the price either - £59 here in the UK.

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
The archer seems to be the generally preferred clone.

Alternate: GUPTech Horsie Overdrive. They make great pedals and are made in Canada. Very affordable as well.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the Caline Pegasus, one of the cheapest "klones" probably.

Maybe a bit thin sounding and brighter compared to the examples of a real Klon on Youtube. Don't have much use for the pedal, have used it as a clean boost here and there..