Kinda-affordable 27" scale 7 strings

I Shot JR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sup yall, I just don't have the google-fu to find whats available for 27" 7 strings, I end up getting 3/4 scale kid guitars and guitar string packs, anything but what I'm looking for.

So a few months ago I got the Ibanez 28" 6 baritone after tuning down reg scale 6's for years and I fell in love with it, but it was really eye opening 1) extended scales are awesome 2) 6 isn't enough strings 3) 28" is great...for brootz, the higher strings, even the low E, were all way too, well, for lack of a better term...djenty. Just not versatile enough.

I know about the Steph Carpenter sig and while I probably could've been able to live with the TOM bridge but not without a neck pup. And Agile isn't really possible because I'm in Oz and I'd have a heart attack when I saw the shipping quote.

Used isn't an option either because there pretty much isn't a used market for 7's in Aus, just overpriced Squiers.

The best option at the moment seems to be the 26.5" Jackson JS227 Dinky, but I'm worried it'd be too far from to the 28" that I wouldn't like it. I'd be tuning to Drop A btw.
:wallbash:

tl;dr: what options are there for 27" 7 strings in Aus?

WiseSplinter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware the only company making production 27" scale 7 strings right now is Carvin...
For drop A you should be fine with 26.5" though, I would think.

Is there a nearby Schecter dealer? KM-7 > JS227 imo :2c:

teamSKDM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agile guitars have 27 inch scale 7s for as low as like 3 or 4 hundred but i see thats not an option. Out of the "big contenders" none come to mind except schecters 26.5 scale guitars.

But honestly a baritone isnt even necesary for drop A to begin with so i think youll be happy with 26.5

7JxN7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
27" scale 7 strings in Australia aren't that easy to come by if your not looking to ship internationally, thats for new guitars anyway. I have seen quite a few Agile 7's with 27" scale selling secondhand though. If you don't think there is a secondhand market for 7's in Australia you are looking in the wrong places man, I have bought 5 over the last couple of years! :lol:

Your best chance for music shop is going to be 26.5's though, mostly your schecters and Ibanez RGD's, but then for what you would pay for one new in Australia, you could have bought and shipped a low to mid level Agile 27".

I will also add that I have bought from Rondo myself and imported it here. It really isn't that bad. Maybe let us know what sort of price range you are looking at?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since you're looking at the LTD SC, wait for the upcoming LTDs. They're introducing 27'' 7-string EC's (EC-407B), V's (V-407B), and MH's (MH-417B).

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I would definitely check out the new LTD's before buying something.
ESP has been making 27" sevenstrings since 2001 or maybe even earlier. I don't know why they waited 15 years before guitarists outside of Japan could enjoy those models.

I have a LTD SC-607B and a Japanese ESP Utratone SL-7, both 27" sevenstrings, and they're one of the most comfortable baritones I've had in my hands to this day.

Speaking of Japan, how much would importing from Japan to Australia cost for you? Plenty of choice there.