Killswitch working on “live sounding” new album

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Didn’t see a thread so I thought I’d post. Not sure about y’all but I’ve always been a huge Killswitch and Adam D fan in particular. Seen them with Howard, seen them with Jesse, even saw them once with Pat Lachman playing for Adam D lol. They are one of the first bands to really get me into “heavy” music. The End of Heartache and Through the Ashes of Empires by Machine (fucking) Head both came out around the same time, and I got super into both as soon as I heard them. I’ve been a huge fan ever since. Adam D writes awesome riffs and I always love his tone. I also really dig his production style.

Back in the day I had 2 10s in my trunk with a 500w amp and I only played metal and Killswitch always absolutely slammed lol. I was the only kid in town with a system jamming metal and I always loved it.

I’ve heard a few people say recently say they don’t like his production style, and that kinda surprised me. I always thought the other albums he produced with bands like Unearth, As I Lay, and All That Remains were tight AF. Plus, if you haven’t heard Serpentine Dominion, def give that a spin.

So what do you think? Killswitch yes or Killswitch no?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
killswitch on!

huge fan of their early stuff. got to meet jesse at a concert when he was with seemless. really chill dude...chatted with him for a bit. he was kind enough to sign my seemless cd i picked up at their merch table.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Always been a fan, just not a huge fan. Also I might be an asshole because I hated Howard's vocals

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
The vibrato and just something in the tone of his voice I didn't like. Hes an incredible vocalist, I just never liked him in that band.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Always stoked for a new KsE album, I just wish they’d branch out a bit. I suppose Times Of Grace scratches some of that itch, but I can’t even listen to the last one because it came out right as I was going through a divorce and the lyrical content was hitting way too fuckin’ close to home. It’ll be a while before I can listen to that.

I know Jesse has said he’s wanted to do some different shit in the band, it’d be awesome if they threw at least a couple different sounding tunes on an album, whatever that would be. I mean, if Lamb Of God can throw some clean singing on a record, KsE can do SOMETHING different.

Back in the day I had 2 10s in my trunk with a 500w amp and I only played metal and Killswitch always absolutely slammed lol. I was the only kid in town with a system jamming metal and I always loved it.

This just brought me back to high school. I had the same kind of setup in my Blazer for my last two years of high school in the late 90’s. I was blasting Fear Factory and Pantera all the time. We pretty much all had beat cars/trucks then, but I didn’t skimp on my system and while everyone else would keep the stock speakers in their cars and just add subs, I replaced all mine. Man, I feel like the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite right now, reminiscing about blowing everyone’s system away with metal music instead of hip hop.

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The vibrato and just something in the tone of his voice I didn't like. Hes an incredible vocalist, I just never liked him in that band.
He enunciates like the priest on The Simpsons.

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
Killswitch hell YES! Pretty much the second metal band I got into after Slipknot. Funnily, I found both bands on the Resident Evil movie soundtracks... Seen them live 3 times. The first time probably being the most memorable gig I've ever went to because it was back in 2013 and at that point I had already listened to them for almost 10 years. :)

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Killswitch , hell ya . Might see them live if I get tickets for that LoG tour .

Also , Disarm The Descent is their best album , real headbanger stuff ... yes quote me about how I'm wrong haha

Would be interesting to see what he means by " live " sounding . Like raw sound and not over produced ? Or like , musically meant to be heard live and real circle pit stuff ?

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
Really hyped for anything new from them. Always enjoy what they put out, even if nothing groundbreaking.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Killswitch , hell ya . Might see them live if I get tickets for that LoG tour .

Also , Disarm The Descent is their best album , real headbanger stuff ... yes quote me about how I'm wrong haha

Would be interesting to see what he means by " live " sounding . Like raw sound and not over produced ? Or like , musically meant to be heard live and real circle pit stuff ?

DtD was a fantastic 'comeback' album. They threw in some more guitar solos and a few other musical elements not usually found in their music and it was a massive upgrade from the total stinker of the previous album (which had 2 decent songs at most IMO). From memory, even Adam D is quoted as saying he didn't like the 2009 self titled all that much.
Since then though, they've gone AC/DC mode and released pretty much the same thing over and over again. I did like that track with Howard "The Signal Fire" I guess, but the rest has just been very standard, predictable KSE. I always hope they'll break things up a bit with some left turns here and there, a cool proggy instrumental section or something perhaps, but it just never really seems to happen.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. Never cared for Howard's vocals and only recently started listening to them again with Jesse back in the mix.

Mboogie7

Lefty's unite!
Reaction score
Love killswitch. Like you, they were my gateway to heavier stuff and Adam D just has a supreme swagger (I hate using that word haha).

He’s the only dude in metal that can wear booty shorts with a white tank and a goofy hat, while rocking a pizza guitar, and still he metal/authentic as fuck.

Killswitch for life!

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting if the main guy known for pushing super clean modern production all of a sudden wants a "live" feel, dirt and grit...

Latest posts