Kiesel ZEUS Bolt on headless waaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MrHelloGuitar, Jan 4, 2018.

1. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

This is good advice. For a long time I've wanted to get something made based on Prince's Superbowl Strat (Daphne Blue, maple board, H-S white EMGs) and was thinking this might be a cool and cheap way to do it. That thread should help talk me out of it.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

solid color under 1200. go nuts on any kiesel you want. after that...what are you doing

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

True, but based on this model, you'd think they had a patent on tasteful designs. :lol:

I can't say what it is about the Kiesel designs, but they always look like they're onto a potentially good idea, but never made it past the sketch-on-a-napkin stage. I mean, I look at stuff like Padalka, Skervesen, and even Joe B's new Dark Matter designs, and THOSE are drool worthy examples of what you can do with a single cut headless. But Kiesel keeps coming out with designs that don't give me that "OMG I NEED THAT" feeling. It's more of a, "Well, it's not a bad price. I wonder if I could do something cool, spec wise?" It's like the difference between seeing a girl in a store, and thinking, "Holy cow!" and continually trying to walk around in front of her and make excuses to turn around and look at her... vs. not having a girl friend, and there's this OK girl that your friends are telling you about, and they keep trying to show you certain pictures where she looks decent, and you think, "Well, she is nice. Maybe we would get along well?"

I mean, does Jeff truly feel that any of these recent designs will still be around, unretired, in 20 years? Or is he just maximizing profit in the short term, and figuring a few of these will work, so it's better to just take a shotgun approach? I love the frequency that he's turning out new models, but I really don't have a jonesing for any of the recent designs.

Bigfan, cardinal, Nlelith and 2 others like this.
  4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

:lol:

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

:lol::lol::lol:

6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I want to know what these guitars look like before the final stage where the fat guy sits on them.

bloc, Nlelith and Hollowway like this.
  7. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

I don't think it's the worst looking body but then again nowadays I value personal comfort over looks and this looks really comfy. I've been lurking around for a headless multiscale 8 string that won't break the bank and I have no idea what I'm doing.

$1399 for a quality brand seems like a deal but for just $100 more I can get a Vader that's neck-thru instead of bolt-on.

Also, first post in 7 years.

feilong29 and Hollowway like this.
  8. Takk

Takk SS.org Regular

I'm not a bassist but Zeus Bass looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I think the above post proves that the width of the body needs to be smaller, and proportional to the neck. It works beautifully on a 6 string bass. Even the 7 looks clunky and wide-body by comparison.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I personally would still refine the shape a bit, but it clearly IMHO looks best on that 6-string bass. Anything with a narrower (and shorter) neck, it’s just wrong looking.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 90% GAS 10% skill

the second jeff copies the padalka saturn my wallet is in trouble lol

DudeManBrother likes this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I would own (ok... at least have bought!) a ton of Carvins/Kiesels if they could just refine their shapes and headstocks a bit. The concept of what they offer is great. But I just can’t get over the aesthetics.

All of the 24-fretters have the neck too far forward relative to the body. That leaves too much space behind the bridge , making the body seem bulbous and bottom heavy. And the front horns look stubby in comparison.

And that notwithstanding, the shape of the front horns isn’t quite right. They don’t seem to flow out from the body. Too narrow where they connect to the body.

The single cuts don’t have that issue, but this guy has its own set of problems. The front lobe comes up too high and the body overall is too wide. And with the huge upper lobe, the limply little lower horn looks a bit impotent.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  13. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Dammit, I REALLY like the blue burl one. I had a Vader that I returned within the return window because I realized I don't really dig headless guitars. If I was going to get another solid body guitar, a bare bones version of this would be high on the list.

So would a divorce I have been told.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Uggghhh..... Fugly. I have found most of their recent designs fugly. I have kind of lost interest with them over the last year due to the fugly designs and issues documented on this site.

I still want a DC600 though. I still think those look pretty good. I like the Aries also, but if I am getting a Kiesel, it needs to be 25" scale. That is, IMO, what makes them stand out. I have a SCB6 that just plays amazing, even if I don't love the looks.

15. KnightBrolaire

[​IMG]
    if the bevel was black this would look pretty nice. I can't stand that antique ash look.

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's the artificially aged thing, but for folks who make fun of it when Fender does it.

Bigfan likes this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

If I wanted my guitar to look like it was made from a barn door then I'd actually make it from a damn barn door. It just looks dumb having a faded/antiqued back/bevel and not doing it to the top as well.

Hollowway likes this.
  18. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I'd say natural on the bevel, but yeah not a fan of the dropped it in the dirt and rolled it around a bit finishes. Also not a fan of not filling voids in burl, especially that spot that looks like it is right where your arm would sit, but that is another story.

19. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

I actually find this one sexy, in a weird way.

20. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

You guys are right the proportions on the bass just look so much better.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Hollowway likes this.