Kiesel vs Ernie Ball Music Man Build Quality

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by bmth4111, Sep 20, 2019.

1. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

How does Kiesel stack up to Ernie Ball Music man in terms of build quality and over all fit and finish. Really considering both brands but over all build quality will be a big deciding factor.

I am unable to try a Kiesel and will try a Jp15 7 string soonish. The ebmm guitars look flawless and so ergonomic, wondering if the kiesel dc700x would stack up.

Attached Files:

Brutalnecro likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Eh, probably about even said and done. I've owned both and wouldn't really say one is head and shoulders above the other.

Really it's going to come down to player preference.

3. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

the JP15 is the nicest guitar I've played ever.
    Had a top-of-the-line Kiesel and wanted to trade it for a JP BFR

now, regarding quality; both brands were excellent, so it really depends on what you are looking for in an instrument

4. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

The few EBMM I owned were great. Their trem system is great and neck fell/finish is best in business IMO. Customer service seems great.

Never played a Kiesel but hear a lot of people love them and that the quality is usually great. There are some duds from time to time popping up on forums though and their customer service will tell you to F off. Resale is much worse than EBMM too.

If you care at all about service and resale, I would say stick with EBMM.

Wolfhorsky and @zwen like this.
  5. @zwen

@zwen Well-Known Member

Both are very good guitars, but I would go with Ernie Ball. Kiesel makes some beautiful guitars though.

6. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Ernie Ball’s quality is higher, and I’ve owned a few JPs including JP15s and they’ve been very solid. I’ve also owned a good few Kiesels and they’re pretty fantastic as well, the odd QC issue aside. I would probably try a JP before you buy; for whatever reason (probably just my playing style), I tend to have issues with slipping the high E off the edge of the fretboard. Just my two cents.

7. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Funny enough I just traded my brand new Kiesel for a JP16, honestly might be the best trade I've ever made. Quality wise they're pretty close, but I think Music Man just takes that slight extra step in small details making it look higher quality. The reality is, you'll be more than happy with either one. The more and more I realize it, Kiesels are just glorified MIK guitars. They are just a made to order factory with excellent quality. My biggest problem though is you can tell where they cut corners on their guitars compared to other high end brands or actual custom shops.

8. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Ha
    I’ve had problems with both.....

9. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Never had an EBMM but I have had a Kiesel. Build quality was excellent... flawless guitar. But I never gelled with it and subsequently sold it. It was a seven string so ymmv but I've played many seven strings from different manufacturers and never had much problem acclimating/ adjusting to subtle differences between brands/ specs. Something about the Kiesel neck profile or width or materials just left me uninspired. I'd go for an EBMM any day just from all the positive reviews. Plus- Fuck Kiesel's return "policy" and customer "service". I have had issues in that regard.

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Can you get a JP in Galactic Watermelon Burst?

Check. Mate.

11. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I own both. The quality is even.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire War-Bard

If you can stomach the godawful EBMM headstock design, then yeah they're great guitars. Personally I found my kiesels to be basically on par with most of the EBMMs I've tried. YMMV

erdiablo666 likes this.
  13. noise in my mind

Lol, my buddy says the same thing about my ebmm guitras. I always thought the headstocks looked kinda cool, like a mini strat head.

Mathemagician and XPT707FX like this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire War-Bard

It's fine on some designs, like the JP, but I absolutely hate the way it looks against the Albert Lee/St. Vincent bodies. Pointy bodies need pointy headstocks yo

Wolfhorsky, AxeHappy and XPT707FX like this.
  15. noise in my mind

I'll concur with you on those guitars. Both of my ebmm's are JP models :D

XPT707FX likes this.
  16. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Basically on par in terms of pure quality. Obviously very different specs but a JP is still 2x the cost of a moderately spec'd kiesel

17. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Even quality. Both have the potential to look gaudy as hell.

Sollipsist likes this.
  18. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy SS.org Regular

I cant speak for anything but this: the JP series from EBMM seems to be the most consistent and most improved upon guitar (and model series) since its evolution. I dont think you can get a better guitar than the majesty. Literally, I dont think you can buy a better guitar, even if its custom hand made by Kiesel, which has a great rep, i just dont see any guitar touching the majesty by leaps in bounds by almost every spec.....maybe if you paid double of what the EBMM costs, you could get something AS GOOD , maybe(?).....but idk , thats just my oversimplified view of all the guitars I’ve seen, especially 7 strings.

19. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

That is very subjective though. A majesty is $3k, no doubt high quality and great specs, although you can argue the trem is lacking (vs floyd and edge variants) and some finishes are pretty ugly. The strength of Kiesel is you can pick specs and looks that a majesty can't match either, and will likely be much cheaper. I would argue objectively a USA fly is the closest to a majesty and is a better instrument (better trem, faster neck and heel, lighter, carbon fiber, with piezo).

AxeHappy likes this.
  20. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

haven't played a Kiesel but I think Carvin counts, does it not? decently built guitars and a bass that I tried. Not a bad thing there was to say, although I am not a fan of their proprietory pickups.
    On the other hand, I owned an EBMM JP7 and was disappointed with all sorts of corner cutting. The build was nice, it sounded great, but the attention to detail was lacking and totally mismatched the price range. The body was glued from planks that hadn't been dried right, so with time it became more and more visible on the back of the body. Someone'd thought using fairly hot humbuckers without any shielding was a good idea (tin foil? yeah right! you wish). The rubber grip rings on the knobs broke all the time, I tried glueing them, it didn't work. I ordered new rings but they cost some ridiculous amount, like $6 apiece? smth like that. The trem arm tension setting hex screw was too short so it would fall inside the body each time I would replace the arm. I may be in the minority, or else there may have been a production flaw but the EBMM Moderm Trem was driving me nuts: it just wouldn't stay in tune for one song (no, not the tuners). I ordered a new bridgeplate and new studs that were installed by a good meticulous luthier. It was a bit better but didn't cure. I don't think basswood is a bad tonewood and the JP sounded fine but I really don't find it proper to charge that much for a basswood non-fancy top solid color bodied guitar. BTW I ordered a big batch of EBMM JP sets of strings for this guitar and those proved inconsistent: with each and every new pack of that the intonation was all over the bridge. The low B string was a trick to intonate
    Trying to solve my issues I sumbled across a guy who was struggling with his Majesty. The bridge wasn't working right and the piezo preamp was fooling around. He ordered another but that didn't work. I don't know if he finally got it right.

I sold my EBMM JP7 and bought a MIJ Schecter Japan SD-7-24 that is a noticeably better built guitar at a fraction of cost of the JP. Also, it wasn't really an option I was specifically after, but it has an alder body with a quilt top and a natural wood binding. It even has a matching quit cap on the headstock whereas the EBMM JP7 was just blank that looked ridiculous, taken the gorgeous wine red sparkling 'spotlight whore' body.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.