Kiesel VM7 pickup options: Guitarmory, Instrumental, Lundgren?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Krucifixtion, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

Hey all, need some input on different pickups for a Kiesel Vader Multiscale 7. The Kiesel Lithium pickups aren't bad pickups, but the bridge especially just isn't for me. It's a little too bright and almost too clear/twangy in a way that doesn't suit me. I'm more of a ceramic bridge guy.

1. I love the Lundgren M7, but I am looking for something that's just a touch more versatile. I'm uncertain on the Black Heavens and I know that having custom built Lundgren will be the most expensive option.

2. The Instrumental Pickups SFTY-3's seem like a good option, but still haven't heard enough to be certain.

3. Guitarmory has great options too, but I am even less certain on them than the Instrumental Pickups. Looking at the Foxbat possibly.

The guitar has Swamp Ash body, Buckeye Maple top, 7 Piece neck - Black Limba with 2 White Limba, and 2 Purple Heart strips, as well as Ebony Fretboard. The guitar is already tonally pretty clear sounding. Active pickups are out of the question on this one.

TheaterOfTheme likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

out of those options, the m7 will be the brightest, then sfty3, then foxbats.

Personally I'd take the foxbats, or maybe a polaris set if you want something even warmer sounding. Either option will be more versatile than the M7 or sfty3 sets ime.

3. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

the angle on the muilti scale has to be taken in to consideration. I know guitarmory does angled pickups, and they can even rewind your stock pickups. The kiesel routes are tight fitting so any other brand may require that you trim the mounting legs of the pickup.

I think either way guitarmory is your best bet. I love the foxbat set I have, they are a medium output and very clear and articulate.

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Angles for Kiesel multiscale pickups:
    6-string: 10.2304 degrees
    7-string: 13.339 degrees
    8-string: 11.0186 degrees

Their pickup routes are always a bit form-fitting to their pickups, but on multiscale, since there's no covered pickups available, they are even tighter.

From the forum and the facebook group:
    - Instrumental Pickups can
    - Seymour Duncan can, but it can take a looong while
    - Bare Knuckle pickups has angled pickups, but while they say they are "close enough", some find that they aren't.
    - Elysian Pickups can
    - Someone posted: "I think Oil City Pickups can"
    - Wolftone can do re-winds on the existing pickups...not sure if they can make 'fresh' angles pickups without existing base plates.
    - Guitarmory also does re-winds and also new pickups

jarledge likes this.
  5. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

I have a set of SFTY3-7 in my VM7 and love them. They are bright though, but doesn't hit that obnoxious frequency range like the lithium's do. I really like the split sound as well in both bridge and neck. These are very clear and modern sounding. Best for drop tunings.

I looked at guitarmory as well and would still like to try them, but out of all of the options, Instrumental were the cheapest and Ethan has already built several pickups for Kiesel multiscale models, so no "custom shop" or special orders.

The downside was that I had to order through an Instagram message. Worked out fine though and actually ordered another SFTY3/Decomp set for my V8.

6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Guitarmory rewind is $80 and is guaranteed to fit in your guitar. I love my Foxbats, they're absolutely insane and cover a lot of ground.

7. Krucifixtion

I think i'm looking towards the SFTY-3's the most. What's the difference between the SFTY-3 and Decomp? Is it a ceramic bridge?

8. Krucifixtion

Can they rewind Lithiums to sound like their pickups? I'd still have an Alnico pickup though. Are yours alnico or ceramic? I'm confused as to why their ceramic option shows that you get a ceramic neck as well?

9. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Mine are alnico. Their order form is kinda shit but if you just message them or whatever you can mix magnets in your set if you want. I don't really know the details of rewinding.

10. Krucifixtion

I'm still also interested in the Black Heavens, but I don't think I've seen Lundgrens in a multiscale Vader yet. Considering I have seen both Instrumental and Guitarmory in one I will probably stick with that route I guess. Sounds to me like the SFTY-3 might have what I'm looking for, but what is more similar for Guitarmory? Foxbat or Orion? Maybe a Ceramic Foxbat would be my style.

11. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I don’t have much to add other than I really dig my Black Heaven in my RG7620.

12. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I recently got a set of Guitarmory Atlas’s and they sound great. The rewind, I am told, sounds exactly like the regular one. My recent order went 5 weeks if that matters at all for you.

13. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Yeah, the rewinds sound just like the new ones. You can mix and match if you let us know in the comments on the order btw. I did that for a bunch of sets I ordered even. If you want something with different magnets than what you're sending in, we swap it to what you need to have for the set you want.

I have a set of SFTY3s and several Guitarmory sets. There's nothing that really compares imo but I don't mean that in a good way towards the SFTY3s. I don't like my SFTY3 set because it seems very anemic/thuddy compared to the Guitarmory sets I own. I think I have like 9 out of 12 of the current offerings? plus some that are in the works. The ceramic Orion would probably be closest but it's still a lot fuller/filled-in-EQ-wise than the SFTY3 set. I was really underwhelmed when I got those considering how much they were talked up.

The Atlas set is my favorite though out of what's available right now. I have a personal set that is going to be offered stock soon which is my ultimate fave though. I actually have that prototype set in a mahogany Kiesel Aries A7H which I took Lithiums out of. lol

14. LeviathanKiller

Please delete

triple-post. dangit
    Firefox freaked out on me because of an update lol

15. LeviathanKiller

Please delete

triple-post. dangit
    Firefox freaked out on me because of an update lol

16. Krucifixtion

I think I won't bother with rewinding the Lithiums. I will just keep those 100% stock just in case. Still considering the Foxbat, but maybe I will consider the Atlas as well. How does the midrange of those 2 compare? I am looking for decent amount of mid, but still somewhat balanced and I don't want anything that's so hot that it's just messy or too bassy.

17. LeviathanKiller

Atlas set isn't bassy but it has a high-mid point. I like that because it translates to clarity and a really tactile kind of sound for me.

The Foxbat set is going to be more balanced though. It's the most balanced set of all really. It's very full across the most of the spectrum without a overly huge low end or overly shrill high end. Kinda of like a big bubble on an EQ graph with nice tapers at each end but full where it matters.

I've tried my Foxbat sets in ash and mahogany and same for the Atlas sets.

18. Krucifixtion

Are your Foxbat and Atlas alnico? I'm usually a ceramic bridge fan. I'm just concerned that the Atlas might be too hot for my current setup. With my boost and amp I already have to back off my gain a lot. So medium output is fine it's more the EQ. I'm just not sure I dig alnico in the bridge. Wondering if a ceramic Foxbat would do the trick for me, but I do dig a pickup with some added upper mid just not way too much. The guitar is pretty loud and bright so I don't want to overdo it.

19. LeviathanKiller

I have two ceramic Atlas sets, one alnico 5 (bridge) and 4 (neck) Atlas set, one ceramic Foxbat set, and one alnico 5 Foxbat set.
    The Foxbat and Atlas sets are pretty close in output. The Atlas takes the edge in higher output but not by much. I think it's due more to the frequency profile hitting harder than it is just a sheer output difference though.

20. TheaterOfTheme

TheaterOfTheme SS.org Regular

Hey y'all. I have a Kiesel multiscale 8 string that I am trying to get new pickups for. Is it generally known that the guitarmory pickups will fit without modifications? I've messaged BKP and it sounds like I'd have to modify the cavities if I went their route. If no mods are needed with the Guitarmory PU's, then that sounds like the way to go!

Also, LeviathonKiller--
    I am really stuck between the Red Stone, Foxbat, Minuteman, and Voyager. The Redstone and Foxbat are near the top for what I think I need, but I messaged Guitarmory and they recommended the Voyager (which I am not really sure why, tbh). You seem like the resident pro of all things Guitarmory. Also, I loved your Red Stone pickup review on Youtube! Great work man.

I am basically looking for something that can do modern metal (not super 'djenty', but very articulate and clear, think Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders) and also be able to pull off a bit of jazz and fusion. The key is the low end has to be tight to some degree as this is for an 8 string. I am not getting the impression that the Voyager excels in that realm, but I am getting the impression that the other 3 mentioned do. I suppose the Minuteman is likely the highest gain of the 4 and least likely to be able to accomadate the jazz/fusion stuff. This leaves me mostly between the Red Stone and the Foxbat...

Any help between all these is greatly appreciated!