Kiesel --- Never Again!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MetalHead40, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I've got a Moses Graphite neck on one of my Strats. While it is a bit more resistant to bending out of shape, it's not immune and still has a truss rod. But, in my experience, you really just have to avoid leaving it in INTENSE heat. As in, trunk of a car in Texas.... Don't ask me how I know that...

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I've got a Flaxwood that is made of injection moulded wood fiber and resin. Body, neck and even the nut are of the same material. I don't think I have ever adjusted its truss rod.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

They shouldn't budge. Some wood necks with enough reinforcements don't even have trussrods (Vigier)

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

This...although to be clear, their necks are 10% carbon, and it's a beam running down the center of the neck....it's more like it's a super skinny carbon neck, with wood "wings" along for the ride almost as void-fill. They also claim that it helps eliminate neck vibration, which...if you're picking wood for tone, that just about takes it out of the equation.
    [​IMG]

5. V_man

V_man SS.org Regular

About trussrodless guitars. In spanish speaking countries we call that the soul of the guitar "el alma de la guitarra". So why would you want a guitar without a soul?.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

But aren't truss rods a recent invention? Also quite a few classical guitars, even expensive ones, don't have truss rods. Are spanish speakers buying guitars based on truss rod tone?

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. spudmunkey

I mean...honestly, going from a slack truss rod to one with tension on it can actually have a pretty pronounced effect on tone/feel. [/canofworms]

Hollowway likes this.
  8. V_man

V_man SS.org Regular

The same amount of people that buy gibsons because they smell like vainilla. Also I don't like to theorize about guitar nor do I smell them. Just play the thing. If I like how they sound I keep it. If not I continue searching

9. spudmunkey

You get the same smell from a G&G case. I forget if it's an adhesive, or an anti-fungal sort of protectant that is sprayed in the cases at some times of the year. I think...

10. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

Supposedly, Aristides’ necks are very stable because their composite material isn’t affected by humidity. I haven’t owned one though so I can’t say for sure.

11. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Aristides necks move very little, to be honest, and it does take them a good while to even budge, which is a godsend on the road. There are wooden guitars that are able to have tremendous resilience to humidity and temp changes, mind you, but it's the consistency you know they'll have in that respect that makes this trait all the more reassuring.

12. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

When I owned one it never moved for months. They do move, but no where near the typical wood neck. Like what Fred said though, a wood neck can be made to withstand humidity and temp change just as good as an Aristides neck.

13. spudmunkey

I know. I know that Aristides put a shit-ton of time, effort and cost into developing their material science. I know that it's basically proven to be a superior (in function) material. I know that they don't use the same PVC plastic-wrapped foam brick mold trim that I installed around an exterior door on the side of my garage....

...but mentally, I keep thinking about how that door trim expands/contracts like crazy in the sun/changing temps. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  14. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Well, to be honest, you need to think that Arium itself is a porous material, so that could eventually happen in theory, were it not wrapped in a stiff as fuck exoskeleton made out of carbon and glass fiber, and good luck bending that by changing humidity or inducing temperature variations that don't kill you outright. :lol:

Hollowway and Wolfhorsky like this.
  15. spudmunkey

"My neck started moving, but it's not that big of a big deal since I've drowned/been boiled/flash frozen."

Hollowway, LordIronSpatula and Edika like this.
  16. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Need an extra-vehicular space demo to be sure on these Aristedes.

17. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

It'd be a hell of a commercial at least.

The906 likes this.
  18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just picturing one guy trying to smash it onstage like Kurt Cobain/every rockstar ever and it just bouncing back like “nope”. Then he digs in and smashes it a few more times and barely dents the bridge.

19. spudmunkey

...and then someone takes lighter fluid and a torch to it, and it burns black, stinky smoke, and melts (unless it's not that type of material...then maybe it just blisters and cracks?)

20. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Concert flamenco and classical guitars generally don't because they are made and braced properly and more importantly have correctly cured cedar sometimes mahogany necks. Most cheap factory ones do because well it's factory made.