Kiesel --- Never Again!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MetalHead40, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

See here's the problem though and I'm one to part of it too. Every single time for the past two years we all say "oh it will be minimal" but those add up. They have added up too much to make it worth it (to me at least). It's harder to keep things minimal specs-wise to keep the price down unless you keep everything stock. As someone who has been supportive of this company for a few years now, I'm no longer when it comes to new Kiesels. Yes, for cheap customs they are still #1, but as for quality/price there are better options now a days.

Dark Aegis likes this.
  2. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

Dude, their price increases are actually pretty goddamn significant.

All of the them individually may not seem like much, but when you add $50-200 to every single upgrade and there's like 20 possible upgrades...that's going to be significant.

Osiris that I got right before their latest price increase was $1350, and when I was speccing out another one a few weeks ago with almost the exact same specs it was around $1600. That's pretty significant, especially if they're about to increase it again.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

The thing is, when they used to raise prices, you wouldn't know it until a catalog arrived with new prices. And by then, they'd already have been in place for a little while because pricing was invalid after certain dates mentioned in the catalogs. I fail to see an issue with mentioning that prices are going up ahead of time. Is the issue simply with adding, "...so order now before prices go up"? Hardly seems worth being upset about (as a separate issue from the price increase, itself).

Same thing with models being discontinued. They basically read off a list of models that are no longer being carried going forward, and then still allow for a window to order them (just without the trial period). Again, before, you wouldn't know if a model was discontinued until it happened, and you might not be able to get it anyway. Heck, models disappeared from the catalog because they only paid for a certain number of catalog pages, and people thought they were already discontinued anyway. :lol:

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That $1600 is still a great deal.

Lord Voldemort and spudmunkey like this.
  5. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

No arguments here, you know I'm the biggest Kiesel fanboy around. Just saying, the price increase while being fairly modest can be pretty significant if you're still dreaming of those Carvin $900-1200 days.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  6. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Just from reading this forum everyone should steer clear of this company

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  7. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Keep in mind you are hearing from the same few people most of the time.

Hell, MatiasTolkki has probably half the posts in this thread.

Like Max has said, keep your build simple, don't make any requests above and beyond the options presented, and chances pretty damn good are you'll be fine.

Matt08642 likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

The increases aren't nothing, but I don't think they're really significant enough to push 99% of them away from someone who was seriously interested in buying anyway, especially on something really niche like headless guitars.

What's preferable? A $2200 Indo Strandberg? A $1800 Korean Ormsby that might take years for delivery? One of the few smaller import lines like Neko?

We've been accustomed to great pricing on Carvin/Kiesel stuff, and we've mostly taken it for granted. They seem to be correcting their pricing to the market, which is natural.

Matt08642 likes this.
  9. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Do you guys think the GIS (basic->ornate) is a pretty solid bet for highly-consistent quality?

10. MaxOfMetal

That's a pretty unfair assessment.

I've been a staunch critic of Kiesel, but I would never give a blanket "steer clear" on them.

Just order smart and deal with any issues that come up immediately and to the fullest extent.

Too many returned/b-stock stuff goes in GIS, not to mention the minimal discount.

Reverb would be a better bet if you want something ready-made.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  11. CGrant109

CGrant109 SS.org Regular

I've had 3 different builds with Kiesel over the last 3 years, and I've never had an issue, aside from one of their CS reps fumbling around on confirming my shipping address. I wouldn't say steer clear from this company, they are offering great guitars at competitive pricing. You'll always come across a few issues on builds every so often, it's just going to happen. I don't agree with how some of the situations have been handled, but I would argue going into the build with knowing exactly what you're ordering will make things a lot smoother (this isn't applicable to the most recent issue being discussed, although my recent build I made also had the "less color differentiation" and it's completely black ebony for a fretboard)

12. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

This is why I would never do business with them.

Wolfhorsky and Matt08642 like this.
  13. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Yeah I could never do business with a company that might ship me a guitar they designed in a case they designed and then tried telling me the paint chips are from the case, then refuse to fix it lmao

Wolfhorsky and noise in my mind like this.
  14. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

That doesnt constitute a lemon. Ive heard plenty of lemon cases in this thread alone

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  15. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I'm saying if Kiesel can't even get that story straight, I'd not trust their builds either.

Wolfhorsky and MetalHex like this.
  16. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

It’s not that Kiesel ships a couple stinkers here and there. It’s that they tend to handle them quite poorly.

Wolfhorsky, Matt08642 and Hollowway like this.
  17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

But the $100 off options is for a limited time, though, so don't wait too long. I may stop at any decade.

18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I actually do remember when that promo started, but it's the "50% off options" promo that I *think* may have arrived on the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

:lol: Well, either way, I'm certainly not complaining. I'll take whatever savings I can get!

20. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Is it really savings if the price increases have eclipsed the promotion that's been offered for the beginning of time?

It's like the Fallout 76 emote bundle scandal, half off! But it was never the higher cost in the first place :lol:

[​IMG]

Albake21 likes this.