Kiesel --- Never Again!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MetalHead40, Mar 7, 2017.

1. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I asked for these things and all they offered was $100 off or for me to return the guitar to be fixed. They said a rebuild was not needed. At least the guitar sounds and plays pretty well, but cosmetically it's B stock grade, not new. In all honesty, my old agile spetor pro was in better shape when it arrived.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Why no "10 day return guarantee"?

Ribboz likes this.
  3. noise in my mind

I wanted the guitar. I like this guitar. I figured they could fix the issues. I gambled and lost.

4. MaxOfMetal

Happens to the best of us.

Ribboz, TheDandy, AxeHappy and 2 others like this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Never go for the fix option.

It’s wood guys. Fixing this stuff isn’t like fixing a bike.

It’s filled and finished over. It’s never really fixed.

6. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Shame to hear about that, really. :(

7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The pictures are out of focus so hard to tell much with them but to me these seem like such inconsequential issues that I would not care if the guitar is otherwise good. They did say that the fretboard was also according to the selected option. Maybe there was miscommunication about what happened but that's why I've recommended emailing Kiesel instead of ordering through the website so you can ask questions and make sure you are on the same page on what you are getting.

I had some dye under the nut on my Kiesel AM7 and a few side dots a bit off center and got a small refund (I asked for beer money, I got a lot more) and was happy with that. The guitar is one of my best playing ones and I love it. It's not like I notice the small visual flaws when one is almost never visible and the other is not something I consider when playing.

While it sucks that these things happen, at the end of the day you are getting a Kiesel at 1) lower price than a similarly specced custom guitar from most other companies and 2) much faster. I waited I think 4 months for the Kiesel whereas my Skervesen took 12 months to build.

8. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Yeah as trendy as it is to shit on Kiesel, they aren't to blame for you thinking ebony is solid black wood

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I'm kinda on the manufacturer's side on the ebony (they USED to call the upgrade 'streak free', but they couldn't meet that expectation, so they changed it a couple years ago)...but this line above is stupid.

"The case we provided must be damaging your guitar. Yep. *twiddles thumbs* That must be it."

It reminds me of the time I was at a Chili's, and we found blue plastic in the beef. "Oh, the blue must be something that got into the beef...." and then she just looked at us with a blank stare, like she was done. The blue in the meat must have been something blue that got into the meat. That was the response she thought was satiafactory. "....and? Is that all you have to say about it?" :lol: (to be clear, I could see the kitchen griddle from our booth and had an idea of what it was...the meat patties were on a tray covered in plastic with blue priting on it, and I bet the plastic hit the grill and a piece stuck to the grill, shrivled and got stuck to a burger. i've had something similar when dumping meat out of a grocery store package into a hot pan...but still...)

10. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Yeah I agree with this. While I feel like they probably just grab whatever and didn't pay attention to the "less streaking" request, wood is wood and I guess nothing is guaranteed. But the damage thing (although hard to see from the pics) really isn't acceptable. You're gonna ding it up eventually yourself, but giving it to you like that new just doesn't cut it—and the excuse is beyond stupid.

noise in my mind likes this.
  11. noise in my mind

Actually that is the definition of A grade ebony and that's what I paid for. This one is B Grade and has massive blonde streaks across the entire fingerboard.

12. noise in my mind

Yeah, good analogy. It's really ridiculous that their own case can't protect a guitar two times in a row. They refuse to give me any money back for the damage.

13. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Can you take a picture of the whole fretboard? You keep saying there's big streaks but it's hard to tell when you are taking the pictures so close. Also you're incorrect about Grade A ebony. Grade A does indeed have streaks in it.

Matt08642 likes this.
  14. noise in my mind

I disagree, when I buy a new guitar I expect a new guitar and especially at this price range. I don't expect to get dented B stock. Like I stated earlier my $500 Agile came in better shape.

15. noise in my mind

not according taylor (7:40-8:00)

16. Albake21

He's talking about Grade A in general. Meaning Grade A/A+, AA, and AAA. All three are black ebony but Grade A has streaks in it. Here's a good source on it explaining the differences.

https://www.exoticwood.biz/ebony.htm

Wolfhorsky and Hollowway like this.
  17. noise in my mind

Ah, thanks for the correction. I am not familiar with wood grades, I just assumed that the extra money I paid would get me the best ebony. Jeff Kiesel always brags about how they handpick the best wood etc.

Ribboz and Hollowway like this.
  18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Wood grading is mostly arbitrary. You can use it to compare woods from the same suppliers, but it's not really meant to compare one company's AAA to another. Until you get to plywood, where there's a bit more industry-wide standards when it comes to patched and sanded veneers, but still no official grading body, or anything like that.

AxeHappy, noise in my mind and xzacx like this.
  19. Albake21

Just want to add, Kiesel just posted on their Instagram that base prices for every model will be increasing starting July 1st..... yeah fuck it I'm done with this company. Once my AM7 is done, no more. I swear they increase their prices every other month. I'd rather pay slightly more for a much nicer custom at these prices.

That's Jeff Kiesel in a nutshell sadly.

noise in my mind likes this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

The "hurry up and put an order in before prices increase" has been a primary sales driver for them for awhile now.

Chances are this new price increase is going to be minimal, and even if it's a couple hundred dollars, Kiesel are still a solid deal unless you choose stupid, entirely aesthetic, options.

Matt08642 likes this.