Kiesel Finally Finished Their Multiscale Bass...

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by LordIronSpatula, Dec 30, 2016.

1. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

[​IMG]

It's already been out about a week, but I've seen no mention of it here. So just in case anyone missed it...

http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/vm59k

I know a lot of folks were expecting a multiscale Icon or Vader.

I kinda dig it. Personally I think the Vanquish looks more natural with fanned frets than straight. I'm not super sold on the upper horn, but maybe it will grow on me...

2. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

It is nice to have an affordable 36" bass.

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, the body had a melted look to it that works well with fanned frets. Still not a looker, though. IMHO.

4. LordIronSpatula

I agree, but I would rather have 37". Still though, the fact that you can get an MIA multiscale for a price comparable to (or lower than) a Combustion is pretty sweet. The possibility that I could get an ebony fretboard and stainless frets is a big plus. If I was in the market for a bass it would be a tough decision between the two, but I'm not. :D

5. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel Dinkleberg

I don't like fanned frets most of the time, but they work on this bass. Usually they are an instant GAS-killer for me, so kudos to Kiesel for making them look cool to me. The blacker-than-thou aesthetic of this particular bass doesn't hurt, either. :lol:

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, happy they're doing it, but the low end needs to be longer for those of us that want to go to F#. All 3 of us. :lol: Otherwise, super cool that they're expanding their options at this crazy rate. I honestly have no idea where they're going to go now. Fanned everything, 8 string trems, headless models. Maybe an 8 string semihollow? I'd be into that.

7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I'm so bummed it wasn't based on the Icon. I just don't like how the horns on the Vanquish look. A multiscale Vader bass would be pretty cool too.

I wish they would just make all their models multiscale so you didn't have to pick based on if you want that or not.

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Those basses are a steal for that price. If the euro to dollar wasn't so bad I'd be tempted.

At the start they were just testing the waters since they were very unsure if there was an actual market for them. Now they could offer the majority of their range since the demand is there.

9. LordIronSpatula

I bet choosing the Vanquish was a cost-saving measure. Since it's a bolt-neck platform, I initially thought they only had to design and program CNC for the necks, and possibly drilling for the bridge. But upon closer examination, it appears they also reshaped the bottom contour of the body to allow for the angle of the bridge. (I think the offset there is what makes the lines of the multiscale flow better.) Still, I imagine it's simpler to create a new bolt-on neck and make whatever adjustments are necessary to the body than to make one of the neckthroughs into a multiscale.

Jeff said in a video that he was open to introducing more multiscale bass models in the future, but that the determining factor would be how well the Vanquish multi sells. I for one think the Xcellerator bass is their best candidate for a multiscale version, particularly if they give it a more offset contour like the VM59K.

I really wouldn't be surprised if fitting into one of their existing cases was a factor in their choice of scale length. That's the reason they give for refusing to put an inline headstock on their DC7X guitar.

10. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Every one of the major companies to do multiscale seems to be apprehensive about really going for it and having 37" or longer for the low string. I dont get the point. The physics of bass are such that you need to go significantly longer to get a couple steps lower and still sound good. For me Dingwall is still the top of the heap in this respect. Doesn't hurt that the NG2 also comes with the darkglass preamp and the excellent pickup arrangement that provides the huge dual humbucker in series tone.

11. Hollowway

Yeah, which makes me wonder if they shouldn't have gone with the 34-37" scale to get the Dingwall crowd. (Apart from it maybe not fitting into the case, as was mentioned.) It's like when Ibanez did a fanned model and put the perpendicular fret at the 12th. It's like they aren't reading forums to see what everyone is buying. I have no use for a perp 12th fret, but give me 7th (to get the first and 24th frets at the same angle) and I would have snapped up the 8 string.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

13. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

14. Hollowway

Huh, yeah I didn't know ESP had that too. I've been trawling the ESP site the last couple of months because I picked up a Doris Yeh sig (from Nick at the Axe Palace), and I missed that bass. I got a NS-2 Dingy recently, but these are a great alternative.

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

pretty cool they are doing this, but I could never bond with that shape bass sadly.

is far too big. If you delete the bevel parts, it actually has a nice shape for a bass. But with those bevels sections the bass becomes way too big for my liking. Plus that headstock is a turnoff for me too.

Sad, because I like the endless options to "customise" your bass

16. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

All four of us ;)
    My 7-string Wolf is a mere 35", and a .185 F# seems a Bit on the heavy side..

Mmnn.. truly a custom Hollow, no?.. :yesway:

17. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

I hate how companies try to pick bodys styles and other asthetic choices Im not keen on to judge sales to determine using new tech. If they went with the vader off the bat he would sell tons. Also 36" is only a marginal benefit over the normal 35. Going 37" would make a lot more sense imho. Well hopefully these sell well so they can release more models later. I'm still hoping for a quality 7 string multi scale under 2k maybe someday

18. LordIronSpatula

7 string Vader? 33.5"-37"? Sounds like a winner.

19. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

The difference between 35 and 36 is bigger percentage-wise than the difference between 36 and 37. Knowing Kiesel, they likely tested out a few different options and figured this was the best one.

Not saying that they're right, but they are big on ergonomics and balance and stuff and that could explain why they didn't copy the market leader Dingwall.

20. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party