Kiesel Aries 8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ferret, Jan 1, 2016.

1. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Wouldn't say anyones negative towards Carvin most folks know what level they are just this model, it has recieved a fair bit since it came out people just not gel'ing with it.

I know the Square joint will be playable, but when Jeff talks about Comfort and Ergonomics wanting to make sure guitars are balanced properly before putting them out for sale, he puts a Square joint on it? Like really?

On an 8 I can see how it would put people off, it doesn't bother me too much I have big hands, but I would still rather have something else, plus the neck doesn't care in to the body it's got that flat spot at the end for the square joint I just don't like those.

I know they're USA made but they don't draw me in I really want a Carvin but i'm in the EU so shipping charge will be big. I was just pointing out the similarities in shape between the Schecter and Aries, Keisel seems to have copied (Maybe unintentionally) a few bits of the last year. Yes they're not Identical and no one can stop anyone from putting a bevel in a guitar.

I know the Carvin will trump the Schecter but when they look so similar and the Schecter has a carved heel I just found it amusing is all :)

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I mean in general, there's a lot of negativity towards Carvin/Kiesel and it's for really arbitrary reasons or pulling at straws IMO. I see what you mean on your points though, having played a few I didn't notice it when I was playing up top because it stays out of your way until you're at the 24th fret playing in that range.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

The hate toward Carvin you're seeing isn't about the guitars per se. I mean, we all have guitars we like and do not like. It's the over the top marketing. Like was said, don't say all other multiscales are uncomfortable and not ergonomic, and then out a 1980s square heel in it. You're just opening yourself up to being made fun of. I realize that this has nothing to do with this non-fanned model, but it's just an example of why people are getting tired of all the hyperbolic marketing.

4. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

I haven't noticed any round here?

I'll take your word for it, I've played a lot of square joints and I just notice them more than All access ones, while I can reach the same spots it's usually more present.

But I doubt I'll ever get to try one since I've never even seen a Carvin in Scotland :(

5. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Who cares if it has a square heel if your hand never touches it? I've played plenty of guitars with square heels that never get touched because my pinky hits the inner bout of the lower horn before its an issue. I haven't played one yet, but its unsurprising to me that people would go on about it. I'll let you guys know if the square heel is in the way or not when my buddies 7 string comes is.

Also, 27" is more than enough for a low E, and likely beyond. (I currently play a 26.5 a whole step down.) Also, its a kiesel. If you think itd be better with ebony, order it with ebony.

6. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

^^^ Pretty much, and to be honest I'm part of the Wired Guitarist community and people keep talking about the over the top marketing and how they're pushed so hard over there. And I had to look up Jeff saying that his Multiscale was more comfortable than the others he's gotten his hands on. And I'm on the internet quite a bit since my work involves being connected and communicating with people over social media. Just unfollow the page if you don't like their marketing, it's easier than ever to fine tune how you see stuff online and it's not going to appeal to 100% of people.

And seriously, since when is 27" a bad thing on 8 strings? :lol:

7. Action

Action SS.org Regular

27" is not a bad compromise to keep the high end bendy and not chime-y and still deliver playable F# on the bottom. I don't know what length people expect a non-fanned 8 to be these days.

But I can tell you, in great detail, why a few inches longer than 27 on the bass side is "ideal". I can also tell you in great detail why 25" is really nice to have on the treble side. You probably can too. Some of the above posters could write you a book about this, and are who I learned from.

We don't have to (and should not) have the scale length conversation here. Fact remains, some guys want their eights to be 28"+ on the bass side, and they'll chime in when a shorter-scale 8 comes out, and they're not incorrect, just expressing tonal/playing preference in the same was as "bleh floating trem" or "hate this neck shape". Some of us are even specifically after the shorter scale low string sound, just as some of us are decidedly not.

Re: the guitar, I don't have much to say except that's a mighty fine looking Ibanez. :)

8. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

My first guitar had a THICK, non-sloped square heel and it was never a problem wailing at the highest frets, which is pretty much all I did back then. :lol: :rolleyes: Meantime, the highest frets on my RG2228 are harder to hit despite the sexy contoured heel because the cutout isn't as deep as it could be. The cutout on this A8 looks about 1 fret deeper. :yesway: With the generous heel slope I'd wager it actually has better access to the highest frets than the RG2228.

If it's really that big an issue, the neck-thru DC800 is only $50 more (or just 20-35 more if you get the A8 with ebony). That's the only part that made me :scratch:.

I have 0 idea what you're referring to by "over the top" or "hyperbolic" marketing. I don't subscribe to guitar magazines. I also have adblock on. :D Post a pic? The description on their site seems pretty reasonable.

9. Hollowway

You're not paying very much attention to the threads on here if you missed the part about Jeff talking about having played all the multiscales. I blew up pretty big, and on more than one thread. A number of luthiers on here were also pretty pissed about it, because they've been doing multis for years, and Jeff is acting like he's the first one to do it.

Anyway, if you don't have a problem with their marketing, that's great. You're probably their target audience. I think it's a little odd that you have an issue with other people wanting a longer than 27" scale length for a guitar, an AANJ, etc. Not everyone HAS to like this. Not liking this model hardly qualifies as hate. I'm super excited about an 8 string multiscale from Carvin, but I don't like that heel, I don't like the bevel, and I would prefer an inline rev HS. So who knows if I'll buy one. And discussion guitars in detail is kind of what we do on here. I think it's weird when someone finds it odd that we're being picky about guitars. Of course we're going to talk for pages and pages about new guitars.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by being a part of the WG community. I'm on there, too, and it's cool. Not sure that means I need to love everything Kiesel, though.

10. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Most of the hyper-marketing is via Facebook and Instagram. The site itself and their own forums are more or less still "business as usual"

But Facebook, and their videos, are hypes-ville. And I say that as a fan.

11. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I must have missed it then, I come to this site every now and then in comparison to how much time I used to spend on it. I'm also not seeing the issue with the marketing? They just did a countdown of Jeff's builds and showcase their latest stuff. And Jeff makes these frequent videos updating people on sales/runs/and several other things. If you mean the hashtags on their instagram stuff, then that's kind of silly considering hashtags are how instagram links and categorizes photos :rofl:

I also never said I take issue with other people's desires :lol: I'm retelling my own experiences and perhaps assuring people that as a person who's had the Aries in my own hands, I personally found it comfortable and non obtrusive. I'm not complaining about the discussion either, just the negativity recently in damn near whatever thread the brand pops up in.

I also mentioned the WG page because that's what people have been talking about here lately. I personally don't notice anyone pushing their stuff on the main page anymore than anything else they post. I help around in the Music Discussion and the most I see is actual fans and owners promoting Kiesel themselves, what pretty much any happy owner of any guitar will do.

You're missing my point though, not liking the guitars is fine I have several things I would change and am not a fan of myself. Seems kind of backwards to take that from anything I'm saying at all. My main comments were that people were saying they're expensive yet they're not for what they are. You can go out and buy a Japanese RGD for 1700 brand new, or you can order an Aries which is pretty similar in design sans a few things and customize it to your own choices of wood/specs/etc, for less and maybe even just as much unless you want to bling it out completely. No one is denying anyone's desires :lol: not like I have any way of doing that anyways.

12. Hollowway

Yeah, I'd actually snap one of these up right now, despite there being things I don't like, except that I'm betting that there will be a fanned model around the corner. And that's what I REALLY want. Now the only question is whether I get a matte orange top, black limba body, zebra FB, and cream pups, or a hot pink, BEM FB, and white pups. Both would kick some serious ass. More ass with a rev inline HS, but I really don't see Jeff doing that. He's CLEARLY a fan of the 4+4 on 8 strings. Ah, well.

13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

There is no objective ideal. I would not want to go any longer than 27.5 personally, and there's really not any book that could make my hands feel any differently about it.

14. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I will say one thing. I love Carvin, and I think their products are top notch as is, but good god are their marketing videos painful to watch. There's a lot of great info in them, but its presented in such a cringeworthy way.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The over-the-top hashtagging is supercringe.

EDIT: For the record, I love Carvin, Kiesel, and whatever brand they go by. I wish I could own a Vader, I'm considering getting some Carvin bass and guitar cabs, and I'd kill for a Bolt idea I had...

But Jesus ....ing Christ, ever since the Kiesel thing and they got Engage on their marketing department, their social media has been over the top BAD.

16. ferret

ferret Not worthy

#buythis #guitar #becausenow #whynot #whywait #whylater #whoarewe #hype #hashhype #customshop #pride #notthatkindofpride #tone #yestone #everythingelsethishashtaglinkstoislikekitchensuppliesbutwhynot

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

^The funny part is that you didn't use enough hashtags. :lol:

18. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Im going to be selling my Ibanez RG852 LW FYI. It has Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient pickups with a push/pull tone knob to split the coils as well. Also is set up properly with more appropriate string gauges instead of the 065 that it comes stock with for the low F.

19. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

those inlays are atrocious.

20. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Fact is, I really don't like it.

But all you guys whining about the square heel... Honestly, I think you're all overreacting. That heel looks crazy thin on that bottom left screw joint to start with, but also, it's not like it's the end of the world - Hell, maybe it was chosen for strength and tone, like on Paul Gilbert's recent Ibanez customs, where he asked for the tilt heel (And Ibanez's tilt heel is way thicker than this), because he liked the way it sounded?