Kiesel AM7 NGD

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by kleibs, Apr 8, 2016.

1. kleibs

kleibs SS.org Regular

AM7 NGD
    First the Pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs are as follows:

ARIES MULTISCALE 7
    CS CLEAR SATIN MATTE FINISH
    FDQ DEEP AQUA OVER FLAME
    CALI CALIFORNIA BURST
    5MW 5PC-PC LAM MPL NCK W/WNT S
    THNN THINNER NECK PROFILE
    FPH FLAMED MAPLE HEADSTOCK
    EFB EBONY FRETBOARD, BLACK
    SDL LUMINLAY SIDE DOTS
    STJF STAINLESS STEEL JUMBO FRET
    KLB INSTALL Lithium Bridge P.U
    KLN INSTALL Lithium Neck P.U.
    404 WHITE PICKUP
    WL WHITE LOGO
    SL STRAPLOCKS BY DUNLOP
    WPB WHITE PEARLIOD TUNER BUTTO
    TCP Truss Rod Cover White Perl

Also body is Alder and I had the Tone knob deleted

Looks wise I couldn't have asked for more. This is exactly what I had in mind. They got it spot on.

I really like what they did with the bevel and the back. The paint is very translucent so you can see the grain of the wood and also they left the centre of the back of the guitar unpainted which I love.

So now on to the playability. First of all I need to say that this is my first sevenstring. Before this, the most I have played a sevenstring was for 20 minutes and that is when I tried out a Jackson Juggernaut HT7 in my local guitar shop.
    So here are my intially feelings.

The neck is wonderful. I am an Ibanez player and have owned 3 or 4 Ibanez. My current six string is an RGA121 which has the prestige wizard neck which I love because I have small hands. I have owned other brands including an ESP ltd h-1001 and ltd EC1000, both of which I had to sell because I really did not like their necks after being so used to Ibanez. Basically in the past whenever I tried something other than Ibanez I always came back to Ibanez. However, I can say this is the first exception. The neck just feels right, feels extremely comfortable and doesn't feel like a sevenstring neck which was what I was initially afraid of. If you are an Ibanez player I would definitely advise you to call in for the Thinner neck option as it feels great.

The fingerboard (ebony) is extremely sleek and feels so much nicer to play on than the rosewood fretboard on my ibanez or any other rosewood fretboard I have played.

The stainless steel jumbo frets are wonderful and the edges are smooth and are well dressed/levelled. The nickle frets on my Ibanez are starting to give me some issues so I hope this will be avoided by having stainless steel frets.

The hardware is great. No issues here. I especially like the bridge which is the most comfortable bridge I have played on.

Pick ups sound good, they sound very different in all 5 positions making this a very versatile guitar. They aren't particularly high output when compared to the Aftermaths in my Ibanez so I had to put up the gain a bit on my amp.

Overall this guitar is just easy to play ticking every box in terms of playability. The fanned frets definitely help with some of the bigger stretches which I could see myself struggling with on a standard sevenstring.

Now lets be a bit critical. I am glad to say that these are really small things that probably other people would not even mention, but I want to give you guys as much detail as possible.

When I first got the guitar the black ribbon around the bridge pickup had come off so I had to stuff it back in around the pickup. (Obviously really not an issue).

Second, the white tip of the pickup selector looks cheap in my opinion. I tried to capture it in a picture, but there is a line running around it and a little rough part where it probably was attached to another one and snapped of or something. Again I am really looking at very small details here, but the one on my Ibanez is smooth all round.

Third is the veneer on the headstock. I think you guys can just about see this in the picture. As it goes towards the nut it seems to stick up a bit. You can see the little gap in the picture, but as you go down the headstock it is much more seemless.

Finally, there are audible harmonics coming from behind the nut when I play. I don't know if this is a normal thing for sevenstrings but i can definitely hear them. But these went away when I put on a fretwrap so really not an issue.

And thats it. That's all I could come up with that was negative, so nothing at all really :).

As far as sevenstrings go, since I have played them so little I was scared that the transition would be difficult, but so far it really is no problem. The neck and the body don't feel bigger than your normal six string and this guitar is in fact lighter than my Ibanez!

To conlude:
    I love it, and I think I made the right decision getting this over a Jackson Juggernaut since it saved me a lot of money and is definitely not an inferior guitar. Plus the top on this is better than any of the Laguna burst tops I have seen which really do not have that much figuring in my opinion.

I did a youtube review of this if you guys are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UOlKP7i1QU

Thanks to everyone at Kiesel Guitars Carvin Guitars for making this happen!

2. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

Looks good. Color combo is pretty cool.

The selector switch tip is normal. They always come out that way due to how they are molded. The other issues are typical "you get what you pay for" things. Looks fine to me overall though.

3. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs. Pinch Harmonics. Pick Scrapes. Dive Bombs.

Congrats man!

4. Veritech Zero

Veritech Zero Jeffy Turbo

Weird, I'm seeing more and more of those 'small' types of mistakes slipping through the cracks with each model they do, I wonder if it may be connected to the fact that they are now slammed with orders and pretty far behind. Perhaps they are rushing them. To me though, with the headstock veneer, it looks more like excess glue than it is pulling away. Not very pretty to look at either way. Reminds me of when you would see a little black line between the top wood and the body wood on their bevels.

Very beautiful guitar overall, and the small issues are only ones that you will know, as no one else will ever see those. Thank you for sharing, now I really can't wait till my AM8 is done!

5. kleibs

kleibs SS.org Regular

Ya I ordered just before they bumped their waiting time up to 10 weeks. It does seem they have taken on a little too many orders at the moment, but overall they are just very minor issues and overall the guitar's quality is still up there.

6. Warg Master

Warg Master Weeping strings...

That's a nice one. Perhaps they've got a new guy on the headstock veneer and nut station....

7. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

I gotta tell you I think it looks great.
    For me the neck is the biggest and most important part of the equation. If the neck ain't straight and well dressed I'd be bummed out.
    A few cosmetic niggles not related to the overall wood/finish I wouldn't really be bothered about. I say enjoy the guitar and play the hell out of it.:hbang:

8. kleibs

kleibs SS.org Regular

Oh don't worry I will. They really don't bother me but I thought I'd be as honest as possible, I would imagine most people not even mentioning them.

9. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

Is that a gap or is it just a place where the layer of glue is thicker? I have the latter on my own DC727 from 2010 at one point between the top and the body, but it's barely noticeable, (took me weeks to first notice it, really) and it hasn't been an issue whatsoever, nor is there any indication that it will ever be.

If it's a proper gap, I think it could present more problems further down the road, but I don't see why it should with proper care. Still, I'd be quite bothered by the fact that quality control failed to notice two pieces of wood that weren't properly and completely glued together.

Every guitar I have ever played has had this "issue," my own Carvin included. In fact, unless there is a string tree behind the nut, you will always get some ringing behind the nut. (And, even then, string trees don't always dampen the vibrations very effectively, since they tend to be metal on metal, and their contact area with the strings is very small to have a large effect.) This isn't normally an issue for casual players or for certain genres, but us metalheads like our chugs nice and tight, staccato playing everywhere, high output pickups that will read every little vibration, and high levels of gain that will amplify said little vibrations... so yeah, we tend to be familiar with fretwraps/foam/our own old and worn hair ties/wads of toilet paper :)ugh:)/etc. behind the nut :lol:

Congrats on your guitar dude! :D:wavey:

EDIT: also, the more acoustically resonant the guitar, the stronger the vibrations behind the nut. No that much of a problem if it means I'll get a guitar that sounds prettier, honestly. ;)

10. thinkpad20

thinkpad20 plays guitar??

I've never been a fan of that body bevel, but there's a lot I like about the guitar. HNGD! :)

11. Mangle

Mangle Breaker

HNGD! Put together a real nice piece right there man. Sharp looking.... like the Ripper's razor!

12. Spoodle

Spoodle New Member

Wow, that is an absolutely stunning looking guitar. Hope it plays as good as it looks!

Though I'm curious, why omit the tone control?

13. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

happy ngd
    waiting for your youtube review

14. kleibs

kleibs SS.org Regular

Hey man I actually made it a few weeks ago check it out.

15. kleibs

kleibs SS.org Regular

Always have it on full and have the tendency to always need to check if it's on full. Also when you get rid of the tone pot the brightness of the guitar slightly increases which I like too.

16. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

beautiful guitar!

One thing though that niggles me a bit is the bridge pickups pole spacing. I know its not off enough to matter tonally really but since they are custom made in house it feels like they should have designed them to align perfectly under the strings.

Ps: I should add I understand why they didn't (same spacing/template as the neck pickup save time/money)

17. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Absolutely gorgeous guitar. This is a great example of downplaying that nutty bevel with great specs and color choices.

18. ovlott

ovlott SS.org Regular

Congrats man! Watched your video review and looks like a killer axe!

Hope that headstock veneer thing doesnt casue you any issues down the road. I doubt it will but you can never be too sure right?

19. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin'

SICK!!!!!!!! I love it! Congratulations!

20. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

So my AM7 arrived and I definitely don't have that kind of gap in the headstock veneer. Mine isn't perfect either though and I'll go into that when I post my NGD thread as soon as I get some pics taken.

The harmonics behind the nut seem to be a flaw in the design of this model. I sent Kiesel an email detailing that and my other (very minor) issues but haven't received a response yet. I fixed the harmonics issue with a piece of foam behind the nut. Will have to figure out the best solution for that as I don't want to use those silly fret wraps.

That bevel is seriously comfortable and doesn't look nowhere near as prominent in real life IMO.