Kemper vs Mesa: which is which?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by VESmedic, Mar 17, 2013.

1. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

3. Kwirk

Kwirk The Wrong Advices

That's a Lasse vid? I'm surprised as it sounds terrible. Kemper is impressive nonetheless. I may have to see about getting one when the rack version comes out..

4. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Second part has a more fizzy high end (on my Pc crap speakers at least), that's the only difference I can hear. I don't own a Kemper so I can't really say which is which. That said, the difference is pretty minimal when you add that in a mix.

5. danresn

danresn SS.org Regular

It all sounds horrible. This tone has so much high end fizz to it that it kind of makes the whole exercise pointless

6. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

whole excercise pointless??? The goal of the video was not to say" lets find a tone everyone likes". Regardless of your opinion of the tone (and I completely disagree with you, as this would sit great in a mix for sure, regardless of what you think) you completely missed the point of the video...

7. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

isn't that how rectifiers normally sound? the few times I've played a Duel Rec they were consistently pretty fizzy amps

8. Pav

Pav ???

Actually, he kind of has a point.

I've been playing Mesa Rectifiers for the past ten years or so. Granted, "Mesa Rectifier" is somewhat of a broad reference. It could be an old two channel Triple, it could be a three channel Dual, or you could even be talking about a Single Recto for all we know.

The point is that after listening/watching that video, I had no idea which was which. While you could chalk that up as a win for the Kemper, no matter which was which, neither of them actually scream with that trademark Recto voicing. It almost sounds like whoever set up the gear loaded up a Rectifier setting on the Kemper and then tweaked the Mesa to match the preset, rather than the other way around. :shrug:

Not really. It depends on what type of Rectifier you're playing through. It sounds like the few times you played them were all through an earlier three channel Dual, which were/are notoriously fizzy.

9. Angus Clark

Angus Clark SS.org Regular

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm pretty sure it's a Blackface 2-channel one. A Revision F one.

11. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

Sorry, no, he does not have a point. I really can't understand why this is such a hard thing to understand. The recto that was miced/profiled in this clip IS COMPLETELY irrelevant. The kemper's job is to profile/copy a given source, which it obviously does in this case, with remarkable accuracy. THAT is the point. Weither or not you feel like this is the "signature" recto tone, or not, does NOT matter: The point of this video was to show how accurate the Kemper can be. That recto could sound like a marshall mg15 for all I care, it really has nothing to do with it. The Kemper profiled what it was given, that really is the point here, not a hard concept at all. Is it the signature recto tone? Who cares? Could the Kemper profile your said "signature recto tone" whatever that means? Absolutely, as obviously it has demonstrated to do, that is the point here: It profiled what it was given. It doesn't turn a "non sounding recto" (in your opinion) into a (by your standards) "real sounding/signature recto".

And as far as weither this was done backwards, I would find that very hard to believe. Lasselammert has been around for almost a decade, and is a professional studio, I would bet my last dollar there was no trickery here. A professional studio would not have a reason to do something like that, just to damage their reputation, and plus, what would he gave to gain doing something like that?

12. Pav

Pav ???

I don't doubt it's legitimate. But I also understand how someone could listen to that entire thing and come away feeling that it was a rather poor example overall. No need to take it personally.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

I will agree they sound very close...

But do they sound good? Nope. :rofl:

14. DjentDjentlalala

DjentDjentlalala SS.org Regular

Is it the same guy that used to test pricey amps scooping the shit out of them?

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Nah. You're probably thinking of The Tone King. Lasse usually has some REALLY good sounding tones, but this isn't it. He's capable of better.

16. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

to be fair, rectos need a fair bit of post-processing to sound as good as we know them from records

i think most of you are simply not used to hearing a 'raw' amp through a mic'ed cab. probably since 99% of people here record using modelers, which pretty much are recreating a processed guitar sound and don't sound much like an unprocessed mic'd amp.

for the sake of comparison, i'm sure lasse is using the unprocessed raw audio captured from the mic. which should be quite obvious, since it's the signal that the kemper is profiling

:2c:

17. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

BINGO... We have a winner here. This tone would sit great in a mix, I hate to break it to everyone. If you heard your guitar gods recto tone, It probably wouldn't sound much different than this under a mic, single tracked, mono, through your shitty computer speakers. We are getting way off topic here, but I think it needs to be said. This board is full of 16 and 17 years olds that think they know everything because they saw some video on youtube of misha or bulb or whatever the hell is name is, and just regurgitate information, not really understanding, and knowing what they are saying. For those of you who have APPARENTLY never been in/recorded in a studio/heard your amp under a mic/are not old enough to have a drivers license, this is what an amp with proper micing sounds like on its own. It is unprocessed, and raw as can be, that is the point here. It's sad that in today's world, this is considered "shit tone" because everyones ear is so used to such a damn processed tone. It's likea building a house: Your uber processed holy grail high gain tone starts out sounding like THIS, that is how it works. This is what the platform should sound like. That is what makes the kemper so special, is that it gets you this to start with, and then build on.

18. DjentDjentlalala

DjentDjentlalala SS.org Regular

Yeah! HE doesnt even use a mic if i'm not mistaken.Damn,that guy used to be pretty lame :lol: /OT

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

He still uses a mic... It just sounds terrible. :lol:

Also, like I said, Lasse IS capable of better.

But like Lok said, it could be an unmixed track.

20. Kwirk

Kwirk The Wrong Advices

Lasse awesome. Tone just isn't good here, IMO.

^This is like the coolest riff.