Kemper studio/bookshelf speakers

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have no idea what I need and hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Due to noise issues I have gone to a passive Kemper and will get a Alto to play out with, at home it needs to be quieter.

What I want is to be able to play guitar through the monitors as well as play along to something MP3 hopefully on the same speakers at the same time.
Recording is not an issue, I dabble in it and it's pretty low on the priority list.
Sound from the speakers should be deep enough to play low B on the bass with an optional sub.
I don't have a huge area so the speakers need to be smaller and will be very close to a wall.
I checked out the Yamaha HS5-7-8 and they do sound good but feel a sub would be needed, also the rear fire port may not be best.

Cost wise the HS5 plus sub at $700 up here is ok but comparing that to a bookshelf speaker plus amp is a huge difference at $200.

I hope that is clear, thanks in advance!

Given To Fly

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A pair of studio monitors should work well. If you connect the Kemper to your computer you should be able to playback audio (iTunes, etc) through the Kemper's Main Outs along with your guitar signal.

If I were in your position I would get the studio monitors (the Yamaha are fine) and then see if you need a subwoofer. Keep in mind, quiet subwoofers can still rattle a house due to the nature of low frequencies and the power required to produce them.

Another option would be a pair of high end headphones. They cover the whole usable frequency range (and then some) and are the quietest option. :yesway:

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, I'd say to get a pair of sennheiser hd 380s, or a shure IEM setup. A SE425 will sound phenomenal and no one would be able to hear it besides you.

Other than that a pair of monitors will carry all your guitar frequencies just fine without a sub.

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I do have a set of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 64 Ohm which I think sounds good but have not tried the 380 and not sure how they compare.

Speaker size will obviously give better low end response but I'm sure some models are better than others based on the the same sized driver. How would the HS5 or7 sound like with that low B on the bass and at that HS7 price point who is competing with them?

Doing some homework looks like the rear port needs to be away from the wall the same distance as the port diameter, it will probably still cause vibrations though.

Thanks

greglecompte

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
id go with equator d5s as the yamahas are known for having no low end and being very bright and brittle

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of a set of powered monitors, and a good little mixer. I picked up my Mackie 1202 secondhand for $100.

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So the mixer would get a feed from Kemper a second from the computer and a single stereo out to the speakers.
I see the benefit of controlling the volume and adjusting the tone to a degree but I think the Kemper can do the same, if its to complicated with the Kemper then it makes great sense.

I think once it comes in I will take it to the shop to demo some monitors, they have a great selection and a separate room.

Thanks

Andless

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I do have a set of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 64 Ohm which I think sounds good but have not tried the 380 and not sure how they compare.

Speaker size will obviously give better low end response but I'm sure some models are better than others based on the the same sized driver. How would the HS5 or7 sound like with that low B on the bass and at that HS7 price point who is competing with them?

Doing some homework looks like the rear port needs to be away from the wall the same distance as the port diameter, it will probably still cause vibrations though.

Thanks

The HS7 seems to handle down to F1 well, but you will need the subwoofer HS8S for that B0.

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I tried out the 5-7-8 Yamaha monitors with some various tunes off my IPhone and have to say they all work really well. All can reach the lowest tuned guitars but with different levels of success.

Practicality wise the 5 and sub really fills the soundscape, it's thin without and by bringing up the level really slow I was able to thicken the sound so it was very full range.
Another thing the sub does is move the bottom end away from the image between the 5's, the 8's without sub directed my ears to the height of the monitors, with sub I felt the narrow band got wider.

Does that make sense?
Sorry just a newb with this stuff but trusted my ears and learned a few things!

Andless

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Practicality wise the 5 and sub really fills the soundscape, it's thin without and by bringing up the level really slow I was able to thicken the sound so it was very full range.
Another thing the sub does is move the bottom end away from the image between the 5's, the 8's without sub directed my ears to the height of the monitors, with sub I felt the narrow band got wider.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does.

I've got the older Yamaha 8", which handles lows pretty well, but 5 should be fine with a sub. Hell, I've been thinking of buying the sub as well, but less urgently.

7stg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Yamaha HS7's or the HS8's and the Adam F7 are great options. All would need the sub to get to B0 - 30.868Hz at aronund -3db. I would at least get a 7 inch woofer, its about low end and feel, they will give the ability to better hear what is going on in the low end, they will still work well in a small room, and will work well at low levels but have more headroom when wanted.

The little mixer is a good idea and could probably pick up a used one. Also, a computer interface would work too.