Keith Merrow leaves S7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And Vik?
Vik Kuletski is probably the only other luthier who I can put at the level of Doug Campbell (Blackmachine) in terms of passion, obsession and insane attention to detail.
Both of those guys build guitars as art first, and income second. They have had many opportunities to grow and meet their rather impossible demand, but they are so obsessed with the fine details of their craft that money would never be a factor in their decision making. Neither of them have "businesses" in that sense. They are just obsessed with art.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Mayones is a much bigger company than I think you think they are. They also completely reworked their production when I started working with them because of the demand they got from the states.

They have gone about their growth in a responsible and well-planned way. They have also been very hungry to grow and improve not only the volume, but the quality of their instruments in parallel. And this is why every year, their guitars have been more ambitious and next-level.

Seeing their track record, and their ability to adapt to demand without compromising their product, I have to say that I am not worried about them, and I would see no reason for anyone else to be. They have already proven themselves many times over.

This just furthers what I said earlier in the thread bro. Mayones has NOTHING to prove at this point. They release an amazingly consistent product that is EASILY on par with any other high-end guitar builder on the planet if not better.

bulb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love ya bro, and you are right with the point, but wrong on the numbers.

Daemoness has 2-3 guys working there now, and ESP Custom shop 12-15.

Although, the point has been made.

HOWEVER, I think you would be surprised at the behind the scenes talking about Daemoness. There have been several QC issues just that I know about.

Not to start a flame sesh.

Dylan only has one other person working for him, and Jiro style he has trained him hard and tested him to his absurdly rigorous standards. Dylan again is one of those guys who is trying to meet demand in a way that will not compromise his instrument in the least.
Knowing Dylan as a person really puts a lot in perspective. All I can say again is he has that obsession with attention to detail, he is an artist, and if he expands to meet demand, it will only be when he is 100% sure there will be no difference to the quality and consistency of the final product.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
And Vik?
Vik Kuletski is probably the only other luthier who I can put at the level of Doug Campbell (Blackmachine) in terms of passion, obsession and insane attention to detail.
Both of those guys build guitars as art first, and income second. They have had many opportunities to grow and meet their rather impossible demand, but they are so obsessed with the fine details of their craft that money would never be a factor in their decision making. Neither of them have "businesses" in that sense. They are just obsessed with art.

Agreed. My BMs were/are each phenomenal. Doug truly builds a guitar he himself would play, and nothing less. A true work of art with unquestionable attention to detail. He has enough pride in his art/work to not release something less than flawless. I find that a lot in this day and age, pride in one's craft gets lost in the hustle and bustle of trying to make a buck and in this case, fill orders, crank out guitars etc.

THAT is what sets smaller luthier companies apart in my opinion, the pride the builders themselves have in creating the very best product they possibly can. :yesway:

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Dylan only has one other person working for him, and Jiro style he has trained him hard and tested him to his absurdly rigorous standards. Dylan again is one of those guys who is trying to meet demand in a way that will not compromise his instrument in the least.
Knowing Dylan as a person really puts a lot in perspective. All I can say again is he has that obsession with attention to detail, he is an artist, and if he expands to meet demand, it will only be when he is 100% sure there will be no difference to the quality and consistency of the final product.

yeah, I saw his apprentice's guitar on FB and you really couldn't tell it wasn't Dylan's own work.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Never? Please. I'd ask you to list them, and then we'd take some time tearing down that myth piece by piece, but I'm not interested in taking shots at companies over issues that are inevitable.
I cited them in my previous post. No, they never do mistakes...that reach the customer. Of course they will make blunders here and there. But they won't send a faulty guitar, period.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I discussed my concerns with Dawid at NAMM about what would happen if they got overwhelmed with Custom orders. Id hate to see the wait time jump to over a year like the other big companies and his answer was basically along the lines of 'I expand the shop, make it bigger to accomodate' and that hes constantly expanding. Hes a smart guy and knows exactly what hes dealing with. I love Mayones and am proud to be using their guitars

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
:rofl:

Nope, I'm a huge fan of Rob's work and talk to him pretty frequently but I don't get paid or get free guitars... hell Rob barely keeps the doors open, he couldn't afford to give me free guitars even if he wanted to. I've currently got 3 KxKs and two on order (one of the two is on hold). I've also got 2 Gibsons here and am reviewing a PRS SE 7. I'm considering guitars from Xen, Skervesen, and an Ibanez jazzbox 7.

I've just got a good paying job and like Rob's work enough to keep buying guitars from him, as well as a ton of other guitars and amps :lol:

It's not about giving YOU free guitars. :squint:

:rofl:

DIOBOLIC5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From my FB page-

I feel like I should probably clarify a couple things regarding the pictures and comments I posted yesterday (my experience with Strictly 7 Guitars). First off, my intentions weren't to harm S7 in any way at all. As someone who regularly demonstrates musical equipment, my honesty and integrity are important. If you were to email me and ask me if I’d suggest an S7 guitar to you, I’d tell you no. But, that’s purely based on my experience, alone. Others have obviously had a great experience, and I’d encourage you to look further into the brand and decide for yourself.

A lot of the comments that I've seen regarding this have been pretty brutal on S7g. While I may have had a couple bad guitars, they don’t all have these same problems. Please consider refraining from outright bashing S7, or calling them “the new Invictus Guitars”. Do some more research, find a way to try one for yourself… and at that point, I’d say that your opinion might hold some weight. Anything else is just spreading unwarranted hate.

In defense of S7g, Jim and the crew did everything they could to make it right for me. They offered rebuilds and repairs. Ultimately, it was I who decided not to pursue a signature guitar with S7g any further. The problem lied in the fact that the guitars I had been sent were supposed to represent my signature guitar as the consumer would see it. The guitars had major problems, and I simply didn't feel good about putting my signature on it. I’m not anybody special, and I don’t feel I was “too good” for it, but I wouldn't back a signature ANYTHING unless I could honestly say I loved it. I will not lie, and I will not be a sellout and keep my mouth shut when people ask me for the truth.

The S7 customer service is stellar. They send out regular updates, keep in constant contact with their customers, and they always seem to want to make things right if people aren't happy with their guitars. Jim and the rest of the crew are genuinely good people. I have no hostility towards any of them and I’d never wish them any harm. We even had high fives and beers at NAMM this year. These people are my friends.

So why would I post some very unflattering pictures of the guitars I got from them?

I figure: How good would my opinion of musical equipment be if I didn't share both the good and the bad? Many people ask me about these guitars, just as they ask about anything that I've used. I gladly share my experiences of equipment that I feel is good and solid… but my word means nothing if I don’t also share my bad experiences. It’s that simple.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
I feel bad for this situation. Bad for Keith and others who got faulty guitars and had to deal with that, what a hassle. I feel bad for builders because people never remember the good things, only the bad with anything. This will scare for a while.

Every guitar builder is only a couple of bad days away from having people jump out of the woodwork on them. People like to pick sides and go against the popular thoughts, I bet there are plenty of people waiting for a bad report on a Mayones so they can start piling on. It will happen eventually. I've had Mayones and love them, hope it doesn't happen and not to single them out, just an example.

I have a S7 Solar in White and it is a great guitar, no complaints from me other than not crazy about the 27.5inch scale, but I just wanted to try it. Nothing wrong with the build.

I also wonder about upkeep, because I buy/sell/trade and often get a guitar that is dirty or dusty and I have to take apart and clean. Sometimes it takes many coats of lemon oil to get the smut off.

MJS

Reaction score
I personally don't like the way Keith handled this situation, obviously there are some bad things on those pics but we don't know the story behind the scenes.

We didn't know, but Keith did... and now we do. Since S7 basically confirmed everything he said, I don't really see any unsolved mysteries here. :D

Not commenting on quality of S7G, just saying that if Keith really likes S7G guys as he says, he shouldn't post those pictures because he knew that it would start internets bashing of the brand and really not much is needed to discredit any company.

Are you saying that if someone gets your guitars and you screw them up, it's their job to keep their mouths shut so you can hope for more sales from people that wouldn't have bought one if they knew the truth... as long as they like you as a person?

Because if that's not what you're saying, what don't you like about Keith being honest and offering actual evidence/pictures to back up every word he said? :scratch:

If anything, I have a problem with the people that keep all the free shit companies send them, then quietly phase out their commission-driven praise with a generic exit line like "It just didn't work out," while pretending that being quiet means the same thing as being professional... then it's off to pimp out the next batch of freebies.

MJS

Reaction score
From my FB page-

I feel like I should probably clarify a couple things regarding the pictures and comments I posted yesterday (my experience with Strictly 7 Guitars). ...

And from my reply to that post -

"You know mankind is going down the shitter when it becomes necessary to write a book-sized explanation to justify being honest. Our politicians have brainwashed us well. haha :D"

And as usual... if you had done the opposite and kept your mouth shut, everyone would hate you for covering things up and only caring about money/freebies. Well, it's not like you haven't already figured out that you just can't win on the internet (cough cough Mayones/Duncan contest backlash cough cough). :lol:

WTF does this have to do with guitar making ? Never played their guitars, don't know them, but, er, seriously, people using that kind of argument ain't gonna sell a lot overseas...

You're taking it too literally. Anything about thanking god/soldiers for freedom of speech is just a generic phrase that gets used in place of "You're free to say whatever you want... regardless of how stupid it is." :D

It even gets used by people that don't believe in god, care about American pride, or hate all wars/don't support the military. ;)

BlacKat Guitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you saying that if someone gets your guitars and you screw them up, it's their job to keep their mouths shut so you can hope for more sales from people that wouldn't have bought one if they knew the truth... as long as they like you as a person?

If someone gets my guitar and I screw it up I do everything I can to fix situation. Lemons happen or will happen to all companies. What matters really is how you deal with them.

I did explain to Keith on PM what I meant. I feel that he added all missing information in his recent FB post. I also posted before there was statement from Jim. Now all is clear to me.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
ok... way too many post I would like to respond to so rather than quote each I'll post a couple notes that I would like to mention.

I live in the Seattle area. I have a S7G 27.5 scale. I have had the guitar since mid 2010. Other than the neck heel non-issue I already posted on page 3 or 4 ish I have had no problems on my S7G and I appreciate others have and respect each individuals handling things the way they feel they needed to be.

If anyone gets around the Seattle area I would be happy to let you play my S7G. The 27.5" Wenge neck has a "flat profile back with shoulders" is the closes I can describe it. Closest I have owned like it was a Jackson CS Soloist. Very similar feel. I like it a lot. Who knows what pick ups may be in it at any time. For the next few months it will probably have Carvin Active A70's as I am going to play the hell out of them waiting for the Carvin 27" scale 7 string guitars so I can decide to go with the D26 or A70 on that order [still months before they are in production per Carvin]

The post a few pages back about it having a shitty neck is retarded. Other than pick ups, maybe, neck profiles are something people will agree or disagree about. S7G happens to one of the companies that will build your guitar with just about any woods you want and they will also profile your neck to what you like [or did when I ordered mine in 2010]. Not hating on the person who posted that, it is just true. It may also be true it felt shitty to that person, I forget if they "tried one" or "owned one". If owned S7G would probably still profile the neck for you. Looks like you may have a bit of a wait on that now? I dunno about that, call S7G if you own one.

Keith Merrow - He handled things the way he saw fit and that is his right to do so. Jim's post and Keith's say all that needs to be said on that issue. Each are businessmen and independant and proud. Neither of them are dummies. They have said what they wanted. I would not twist their words to much. The only thing I don't like about Keith is that he got so popular that he does not have time to teach me drum programming. Bastard :fawk:

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Mayones is a much bigger company than I think you think they are. They also completely reworked their production when I started working with them because of the demand they got from the states.

They have gone about their growth in a responsible and well-planned way. They have also been very hungry to grow and improve not only the volume, but the quality of their instruments in parallel. And this is why every year, their guitars have been more ambitious and next-level.

Seeing their track record, and their ability to adapt to demand without compromising their product, I have to say that I am not worried about them, and I would see no reason for anyone else to be. They have already proven themselves many times over.

Fair enough. Although had I not been a member of this forum (or any forum really) I really doubt I'd have ever heard of them. The pictures of their instruments are just jaw-dropping. I just made the comment I did more out of a generalization and I should have added that Mayones will probably outlast a lot of the other luthiers simply because they can handle the expansion.

My point was more about how we have seen BRJ, Invictus, Rotor, and few others here make awesome stuff, and it's really awesome stuff, but a random black friday sale or something else makes demand explode, and they have a bear of a time trying to meet it.

I'm merely trying to demonstrate that there are other underlying issues besides "that company is evil and actively screwing people over". (although Invictus would be the closest I've seen a company get to that particular mindset)

I'm also hoping to get people to see things through their eyes as well. :)

DIOBOLIC5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My point was more about how we have seen BRJ, Invictus, Rotor, and few others here make awesome stuff, and it's really awesome stuff, but a random black friday sale or something else makes demand explode, and they have a bear of a time trying to meet it.

BRJ may have made some sweet guitars, but I don't have to tell anyone on this forum about his not-so-great builds, and his catastrophic business practices regarding that Black Friday thing. While most of the BRJ guitars I have owned/currently own were/are pretty awesome, I actually wouldn't suggest them to anyone at this point, just like S7. In so many ways, ordering a BRJ at this point would be far worse than even ordering an S7 (in my eyes).

Not trying to hate. You guys know the facts.

As far as Mayones is concerned, I've only played a few of their guitars. But, the one I got at NAMM this year is probably the best built guitar I've ever played. The quality on it is miles above any of these other guitars mentioned. That guitar that I got to give away for that solo contest was absolutely stunning, too.

I'm not endorsed by Mayones, I swear. I just think they make nice guitars from what I've seen, and will gladly play them.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
BRJ may have made some sweet guitars, but I don't have to tell anyone on this forum about his not-so-great builds, and his catastrophic business practices regarding that Black Friday thing. While most of the BRJ guitars I have owned/currently own were/are pretty awesome, I actually wouldn't suggest them to anyone at this point, just like S7. In so many ways, ordering a BRJ at this point would be far worse than even ordering an S7 (in my eyes).

Not trying to hate. You guys know the facts.

As far as Mayones is concerned, I've only played a few of their guitars. But, the one I got at NAMM this year is probably the best built guitar I've ever played. The quality on it is miles above any of these other guitars mentioned. That guitar that I got to give away for that solo contest was absolutely stunning, too.

I'm not endorsed by Mayones, I swear. I just think they make nice guitars from what I've seen, and will gladly play them.

So man, while your being all forthcoming and shit....what is your true feelings on the Evertune bridge???:lol:

Would you route your favorite guitar to have one installed???:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.