Keith Merrow leaves S7

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
*joins Mayones*

watch this space.

I see a LOT of people talking up Mayones too, and even I find myself really wishing I could try one out just to see if it would be worth pulling the trigger for one; however, I'm willing to bet that if enough people jump ship over to Mayones, this same problem will happen. Why? Because these are small luthiers that are TOTALLY unprepared to handle massive amounts of orders. These are small-time companies trying to get up and running, and while they do a fantastic job of promoting for the most part, they get overwhelmed. They can't expand fast enough. When they grow and get bigger, they have to find ways to streamline the process to meet demand, and they have to train new people. This takes time and because new people are coming in to build guitars, you're gonna have some QC issues. We've seen on here luthier, after luthier, after luthier rise to a certain point, then because their work is so awesome, they get overwhelmed and start making really fundamental mistakes in both their QC and in their customer service.

Now, I see Keith's issue with S7 as something between Keith and S7. If you don't like what you see, don't buy one. Judging from what a couple other S7 owners have told me, their customer service is awesome. That right there will still set them apart from the ones that have failed in the past because in a business, you're gonna have things go wrong. No matter how hard you try, and no matter how dili(djent) ( :p ) you become to QC, things still go wrong. The key is how quickly and efficiently you can make good on it as to me, THAT is the key to a good company. :2c:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
God bless America and the military that allows us to have that free speech.
WTF does this have to do with guitar making ? Never played their guitars, don't know them, but, er, seriously, people using that kind of argument ain't gonna sell a lot overseas...

Nykur_Myrkvi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see a LOT of people talking up Mayones too, and even I find myself really wishing I could try one out just to see if it would be worth pulling the trigger for one; however, I'm willing to bet that if enough people jump ship over to Mayones, this same problem will happen. Why? Because these are small luthiers that are TOTALLY unprepared to handle massive amounts of orders. These are small-time companies trying to get up and running, and while they do a fantastic job of promoting for the most part, they get overwhelmed. They can't expand fast enough. When they grow and get bigger, they have to find ways to streamline the process to meet demand, and they have to train new people. This takes time and because new people are coming in to build guitars, you're gonna have some QC issues. We've seen on here luthier, after luthier, after luthier rise to a certain point, then because their work is so awesome, they get overwhelmed and start making really fundamental mistakes in both their QC and in their customer service.

Now, I see Keith's issue with S7 as something between Keith and S7. If you don't like what you see, don't buy one. Judging from what a couple other S7 owners have told me, their customer service is awesome. That right there will still set them apart from the ones that have failed in the past because in a business, you're gonna have things go wrong. No matter how hard you try, and no matter how dili(djent) ( :p ) you become to QC, things still go wrong. The key is how quickly and efficiently you can make good on it as to me, THAT is the key to a good company. :2c:
I believe this is exactly what's going on.

I think these kinds of issues are what Conklin has so brilliantly avoided by charging an arm and a leg for their instruments...they probably only have to build a couple a year to stay a float.

I must add that I believe Conklins are worth a couple of limbs, I'd just prefer them to be legs so I can properly play them.

DIOBOLIC5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
VIK, on their Facebook page are touting a Keith Merrow guitar. A simple one line boast of a Keith Merrow but, the plot thickens. :)

I don't honestly see how this is relevant to anything at all. There's no "plot".

ViK has been building me a guitar for a long time. Long before my dealings with S7, in fact.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I believe this is exactly what's going on.

I think these kinds of issues are what Conklin has so brilliantly avoided by charging an arm and a leg for their instruments...they probably only have to build a couple a year to stay a float.
QC issues like this are usually the sign of a company growing too fast. I can give you many names of companies I've never heard a dud was made from. The thing is, these companies make you wait instead of accepting all orders. ESP custom shop is 5 persons, Amfisound three, Daemoness is a 1 person company, etc. I can guarantee you if Dylan accets 100 orders at once there will be fuckups.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On my way to work I found a portal,got in and
Killed Xenu's Kingdom
:lol: :wub:

You don't work for KxK? Fuck, you're useless to me then. :squint:

:lol:

:rofl:

Nope, I'm a huge fan of Rob's work and talk to him pretty frequently but I don't get paid or get free guitars... hell Rob barely keeps the doors open, he couldn't afford to give me free guitars even if he wanted to. I've currently got 3 KxKs and two on order (one of the two is on hold). I've also got 2 Gibsons here and am reviewing a PRS SE 7. I'm considering guitars from Xen, Skervesen, and an Ibanez jazzbox 7.

I've just got a good paying job and like Rob's work enough to keep buying guitars from him, as well as a ton of other guitars and amps :lol:

DIOBOLIC5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
:rofl:

Nope, I'm a huge fan of Rob's work and talk to him pretty frequently but I don't get paid or get free guitars... hell Rob barely keeps the doors open, he couldn't afford to give me free guitars even if he wanted to. I've currently got 3 KxKs and two on order (one of the two is on hold). I've also got 2 Gibsons here and am reviewing a PRS SE 7. I'm considering guitars from Xen, Skervesen, and an Ibanez jazzbox 7.

I've just got a good paying job and like Rob's work enough to keep buying guitars from him, as well as a ton of other guitars and amps :lol:

I had a chance to try a KxK and didn't want to give it back. That guitar was seriously legit.

Overtone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The talk of growing pains gives me even more appreciation for the early days of the Jackson custom shop. If you look at the serial numbers they were putting out a pretty serious volume even in the San Dimas days and the quality was unbelievable in the first factory! Not as knowledgeable about Ontario....

dsquared

Reaction score
QC issues like this are usually the sign of a company growing too fast. I can give you many names of companies I've never heard a dud was made from. The thing is, these companies make you wait instead of accepting all orders. ESP custom shop is 5 persons, Amfisound three, Daemoness is a 1 person company, etc. I can guarantee you if Dylan accets 100 orders at once there will be fuckups.

Never? Please. I'd ask you to list them, and then we'd take some time tearing down that myth piece by piece, but I'm not interested in taking shots at companies over issues that are inevitable.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Yeah I think some of the comments re Mayones are a little off, Mayo is a big operation that's been going decades, they aren't even vaguely comparable to S7G or even less so small timers like Invictus or even ViK - who is a one man operation.

Keith, thanks for posting, I totally get it.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
And I bought said S7. lol Honestly I went over the guitar the second I got it and found a few finish things that Steven had explained ahead of time. It plays really well I personaly think. A pickup change made a huge difference. All in all though... it is better than my USA Gibson Explorer finish wise and that's a $1200-1300 guitar. The honeymoon phase is over though. The fuckin thing is picky as hell with temp fluctuations. I find myself checking the neck bow about once a month, but being in northern Indiana shit changes from -5 degrees up to 40 degrees on a weekly freakin basis. Ask loopquantum. He lives about 30 miles south of where I do. But other than a few small flaws I do honestly like the guitar and feel it works well for me as a player. Could they do better and work on getting their prices down a bit? Of course. Hopefully they sort their crap out, lay off the endorsements and just build a better instrument, which is where their heads need to be at.

Yeah, I always disclose any issues with buyers. And it does play great. Overall, good guitar. Only real flaw I could point out was the price.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
I see a LOT of people talking up Mayones too, and even I find myself really wishing I could try one out just to see if it would be worth pulling the trigger for one; however, I'm willing to bet that if enough people jump ship over to Mayones, this same problem will happen. Why? Because these are small luthiers that are TOTALLY unprepared to handle massive amounts of orders.

That's because they make an incredible product.

This has nothing to do with anything. Mayones has been building guitars for DECADES. They aren't nearly as small as S7G.

Mayones has even been featured on CNN. They are a VERY well established company. It would take absolute INSANITY to take them down with how well they are established. :lol:

WeLookLikeGiants

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's a bummer that S7G is getting in a bit of a shit storm over this. I have a custom S7G that I love.
It has one or two cosmetic flaws and the neck heel is not exactly to my liking but it doesn't affect the play ability
and you can't see the finish flaws unless your face is 6 inches from it.
I think Keith and Jim both handled the situation well.
I just hate reading negative posts by people that have never tried playing one. :wallbash:

bulb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Mayones is a much bigger company than I think you think they are. They also completely reworked their production when I started working with them because of the demand they got from the states.

They have gone about their growth in a responsible and well-planned way. They have also been very hungry to grow and improve not only the volume, but the quality of their instruments in parallel. And this is why every year, their guitars have been more ambitious and next-level.

Seeing their track record, and their ability to adapt to demand without compromising their product, I have to say that I am not worried about them, and I would see no reason for anyone else to be. They have already proven themselves many times over.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score

Love ya bro, and you are right with the point, but wrong on the numbers.

Daemoness has 2-3 guys working there now, and ESP Custom shop 12-15.

Although, the point has been made.

HOWEVER, I think you would be surprised at the behind the scenes talking about Daemoness. There have been several QC issues just that I know about.

Not to start a flame sesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.