Katana fret leveling tool - anyone ever heard ot this?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Ataraxia2320, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Hey all, first post in this subreddit.

I've recently come into possession of a cheapo guitar which badly needs a fret level and I was looking into trying to do it myself to learn some basic guitar tech chops.

I was looking up videos on youtube on how to do this when I came across this video

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this system before? It almost seems too easy, and I've never heard of it before so I'm skeptical. Is there any reason why it shouldnt work?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I didn't watch the whole video, but it looks like it is just a leveling beam to me. Am I missing something?

3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

It's a leveling beam that adjusts to match the bow of a neck that's strung up and in proper relief. I have one. It's cool and it works, but it is expensive and I can get equally good results with a traditional flat beam. If you're learning and looking to work on only a couple projects, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the Katana.

AxeHappy, Walshy and Ataraxia2320 like this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    It seams to have a truss rod inside, so it can bend the sanding surface to match the guitar's neck relief. Cool system.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Wait, if matches the neck relief when strung up, how do you use it? Wouldn’t you need to have it strung up?

Also, maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I thought the idea was to have a perfectly flat neck, and then add some relief for string vibration. So wouldn’t you always want to make the frets flat when the neck is loaded (by both truss rod and string tension)?

6. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I've used a ghetto version of this with a spare truss rod and self-adhesive sandpaper. It works awesome and it's easy to use. Not sure if springing $250 for the Katana is worth it...

7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Doesn't look like a completely bad idea, but I also get good results with the old-fashioned method. The Katana workflow is also a little lengthy as you have to take off the strings after levelling to crown and polish them. Besides it only ships from Japan with tons of customs on top.

8. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    You have seen the video, haven't you?

9. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Like wise works very well once you get the work flow down,i tried it after watching this on YT

10. Petar Bogdanov

Hah, I learned it from the same guy!

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I guess I just don't understand how this is easier than just adjusting the neck to be flat first. Isn't it harder to get the bow to match between the two?

I also haven't watched the videos all the way through so if this is explained there, feel free to shame me :)

12. Petar Bogdanov

The point is not to be easier, but more accurate. Theoretically, you always get a bit of an S-curve when straightening a beam under load (such as a guitar neck) by applying force at a single point (such as a truss rod). Practically, it can cover up uneven bowing due to inconsistencies/moisture-related problems in the wood.

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Makes sense. Very interesting.