Karnivool thread?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ChugThisBoy, Nov 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

It took me a while to fully appreciate this album, especially since it was the follow up to Sound Awake...but man, there are some great songs on it.

2. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Nachash, We Are, the Refusal, Aeons, Eidolon, the Last Few are all fkin amazing.

No hooks true but songs that good don't need em. Steve Judd is always a beast but on that album he took up to an even higher level.

They did the transition from prog metal to just "progressive music" that the Contortionist tried and completely boffed

3. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Gave it another spin today. Nebulous album. Still nothing clicks. There's good music, great songwriting on here but it feels like all b-sides from the other two albums. The other two were also very proggy with meandering songs but they were punctuated with something groovy, this one, not so much.

I respect it though.

4. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

fwiw the band isn't happy with it either, they wrote it almost entirely without the vocalist and then when he came in and tried to work with what they gave him, in their own words it ended up "weird."

Hopefully next album strikes a balance between Asymmetry and Sound Awake and is more cohesive overall.

LordIronSpatula and Randy like this.
  5. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

I hope for the same.

6. vm27

vm27 SS.org Regular

You only hear what you're looking for.

I can't fault you though. Maybe it will click one day. It took me awhile to understand and love this album. It was the ugliest shit I've heard on my first runs. But now, I think it's up there in my favorite albums of all time.

7. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

So I gotta open up my third eye chakra or what?

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  8. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Uh oh, Karnivool fans turning in to Tool fans...

9. CGrant109

CGrant109 SS.org Regular

Can't wait for another album from these guys. Putting on Sound Awake right now. Asymmetry took some time to get into compared to the others where I was hooked immediately. I think it's a very powerful album though and with each listen, I enjoy it more and more. Still need to hopefully catch these guys one day in the states / Chicago, kinda shocked they don't come out to the states more often.

10. vm27

vm27 SS.org Regular

Yeah. Or maybe your ears. IDK.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

Asymmetry is literally their worst album. Sound Awake and Themata are catchy/groovy the whole way through whereas Asymmetry just meanders for the duration.

Randy likes this.
  12. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

Didn't know they disliked it as well. I absolutely love Asymmetry. Aeons, we are, sky machine.... they are some of my favorite songs ever, even love the vocals tremendously, so it's interesting to hear they were slapped on afterwards.
    The only thing is that it took time for me to live with the mix of that album. The drum is super dry sounding .

But i like very unorthodox stuff, so i guess the quirkiness and weirdness of that album just intrigued me and made me appreciate it more and more over time until it became one of my favorite albums of all time.

sakeido likes this.
  13. jmeezle

jmeezle SS.org Regular

is it, literally?

Asymmetry, to me, is their best work to date. Not many bands can shift their sound as drastically as they did from Sound Awake to Asymmetry. The rhythms, sound layers and song structures all have progressed tenfold from Sound Awake... also the fact that rarely are the two guitars playing the same thing throughout the album which is really interesting. Themata comes across as radio rock to me, so my order is Asymmetry > Sound Awake > Themata.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  14. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

For the most part I absolutely love Asymmetry. Some of the bass and baritone guitar sounds on the album are absolutely delicious IMO. The grooves are pretty strange and I get that they don't appeal to everyone. But for me the dissonance and unusual rhythmic patterns make the album a lot more interesting to dissect.

The one thing that doesn't always hold up is the lyric writing, if you ask me (yeah, no one did). For example, that line "My mind's always window shopping, but I can't afford the payments" just seems pathetically small and self involved in the context of what's going on musically in that song.