Kahler not staying in tune

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by conorreich, May 4, 2020.

1. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I have an Agile Interceptor 828 with a Kahler bridge. I have it locked down as I don't use tremolos. It still will not stay in tune!

I bought locking hipshot tuners for this guitar and they dont help at all. Help me SSO, you're my only hope. (May the 4th be with you)

2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

If you are stretching the strings out when you put them on, then they my be sticking in the nut, especially if you are using heavier gauge strings than those that came on the guitar. A luthier can open up the slots for you if this is your problem, but to test it you can try lubricating the nuts slots with graphite/chapstick/etc. to see if it helps. If it does, this is probably the issue.

conorreich likes this.
  3. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I thought that was only a problem for non locking nuts. I will give this a try. I have graphite an will try that. Thanks!

4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

You said that you had locking tuners, so I assumed that you don't have a locking nut. Does the guitar have the locking nut, too?

conorreich likes this.
  5. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

Oh my bad. Yes it does have a locking nut too. I changed the tuners because I don't use the trem and therefore don't lock the nut down. Partially because the fine tuners on the Kahler are very hard to turn on the low b and f# strings.

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

OK, if the locking nut is not locked, then the strings can still bind in the nut, so I would try lubing the nut to see if it helps.

Also, how is the bridge locked? Is there any movement happening/possible when the bridge is locked?

conorreich likes this.
  7. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

It has a set screw in the back that puts it in a hardtail mode. I will definitely lubricate it. Thank you!

Oh and there is no movement that I can tell.

8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

An unlocked locking nut is certainly prone to snags as it isn't made to function smoothly like a well cut nut - I'd recommend locking it

GunpointMetal, bostjan and conorreich like this.
  9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Once you're set up and have the intonation set, tighten every screw/nut/bolt on the bridge. Kahler's have a lot of moving parts and the ones Agile uses are not the top of the line models, so there is more play in the saddles. I have two Interceptor Pro 930s with the locked-down Kahlers and I find that locking the nut is still necessary for tuning stability. I also had to run a round file through the slots on the three lower strings to keep the string from sitting too high at the "V" notch. I'd like to find someone that can make me a custom metal nut so I can get rid of the locking devices, but it seems the price starts going up by multiples of 5 when you have more than 6 strings.

conorreich likes this.
  10. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I locked my nut and it's better, but still not great. I will retighten all of the moving parts on the kahler. I appreciate all the help y'all!