K720/Apex 30 Thread

Would you buy a new K7 if it went back into regular production?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Not that I was going to buy one, but it's listed now with a Wizard 7 profile, and not k7, so kinda lost y all interest if that's correct.
I take all their neck shapes with a grain of salt. I've had many different rg's, j-custom's and even an original first model k-7 before and whether they are supposed to have different or even the same necks they are always one of two profiles, a thinner one that's flatter in the middle with wider shoulders, or the fatter in the middle one with non-intrusive smoothed over shoulders. Even the same model guitars with the same neck type have differed with one of these two shapes, ime.
- My point is that you might try one and it has the neck you like, or not, but they don't probably all have the same profile neck, even though they're supposed to. They probably have one of these two shapes like every other Ibanez I've played. So there's hope yet! Just make sure you play it in person or can return it or something. : )

The 1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nick just posted in their fb group that these are all sold out. Supposedly only 28 of these are being made in total. Guess that kills the gas.

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score
Nick just posted in their fb group that these are all sold out. Supposedly only 28 of these are being made in total. Guess that kills the gas.

Maybe, and I say MAYBE they are only making 28 for the anniversary but will start making it a regular production model in original or new colors the following year?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Yeah, SUCH a bummer. I was hoping to keep one for myself, and now thats an impossibility. I really hope Ibanez reconsiders and builds more. It wont be for a lack of trying on our end. I've had to turn 4 people away already.

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but seemed as good of a thread as any and it wasn't worth starting a new thread for. Anyone know what a good price to pay for an Apex100 these days? Not many H-S 7 options out there.

park0496

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Look up the past sales on reverb. There’s the one on GC for $1200... that one has been around though.

Can’t wait for the Ibanez K720!

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone on here managed to snag the K720 preorder?????? If so when is release date expected so I know when pics may be coming.

park0496

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rich has one more available.. better jump on it if you’re interested. He believes they’ll be late/add a few months

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score
Im pretty excited about these personally. Its cool as is for a anniversary model, but im even more stoked at the tiny chance that the K7 could become a regular production model again in different colors or maybe even options. Personally one of my favorite guitars since it came out.

buck fever

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im pretty excited about these personally. Its cool as is for a anniversary model, but im even more stoked at the tiny chance that the K7 could become a regular production model again in different colors or maybe even options. Personally one of my favorite guitars since it came out.

What is it that sets this model apart for you from a baseline RG 7 string? Mahogany body? The trem? I’ve been curious about the bridge for a long time as I’ve never seen one of these in person, only on paper.

Aaron

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What is it that sets this model apart for you from a baseline RG 7 string? Mahogany body? The trem? I’ve been curious about the bridge for a long time as I’ve never seen one of these in person, only on paper.

Everyone seems to love the neck profile. I haven't gotten around to tryin one out. It seems to be in a league of its own.

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score

To be honest alot. I grew up a KoRn kid, so this was a Dream Guitar/Bucket list item for me. Growing up the only 7 strings I could afford was a Ibanez RG7321. When I finally got one in 2009, i couldnt put it down. Its neck is the most comfortable overall to me of any others. I am a sucker for the Dimarzio PAF pups and much to all my guitar buddies dismay put them in almost all of my guitars. I prefer mahagony personally. Its the best sounding wood for PAFs and my tone style IMHO. Obviously the trem is legendary on here. My fav color is gray. The luminlay dots rock. The binding is so gorgeous, and last but not least the U Bar system is super fun to use. If I was blindfolded in a room with choices id prob pick the K7 based off of feel.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I was disappointed to see the APEX 200 discontinued. That is one of the best 7 strings I have personally played. I was eyeing getting one for a while, but never pulled the trigger. I will resume a search for that or a Firespeak Blue K7 next year though. I really dug how the APEX 200 had the Blaze single in the neck position too.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

If you're talking about the LoPro with the U-Bar, the only thing different is the U-Bar which could be added to any normal LoPro with a bit of work and assuming you could get a hold of the bar.
- I use to have the first K7 model and parted with it pretty fast. It was a great guitar and the U-bar was nice for palming and avoiding touching the fine tuners, but I found it got in the way where it attaches to the trem. I couldn't get my normal pick hand comfort like I can without it in there. Thanks for everything on that guitar man!

Everyone seems to love the neck profile. I haven't gotten around to tryin one out. It seems to be in a league of its own.

- The K7 I had was nice but it really wasn't anything special in comparison to other models I've had. It's like all the Ibby 7's I've had. They either have that thicker no shoulders profile or they have that flat in the middle with wide shoulders shredder neck. My k-7 had the former profile. I've only had 2 rg's that were kind of in between and those were the fatter style on the low strings and flatter style starting around the 7th9th fret.
- I find the fat/no shoulder style is best for me personally and lends itself to chordsmore comfortably and the thin wide shoulder necks are great when doing the rock star speed solo runs. Not comfortable to me but most people seem to like that one more.
- I don't know how critical Ibanez is these days on the quality control and making sure the profile is exactly what is wanted by the artists, but I know they vary on those early models I've had.
- Remember the actual artists get LACS type level of attention and on the LACS tour they show a rack of unique necks that they use showing exactly what that artists wants. People like Korn and Vai etc are just using their favorite UV or RG neck from some old guitar they had back in the day, because that neck was special and felt good.
- All I'm saying is they do vary and out of a dozen identical model guitars and setups you might only like 1 (if any) of them. You might like them all, but they will all feel different. That's why when people talk about a models neck profile or comfortability it shouldbe taken with a grain of salt as they are all different.
- You gotta figure out what type of profile you like and find the model you like and then try to find that model with that neck profile too. YOu may have to try several of the same guitar and setup before you find one you really like best.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The grey was always the "unofficial" Head model, where as the blue was the "unofficial" Munky model.

artworks-000027229889-allx97-t500x500.jpg

And what about the red one?

dfukj2ul14txpfcrwrqp.jpg

Yeah, I know it's a refinish, but it looks fucking amazing. More pics here:
https://reverb.com/item/32773314-ibanez-k7-refinished-candy-apple-red-bareknuckle-aftermath-set