K720/Apex 30 Thread

Would you buy a new K7 if it went back into regular production?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DCM_Allan

Sol Invictus
Reaction score
The prototype was announced Winter NAMM 2020. Im making this thread so everyone can post photos, videos and updates, as well as, opinions on the new model. I personally love everything minus the gold hw. Slap some OG powder cosmo on there and im all in. I do wonder if this is a one year and done Anniversary model? Will they bring back original K7 after? New colors to come? Is Japan Apex over? Please share what you think!
I'm glad to see you're following my page, LACSIBANEZ

If the K7 comes with the same finish, definitely I'll get one for myself.

bmth4111

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Need the new k7 even tho the Grey color ismt the best! Love the gold hardware.

stinkoman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did somebody state that the new K7 will actually have a flame top, or did I misread that somewhere?

stinkoman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't mind it on mine. Me personally it looks worse and bigger in pictures, and not nearly as bad when you're in person. YMMV.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
I wish theyd bring the cancer logo and stars inlay back. Super underrated
That one's interesting, kinda glitzy for a Korn sig imo though.

While we're at it, I wish they woulda made that Apex200 "compass star" inlay without the red in it. Woulda left the guitar more open for different pickup colors n stuff.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Am i the only one that likes the K7 inlay? It gives the model it's charm imo.

I think it's cool AF

You are the only one's. Not even Munky, Head, and Feildy likes it. Only you two do (jk). That inlay is the difference between buying and not buying one for a lot of people, imo, including me. It might as well be a giant swastika or cock and balls because it yeilds the same result which is me not wanting it and disappointment.

hilljack13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have always like the K7 logo. I guess those not a fan of Korn seem to dislike it more. Any ideas on the neck specs? I'm a fan of the original K7 neck since the width was less than the 7 strings Ibanaz produces today. 68mm vs 65mm, makes a big difference to me.

aesthyrian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any ideas on the neck specs? I'm a fan of the original K7 neck since the width was less than the 7 strings Ibanaz produces today. 68mm vs 65mm, makes a big difference to me.

Depends on the year made. Ibanez switched to 68mm necks in 2005, the last year of production for the K7, and every 25.5" 7 string model since has had a 68mm heel. I think the 68mm necks were also 5 piece but used wenge instead of bubinga for the laminates, much like the neck on the RG1527. Probably the same necks, honestly.

The 68mm K7's are most likely much less common but I would pay attention to the neck laminates just to be sure if that's a deal breaker.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The K7s officially received three different necks, which corresponds fairly evenly with three different eras of Ibanez neck production.

2001/2002: Slightly thicker, modeled after current (for the time) UV models. Width at last fret: 65mm.

2003/2004: Switch to thinner profile closer to older, 90's UVs. Width at last fret: 66mm.

2005/2006: Prestige series, which saw a similar neck profile as the previous, but a wider heel at 68mm.

Construction wise, everything pre-Prestige was 3-piece Maple/Bubinga. Prestige were 5-piece Maple/Wenge.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
I'd assume the new ones would be 68mm, has Ibanez ever gone narrower since the 68mm's came out?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd assume the new ones would be 68mm, has Ibanez ever gone narrower since the 68mm's came out?

Nope.

Fujigen tooled up for 68mm and hasn't budged since.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think they've gone back to the 65mm or so for some random stuff like the ARZ7.