Justin Hill Leaves SikTh + 2017 Album Announced!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JustMac, Jun 6, 2016.

1. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Oh, and Joe Rosser of Aliases has joined in his place!

Sikth to split with Justin Hill after Camden appearance - News - Metal Hammer

Sounds like a focus on his production career is his foremost reason for the departure, which is totally understandable.

It's sad that an original member has left the band, but -- even as a diehard fan of the band --I can't help but feel that this will breathe new life into them, allowing them really kick what they started up a notch, following the reunion + stellar Opacities EP. Rosser is a great fit, full steam ahead! :hbang:

I can't link to exact post (their Facebook, check it out!), but they've also confirmed a full-length for release at start of 2017, really excited to see what direction the band heads in next!

How do the rest of you guys feel about the departure? An irreparable rupture or a new beginning?

PS -- Guess what album just turned 10 today?

[​IMG]

MAJ Meadows SF and Opion like this.
  2. Cnev

Cnev SS.org Regular

I don't know. Was he holding them back in some way? Stifling their collective creativity? Just seems odd to praise the leaving of a great bassist so much, as if the band can finally be great now that he's gone.

3. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

He was one of the singers not the bassist

4. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

F*ck's sake. I had to miss out on both their recent London shows and now I'll never see them with the original line-up. :(

I'm sure the new guy will be good but still. I'm still so pissed about having to sell my tickets for their gig last December. Even more so now.

5. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Sikth without any member of the band is nothing but Sikth light.

Saying that, Sikth light is still better than 100% of other current metal bands so bring it on.

6. Draceius

Draceius I hate everyone on this site

Someone mentioned this in the comments of the facebook post and Sikth's response was a reminder that he isn't an original member in the first place.

And lol Sikth light, what an odd post to make.

7. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Was he the higher pitched guy or the surly lower pitched guy?

8. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

Higher pitched^. The singer from aliases actually reminds me more of justin, I'm sure he'll be just fine.

9. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Justin's vocals are great, and not to compare apples to oranges, but Mikee is by far the one whom nobody could replicate and I consider more of the "mark" of Sikth. (I've still never heard anything else like the spoken word voices in When Will the Forest Speak or Mermaid Slur.) So, while it sucks that he's left, I'm sure they'll be able to carry on with a new singer in his place. I wish him the best in his production career!

10. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

While this is a big loss, it definitely isn't as big as if, say, Mikee were to leave.

Aliases is pretty boring but their vocalist should fit well in Sikth.

11. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

I'm bummed but Rosser is a killer vocalist. I don't know if he'll be as pronouncedly different from Mikee (though pretty much anyone is, that dude is one of a kind) as Justin was, but I know he'll do a great job.

Good luck to Justin!

12. BucketheadRules

Mikee is the truly irreplaceable one, no question. One listen to this confirms that:

His vocal performance on the first album in particular is like nothing I've ever heard. Masterful... I have absolutely no idea where that style came from, what possible influences can you have in order to sound like that?

13. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Yeah, no biggie from my perspective. Justin was the "regular" sounding vocalist.
    I think Mikee and Pin are most responsible for the unique Sikth sound.

14. BucketheadRules

Why Pin more than Dan?

15. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Yeah dude for real. Can't We All Dream in one of the most transcendental songs I've ever heard and it's largely in part to his vocals. I'd say definitely Mike Patton influenced but a lot of his style is his own beast.

16. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

It's funny how some people's reactions hear sound as if this is the first time someone leaves Sikth. Hello, reality check, Justin has always been quite vocal and clear about how he kind of disliked the band life in Sikth. This was just bound to happen, just as the band will probably quit again in a not so far away future, since this is all just a reunion tour that got out of hand. Mark my words.

If I'm wrong, I'd be glad about it though.

17. Nykur_Myrkvi

Nykur_Myrkvi SS.org Regular

I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed to hear that Justin left but to be completely honest Rosser is a great fit and a great guy.

I've managed to see the "original" line up (I know Justin wasn't the original second vocalist) a few times so I'm cool with it now. If this means more Sikth then I'm all for it.

18. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Yeah I'm bummed I won't get to see Sikth with Justin but I think Rosser will have just as much or more energy to his performance.