Just String bulk strings

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by noodles, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noodles

noodles Contributor

I just ordered my first bulk order (12 sets) last week, and they came in First Class USPS in under three days. They were shipped in a approximately 8"x6" padded envelope, loosely coiled. There were seven long, narrow plastic bags that held twelve string per gauge, with the gauge clearly marked in large, bold numbers on each package.

I'm still trying to figure out who makes these strings. They have brass colored ball ends, and the wound strings have the plain core leaders. I'm guessing D'addario, but without the color coded ball ends. With S&H, the total came to $48.57, or about four bucks a set. Knock out the $5.95 shipping, and it drops to $3.55/set, which isn't too shabby for a 7-string custom set. I went with 60-48-36-26-17-13-10. For me, the 48 low E is a good middle ground between standard and drop-D tunings.

After stringing up, I noticed they are brighter than the GHS Boomers I am used to playing. Since I haven't used a set of D'addarios in years, I really have no clue what to listen for. They definately have way more attack than GHS or Dean Markley, which is what I had been using. They stretched out quick, and hold tune well. The ball ends are tightly wrapped, without the flop I have come to expect from Dean Markley.

It's kind of hard to get excited about strings, but it seems like a good deal so far. I like being able to put together exactly the set that I want, and they are a few bucks cheaper than Guitar Center. Seems like a good deal so far, and I really appreciate the fast shipping.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

i hear they're d'addarios. im not sure though. I got my RG 1077 strung up with a custom set of juststrings strings and D'addarios. (for the guages they didnt carry.. like 68). They also stretched out fast and hold tune very well.
    My set from lowest to highest -
    10 - 14 - 19 - 26 - 36 - 50 - 68

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Whatever they are, they're really pretty good. I used to use unwound bulk replacements with my Elixers to keep the top strings fresh, until they introduced their new corrosion-resistant unwounds.

4. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

Sounds like a great deal Noodles, I wonder if it would work out well financially having them shipped to me up here. I like the sounds of it...

5. noodles

noodles Contributor

The more you buy, the cheaper it becomes per set, since they ship it all together. I just started with the minimum of 12 sets to see if I liked them.

6. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Sounds like a sweet deal. I'm a D'adarrio fan, so I'll probably look into it. I'm also digging Wyres as well. Had a set of 10's on one of my 7's and they seemed to last awhile and sound good.

7. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks User Contributor

Noodles -

Next time you do an order, I'd be interested in going in on it with you to get the cost down even farther. It'd be a great way for me to get back to using 11s, since I can't find an 11 set of 7 strings except Balls, which suck, well, you know :)

8. dumbarse

dumbarse SS.org Regular

I'm from Toronto and just received an order from justStrings.com. The total came to 55.48 canadian for 12 sets of strings and there was no duty or brokerage fee on the package. So 4.63 a set, pretty decent price and you can actually get something other then 9 -54 or 10 – 56 which seems to be all that’s available for 7 string sets locally.

9. noodles

noodles Contributor

That's the alure for me. I spend slightly less than I would at GC, but I get a completely custom set. Go to GC and start picking out single strings, and you're at over ten bucks a set.

10. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I've contemplated doing that before as I am a frequent visitor to JustStrings.com, but I was nervous buying strings I didn't know about. It's good to hear they're brighter than the often dull sounding GHS/Dean Markleys. I prefer DR Hi-Beams and D'Addarios as a 2nd option, if they're D'Addarios I could live with that. I usually just stick with DR's though.

11. Oogadee Boogadee

Oogadee Boogadee ss.orggy biscuit Forum MVP

+me

12. noodles

noodles Contributor

I really love DRs, for about three days. After that, I've totally killed the. Sure, they still play great (I love the slinky feel of the wound strings), but they just sound dead.

Funny, I use to hate D'addario, and now I've come full circle.

Sounds good to me. I'm starting to consider bumping up my B string to something bigger that will have the same feel as my low E (like a 65 or so), but I'm kinda scared that it will just be all bass response with no attack. I'm starting to get used to the floppiness of the 60, but it is still nowhere near as bright as the 56 Mike uses.

The next time I order, I'll just ask around and get a case delivered to my door. :cool:

13. Lisa C.

Lisa C. SS.org Regular

Requested assistance in finding specific strings on the Web site and received a prompt but incorrect link from Jim Clark. Because I didn’t notice his error, my 6/30/20 order was not correct and didn’t realize until after receiving the order. Continued via their preferred method of communication, customerservice@juststrings, on 7/11 and 7/19 with no response. Tried calling their 800 phone number and another shown on the invoice, on 7/7 and 7/20 respectively. Both numbers had the same recording about the phone not being operational due to COVID-19. That has become a fairly common practice this year, thus understandable. However, am doubting the sincerity of the “100% satisfaction guarantee” (touted on a full page on the Web site). The key words there = “may return any unopened merchandise in resalable condition within 30 days of the original ship date” (minus $6.95 shipping). With no procedure for a return/exchange, the natural next step = contact Customer Service. Perhaps COVID has put them short-handed/busy, yet not responding to communication after the sale is not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.