Just started shooting gigs again - check these

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Wretched, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Wretched

Wretched SS.org Regular

Hey everyone,

Subsequent to buying a shedload of new camera gear, I was keen to get stuck into shooting live music again - something I hadn't done in years.

My first assignment was a trio of Australian pop/rock bands at the Oxford Art Factory in Darlinghurst (Sydney). They were 'Kids of 88', 'Howl' and 'Cassette Kids'. You can probably tell from the names that they're all 'scene kid' kinda music; but the musicians were all pretty lively and put on good performances.

Here's a link to about 40 images: Cassette Kids - 18_06_2010 - a set on Flickr

Attached Files:

jymellis, ZXIIIT, s_k_mullins and 2 others like this.
  2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

cool pics! i can tell by the quality that you didnt you a camera phone :lol:

what did you use? i know its hard to get good pics in those lighting condidtions.

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Nice pictures :yesway:

4. Wretched

Wretched SS.org Regular

Shot with a Canon 7D and 50mm f1.4 lens.

5. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

Really nice shots man! Especially the first and last ones. Good to see more music photographers on this forum :)

6. matty2fatty

matty2fatty SS.org Regular

I'm assuming Howl isn't the totally awesome doom band that just put out From Hell?

Great shots though

7. Wretched

Wretched SS.org Regular

Just covered the Train gig at the Enmore Theatre last night. Check the pics by CLICKING HERE.

8. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

With the 1.4 did you need a flash, probably not eh!

Nice shots, love the light.

9. Wretched

Wretched SS.org Regular

No flash was allowed; which is pretty standard for shooting gigs for bigger bands. Certainly if you're being limited to three songs, like Train did. I haven't used a flash at all so far at any gig, no. The bigger gigs like this Train one allowed for reasonable ISO; around 2000-3200. The last one I did, see Cassette Kids thread also in this section - I shot everything at 3200 iso, but no flash there either.

With these modern DSLRs you cvan get away with 3200-6400 iso pretty well.

f1.4 is fast!

10. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

I need to get a 1.4 lens for my D90, it does shoot amazing in low light thats for sure!

Most of the stuff I take is outside and am looking at the Sigma 18-300 or so lense, its a 5.6 I think. It should do everything but low light or maybe will.

11. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I need to get a decent lens for low lighting, want a fisheye lens too. I like using flash for smaller gigs, I hate ISO noise.

12. Wretched

Wretched SS.org Regular

I've got a 10-22mm f3.5 EFS that's a super-wide angle. Not completely fish-eye, but certainly exaggerated. Only fast enough for the brighter stages with bigger bands, unless you have the luxury of using flash.

My 24-70mm f2.8L gets pretty wide so you can shoot almost right across the width of the stage and is fast enough for most lighting conditions. Obviously the focus gets pretty short at the longer end of the focal length.

13. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land

I hate Kids Of 88 with a burning fucking passion but it's badass you're getting back in to shooting. It sounds really fun.

\mm/

14. DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 Schecter Whore

I think this is the ideal combo for shooting gigs. I shot this band a few times...first with my old Xsi and the 50mm f1.8. Those pics were great, but the XSi was slow. I upgraded to the 7D and tried using the 28-135mm kit lens at a higher iso to see if I could pull it off...I couldn't. It was very hard to get usable pics. My conclusion is the 50mm prime is a great lens for gig photography...smaller gig anyway. I want to upgrade mine to the f1.4 version.

Great pics btw!

15. ZXIIIT

ZXIIIT XIII

Great pics, crystal clear and tasty.

16. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

these threads give me GLAS!

17. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

Good stuff.

How do you like the D7? I want one but having second thoughts since it doesnt have a full frame sensor. Is your nifty fifty an L series? Im looking at that to go with it as well.

18. Wretched

Wretched SS.org Regular

The 7D is awesome. Can't fault it yet. Not too concerned about full frame, even though I'll be shooting a lot for print work. In my past life as a modified car magazine editor, I saw many a feature car shoot go to print, taken on a 450D or equivalent, sometimes even for the front cover. As they say, an artist doesn't blame his/her tools and you can get perfectly good shots on APS-C bodies. The only point they'll potentially fall over is in dark stuff, but the 7D seems to handle it really well and I've only been shooting live stuff on jpeg so far, not raw.

My 50mm is the cheap f1.4, not the L-series. From what I've seen of it and from what everyone else has been telling me, they're not worth the extra $1000.

19. DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 Schecter Whore

The L series is f1.2 I believe. That and slightly better build quality. I would love to get the f1.4 50mm though. I have the f1.8 50 mm, or the "nifty fifty" and I could tell by your pics the step up would be worth it. I plan on it. Not trying to hijack the thread, but here are some of my recent band shots using the 7D + 50mm f1.8....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hutchman

hutchman El' Lamo

Fuck dude. Freakin nice pics. I need some pics to make me look cool like that.

EDIT: My band is actually playing Sydney next Sat if you wanna swing by and make me look good.:lol:

But seriously.............. howboutit??