Just received new PRS Halcomb 7 & I wanted to know if this seems normal..

Tyler1993

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seems like there’s a very small Knick and then some glue or something around where the neck is attached. The glue / sticky substance wipes away. Just never really experienced this with a new guitar. Perhaps it’s just the way the neck was attached.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• 314590F0-349A-4EBA-93CF-861390A47917.jpeg
    314590F0-349A-4EBA-93CF-861390A47917.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 307
  • A0A0AA9D-A89F-435B-A683-CB49D58D6228.jpeg
    A0A0AA9D-A89F-435B-A683-CB49D58D6228.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 278
  • 42695CFF-FBC0-4204-87CE-53C4D9F8CE42.jpeg
    42695CFF-FBC0-4204-87CE-53C4D9F8CE42.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 265

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just your usual lack of final detail on a budget Indonesian guitar - I am so dissapointed that PRS doesn't make their stuff in Korea anymore.

Nothing to worry about if it wipes clean, clean it up and keep on rolling.

Tyler1993

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just your usual lack of final detail on a budget Indonesian guitar - I am so dissapointed that PRS doesn't make their stuff in Korea anymore.

yeah it kinda looks like they missed that corner with the finish which is a little disappointing. I purchased through evertune and honestly wouldn’t want to deal with an exchange for something so small. But yeah that’s definitely a first

Tyler1993

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it wipes away it probably wasn't glue. Maybe it was some polishing compound applied half-assedly at QC to make the nick less visible?

Possibly. That stuff wipes away so I’m not too concerned although the very corner of the neck is defiantly slightly visible from what looks like laziness. Oh well, it play like a beast, just never expected that from a new guitar

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah it kinda looks like they missed that corner with the finish which is a little disappointing. I purchased through evertune and honestly wouldn’t want to deal with an exchange for something so small. But yeah that’s definitely a first

Just caught that. Like I said, dissapointing. These aren't exactly cheap instruments, and knowing that the Korean built SEs ones were so much more consistent just makes it frustrating.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Just caught that. Like I said, dissapointing. These aren't exactly cheap instruments, and knowing that the Korean built SEs ones were so much more consistent just makes it frustrating.

Didn't know they were no longer made in Korea. They lost the main appeal they had then.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score

Agreed. As far as I can tell the SEs are now Indonesian made - they simply don't have their shit together when it comes to QC it seems.

Having unboxed probably four dozen or more Indonesian SE’s, I definitely disagree with you. The quality is every bit as good as the MIK stuff was.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Having unboxed probably four dozen or more Indonesian SE’s, I definitely disagree with you. The quality is every bit as good as the MIK stuff was.

I wish I'd had my hands on those rather than the ones I've owned. I am a big SE fan for affordable guitars, so I'd just as soon the quality be high.

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
with all the guitars i've returned over the years, i'd HAPPILY take almost any amount of finish flaws compared to what i've dealt with. it's a keeper, enjoy!

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I wish I'd had my hands on those rather than the ones I've owned. I am a big SE fan for affordable guitars, so I'd just as soon the quality be high.

Where are you buying them? Any reputable shop would reject anything with any issues, finish included.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Where are you buying them? Any reputable shop would reject anything with any issues, finish included.

I've handled them a few places - through Guitar Center, Music Go Round, there's some local shops in my area. The ones I owned were the best of the bunch, and as such had the fewest flaws (tool marks on some binding, a minor mark in the finish, etc).

Worth noting, they generally still play great, just the minor things that I pick up on as mentioned. Maybe it is just lax employees, but honestly my experience with most companies that have moved to Indonesia has been similar. I'm sure in a few more years we will see big improvements, the same that happened with pretty much all the other countries that started making guitars; the start is rough, but they eventually get up to speed making awesome instruments.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I've handled them a few places - through Guitar Center, Music Go Round, there's some local shops in my area. The ones I owned were the best of the bunch, and as such had the fewest flaws (tool marks on some binding, a minor mark in the finish, etc).

Worth noting, they generally still play great, just the minor things that I pick up on as mentioned. Maybe it is just lax employees, but honestly my experience with most companies that have moved to Indonesia has been similar. I'm sure in a few more years we will see big improvements, the same that happened with pretty much all the other countries that started making guitars; the start is rough, but they eventually get up to speed making awesome instruments.

man that’s a bummer. I don’t doubt your experience, I just haven’t personally seen it. Between them and LTD they’ve been doing a great job. The ones that have unfortunately gone downhill IMHO is G&L. The American ones are still great of course, but the Tribute stuff is just completely mediocre, with finish flaws, plasticky feel, weigh a goddamned ton, etc.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
man that’s a bummer. I don’t doubt your experience, I just haven’t personally seen it. Between them and LTD they’ve been doing a great job. The ones that have unfortunately gone downhill IMHO is G&L. The American ones are still great of course, but the Tribute stuff is just completely mediocre, with finish flaws, plasticky feel, weigh a goddamned ton, etc.

I'm hoping I've just had poor luck. I think PRS does a great job with their affordable models, I know they'll make guitars I'll want in the future.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some pretty good MII Schecters and EVH guitars. Small flaws, but nothing major.