Just discovered old Sepultura...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by vilk, Sep 13, 2021.

1. VGK17

VGK17 SS.org Regular

Arise is one of the top 5 thrash albums in history.

2. VGK17

VGK17 SS.org Regular

That first Soulfly album was awesome.

gabito and Crungy like this.
  3. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

This.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

It's interesting that you say that Chaos AD is peak Sepultura and that Roots felt like "the rug was pulled out" because to me, as a new listener, even though the production on Chaos AD is more similar to the old thrash stuff, musically it's much more similar to Roots.

VGK17 likes this.
  5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Don't really have much to add - Arise, Beneath the Remains and Chaos AD.

I was also super excited when Cavalera Conspiracy came out, because it felt kinda similar with modern production. I listened to Inflikted so much in the car when it came out that my friends hated it :lol:

6. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

and its so mean...its like the gates to death metal
    the intros, the thrash, the breakdowns, the solos, everything is exeptional
    with CAD (still a great album, their last good) a new era started

7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

My first exposure with Sepultura was with Roots. I got it as a present and didn't listen to any growling vocals until then. Initially I hated it due to the vocals and then I got into it and really liked the album. But then I listened to Beneath The Remains and Arise and I just could not listen to Roots anymore. It sounded really inferior. I had a hard time listening to Chaos AD too as a result but now I can enjoy it and consider it a good album. But it was the beginning of the end for Sepultura in my opinion.

I haven't listened to Roots in a while so I might give it a spin to see if I enjoy it more now. If it didn't have the Sepultura name attached to it then I think it would have been better received. I mean it's like listening to two completely different bands. I also haven't liked any album Sepultura did after Roots. I thought with Max leaving they'd go back to their old ways but they somehow became even worse lol! And while I think Andrea's Kisser is a great guitarist, his solos after the Roots album is an even bigger wah wankery than Hammet. Like no musicality at all, just random noises.

jahosy likes this.
  8. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

You are correct, sir.

BtR is one of my favorite albums from that era. Period. It's just the right balance of raw and polished.

zappatton2 likes this.
  9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Schizophrenia has always been my favorite but Beneath The Remains is great too. It's fine, but I never really got into Arise. On the other hand, Chaos AD basically birthed nu metal and can never be forgiven, and it only gets worst from there. But Schizophrenia and BTR still hold up really well even today. I love Sarcofago too—I still listen to INRI a couple times a year.

10. bjjman

bjjman SS.org Regular

I totally get where you're coming from. Chaos AD was a big shift where they bought in tribal stuff that wasn't coming from influences of other metal bands. They were evolving into something truly unique.
    On the one hand, Roots took that further but it also took on a lot of influence from other bands that had been emerging at the time, most notably Korn. To my teen self, the fact they seemed like they were now jumping on a movement, rather than making their own was a huge disappointment.

vilk likes this.
  11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Actually I listened to Chaos AD again last night, and I kinda take back what I said. While you can definitely tell that Roots evolved from the Chaos AD style, Chaos AD is not more similar to Roots than their previous work. It still has a lot of straight up thrash riffs, still has those classic crazy solos, Maybe it's in the middle of their two sounds but it's probably closer to the thrash side. Actually, Chaos AD is really good for what it is, and it's officially going on my personal list of "good, old school Sepultura".

zappatton2, bjjman and Werecow like this.
  12. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Roots was released when Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Coal Chamber were really hitting 7 strings (baritones for CC). At the time, Meshuggah seemed to be the only (well known) band going lower than B that kept their speed metal sound (before Nothing was relased and they dropped to 8 stringers). Sepultura went from Slayer level thrash/death to being lumped with nu-metal in the course of Roots being released. Soulfly actually had Durst guest on one of the songs too.

I was really into Beneath the Remains, Arise, and Chaos A.D. The direction that Roots and Soulfly went was something that I tried to like, but it just never stuck. I do like quite a bit of what is lumped as nu metal, just not those albums for some reason.

Desperate Cry, Nomad, and Propaganda are all stand-out tracks for me to this day! To emphasize how much of an influence early Sepultura has been, my main guitar rig for years was a USA B.C. Rich Warlock with a Duncan Distortion into a Triaxis and Strategy 500, very much a Max Cavalera/Andreas Kisser type of setup and sound.

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  13. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Roots, Beneath the Remains, Chaos AD, Arise, and Quadra (2020) are all chock full of bangers from start to finish.

Everything else I can take or leave.

14. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Now...do yourself a favor and watch Under Siege, Sepultura's 1991 Live in Barcelona set. Golden age right there. Andreas Kisser straight-up ripping it. And Max played all 6 strings and was a legit rhythm player.

Beneath and Arise is a tie for me. Arise has that nice atmosphere and melodies. Beneath has those bottomless, non-stop riffs. But I have a soft spot for Schizo because of the first 3 tracks and troops of doom.

Chiba666, Steo, Werecow and 2 others like this.
  15. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Great recommendation! I was not familiar with that live set.

I will just leave this here.

Chiba666, Viginez, Steo and 4 others like this.
  16. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I love this performance as well. This was completely live almost prime-time TV in the UK. Max's voice sounds great in it, especially the last growl of the song.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  17. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Under Siege is great. There's a bunch of other cool Sepultura live footage on youtube also. It's worth watching even when the sound isn't great just because they kick so much ass.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  18. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained Casual music entusiast

For me Sepultura is one of those bands where I enjoy the live releases more than the actual albums. My go-to is Under A Pale Grey Sky Live. I love that album.
    Not too much a an actual fan though.

19. Dekay82

Dekay82 I WANT the fret nibs

Under a Pale Grey Sky is phenomenal. Blood Rooted has a killer live version of Refuse/Resist. THat song got me into them back in like '95, and it's always a banger live.

20. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

I am a fan of everything Sepultura from Schizophrenia to Chaos AD, though I listen to Morbid Visions / Bestial Devastation once in a while, and I also like Roots (I think the album is 4 or 5 songs too long, though). I think I even have the original CDs somewhere in the house. And probably a cassette or two :lol:

That said my favorite album is Arise, no question about it (maybe Chaos AD my second favorite). It's the album that got me into death / thrash metal in 1992 or so.

I listened to their albums with Derrick Green at least once because why not... and I really didn't like anything from them until I checked out Machine Messiah and Quadra, and man those are fucking great albums in their own right.

Chiba666 and VGK17 like this.