Just bought a POD X3!! - prove to me I havent chosen poorly!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by lewis, Apr 25, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

So I wanted an all in one pedal board solution for smaller/quicker shows and most band practices. Saving lugging my Kemper about more than necessary.
    I found a used X3 live on Andertons for £120 with soft case and jumped on it.

It was between this or an HD500x new but obviously Ive saved alot of money.
    Now I have the HD Pro already but like the Kemper, Im phazing out "rack gear" for live/practices, and wanting to keep that for just the studio. So im used to the HD amps and sounds etc already. And I have and use, podfarm regularly so Im somewhat use to the X3 amps too.

My pedal board rig will be every patch/sound in dual, and out of one side it will go into a power amp > Cab on stage for better monitoring and out of the other, will be going into the Torpedo CAB > DI box > PA for the crowd.

so I will have all options covered.

BUT...like any purchase, Im left slightly doubting my decision (im over cautious with money usually)

Can anyone reassure me this will work for my needs, and work well in the setup described above, without any issues?. i.e dual patches that will have enough power/room to have the same gate/OD type setup on both chains etc?.

8 string player here btw.

Here is the planned "board":
    Line 6 relay g10 >
    Korg Pitchblack >
    Digitech Whammy DT >
    POD X3 Live Dual amp patches >
    L output > Torpedo CAB > DI Box > P.A
    R output > Seymour Duncan powerstage 170 > Laney 2x12 on stage

[​IMG]

2. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh wow, I never knew they used one!! :eek:

So do you mean literally go through an EQ pedal before going into the X3? Or just apply loads of high EQ in the chain inside the unit?

Either way I cant wait to get it hooked up and try it out at practice!!!

4. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

BigBottom is all you need mate, tone for days!

5. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

6. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

You can get it by using an eq model that comes stock in the unit I believe.

7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

The Boost+EQ stompbox could get the job done, but an actual EQ pedal like a Boss GE-7 (which is what Vildhjarta uses/used iirc) would allow for more control over the sound. Unlike POD Farm, the XT/X3 hardware units are very restrictive in terms of routing and you are basically limited to Gate > Stompbox > Amp/Cab > Post effects like verb/delay (simplified but you get the idea).

However, don't worry. The Big Bottom, Criminal, and various Rectifier models are great and sound solid when paired up with the proper cab/mic combinations (experiment around to find ones you like)

8. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

thanks so much guys. So helpful

anyone had experiences of running the thing into a poweramp and cabinet?

thats whats really exciting me.

10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I did that for a while before I had a head for my cab. I ran the POD output in to my 15 watt solid state amps poweramp, in to a mesa 1x12. Sounded pretty good, all you need to do in the amp models is turn off the cab emulation

11. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Do these have a noticeable lag when switching patches live?

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

If thats the case, as annoying as that is i will have to write around that. The band im in is brand new and only just started writing. I will have to intentionally leave larger spaces between sections in songs to avoid any switching lag being obvious. Which is tedious as most of the time you want seamless transistions.

Anyone know about patch switching? And i presume you dont get any cool spill over between patches?.
    I.e delay tails keeps going even after you switch back to rhythm?

13. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I had one for a long time. Good high gain tones in there if you tweak a bit. Not super flexible on signal chains though. The switches on mine gave out after a while though (I kept using it at home for quite a while after, just controlling it with a laptop instead of the switches).

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

unit arrived today. Was dusty as hell. Thanks Andertons :scratch:
    Knew it was used but to have it on display in that condition, im not surprised it didnt sell until I bought it.

Anyway, I gave it a great clean up and it looks quite respectable now. Ran it into my Torpedo CAB for cab and poweramp sounds.
    Everything works which is good. I need to get it down to my band's practice room and start dialing in tones.

Also, its abit larger than I assumed so the above planned board picture will have to be different because the layout like that wont work given its size.

I cant wait until Seymour Duncan finally get their Powerstage 170 poweramp at so I can get it on the board and get the x3 Live into real cabs!! :shred:

15. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I have an X3 "bean" and run it through a GSP1101 that I use for IR cabs and it sounds fantastic. With the Torpedo, the X3 you got should sound pretty damn good. :metal:

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ive downloaded the tones shared above!. Im going to give them a whirl tonight.

I seriously need a power amp so I can get these going through a real cabinet!!

17. Spinedriver

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I agree!.
    Was using some last night with Torpedo CAB s-pres high set of free IR's, and it was decent.

Im feeling a lack of gain from the unit in general though?. Is that normal?. Like gain on full on an amp model doesnt sustain for ages and trying a boost infront in the chain with gain up just makes it mush and totally unusable?.

19. Spinedriver

It really depends on which od you're using as a boost. Personally, I have half a dozen od pedals that I run in front of it because the "screamer" is pretty much the only one I liked on the X3. The GSP1101 does have a pretty decent selection but it's a lot easier to experiment with actual pedals than to mess around with the on-screen menu. The key is to keep the gain knob of the od fairly low and the volume about 3/4 or higher.

Also, you might want to give the GuitarHacks IRs a try. They are my go-to cabs for sure.

20. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

Yeah, back then my go to recording tone was the Chimera patch with the Lecab v1.0 stock ir's. Im sure there are better irs out these days though.

Sorry man, its been years since ive used it so i cant really help there.