JST plugin and noise issues

jayroc123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm running an LTD with EMG 57/66 into a scarlett 4i4 into reaper and using the JST Jeff Loomis Plugin

The noise level is unbearable and I have to put the pickup selector in the middle position to reduce the hum. Recording is silent when I play clean patches though. Is this just normal and I need to use a gate all the time? I've tried different cables and locations in my recording area incase of hum. The guitar is self grounded from the active preamp and a new battery.

Is the Scarlett just a noisy interface in general? Would a DI help me?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Unfortunately we probably won't know unless you post a clip of the noise

Andii

MAMMALHAMMER
Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
If you want to ensure silence on the cable side I can recommend Mogami instrument cable because I have personal experience with how much interference they reject compared to standard rapco horizon etc. and of course generics.

A DI can provide a ground lift which a lot of times will solve an issue like this. If you get a high Quality DI there's a 100% chance it will sound better than the instrument ins on your interface, and a really good chance that the ground lift could be useful.

Overall though, I didn't read your description of what is happening and immediately know for sure what exactly is going on at all. Hard to help over the internet with this particular case.

Andii

MAMMALHAMMER
Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I thought of another thing. Check your gain staging. Make sure that you have a nice strong signal coming in. Where it stays out of clipping, but is not at the bottom of the meter.

That will improve your signal to noise ratio.