JP70 Sterling w/ SD Pegasus 7 + Sentient 7? Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MarcusProg, Nov 25, 2013.

1. MarcusProg

MarcusProg SS.org Regular

Hi, this is my first post, so it might be in the wrong place, but I just got a new JP70 Sterling guitar from MusicMan, and I'm looking to replace the stock pickups (They aren't the CL + Liquifier combo) because they're a little too noisy. Would the Pegasus + Sentients be a good idea for someone who wants to play progressive metal?

I don't want to be a carbon copy of Petrucci tonewise, so I really could use your help!

My other gear is a Mesa Mark V w/ 4x12 straight Rectifier cab.

2. Riley

Riley SS.org Regular

Thats(prog) what they were designed for so yes.

If it were me I'd go with the illuminators or cl+liquifire. With that basswood body they would sound great. Don't worry any of us could play through Petrucci's own rig but we still wouldn't sound like him.

3. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

I have BKP blackhawks in mine and it sounds awesome. You could really go either way. I say put the duncans in.

4. MarcusProg

Hm, what are the SD's like tonewise anyway? Or at least compared to the CL+Liquifier? I know the pegasus is medium output, but it doesn't say much more on the SD website, last I checked.

5. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

6. MarcusProg

I'm sure they are, but I'm not exactly up for dishing out the major dough for pickups I know nothing about. I've checked them out, but I'm not sure if they're for me. I know they've for sure got the djent thing down, but haven't heard them in any other setting, really. I like the sound of djent guitar a bit, but I'm looking for something that can give me that Merrow type midrange with Scar Symmetry type leads.

That being said, I'm trying to get a sound that has a very tight bass response, with a strong non-cardboard sounding midrange. Something that is clear but not too trebly either would be nice.

Do you think that based off of that video, the Pegasus + Sentient could give what I'm looking for? It sounds fantastic to me, but his set up is very different than mine...