Josh smith (Northlane) signature

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Logan Abbott, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Logan Abbott

Logan Abbott SS.org Regular

Okay it’s finally gonna happen!! He just posted a mock-up of a pro series signature. Seafoam blue/green, bkp impulse set (HS) 27” scale all that. Fuck I’m stoked. One of my favorite bands and players, and this would be like my signature except I’d make a reverse headstock that’s it.

Attached Files:

Veldar, Vegetta, Vyn and 12 others like this.
  2. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Gotta love some joshlane stuff.
    I know this is a very objective matter but i dont know why jackson keeps putting that headstock on guitars......
    The fender-like traditional headstock that josh has on some customs looks waaay better to me and there are plenty of good looking headstocks in the jackson lineup.
    The reverse one that is on the HT's in great aswell, as you said, but the normal one is a crime to anyones eyes.

And BKP's in a pro series?? Thats going to be an expensive pro series model i guess

Masoo2, Edika and JimF like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeees, more proper flat-tops.

4. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i like it...

but yeah, orig inline reverse headstock would look better.

no inlay is nice...maple fb would have been killer.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

FWIW I have those pickups and they are incredible for that kind of music... works equally well with amp+treble/midbooster or digital modelers.

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Looks awesome. Would have preferred the Fender headstock though, like the Angel sig. Body shape looks right on.

7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

Love it. Great color and pickup choice.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

The dud has great taste IMO

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  9. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Not sure I dig where the paint on the back off the neck ends. But looks dece apart from that - one to look out for for sure

10. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

While I’m a little bummed it’s not the b7 shape this will probably be an instant buy depending on the price. I hope they do a USA run in the future.

11. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

I can't stand Northlane, but Josh has some of the nicest guitars out there. I literally just spent about an hour at the weekend sending my bassist photos of his H-S fender headstock Evertune equipped guitar. that is pure instrumental perfection.
    However, lack of an Evertune?... Aren't this band Evertune devotees? Seems strange to say "this is his signature guitar" but then it be missing the one thing he consistently uses.

LeviathanKiller and Masoo2 like this.
  12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Never heard of the band, but HS neck-thru 7s are pretty few and far between, so it'd be tempting if they ever did a USA version. 27" is really excessive though, so maybe not. Look killer regardless.

13. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

I was expecting a Baritone shape. I was hoping for a Strat (like his CS). I'm sure what he wants in his signature model is up to him but missed the mark on having a (first and only?) Baritone signature.

Northlane has some sick riffs but they aren't really my thing. Something I won't debate though is this guys style in guitars. Always on point.

JimF likes this.
  14. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

I was looking at his strat at the weekend online, is it not just a dinky/soloist body? with the extra large 7 string strat headstock throwing off how to size looks?

15. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Looks pretty cool to me, really!

16. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

It’s not final and it’s not certain to happen, the Australian and UK brand managers are on board but USA haven’t given it the green light yet.

fretboard will be black richlite, im still undecided on headstock But most people seem to like this one. I do really like the strat head and traditional Jackson style ones myself.

lack of evertune is mostly about the price point and I think would turn a lot of prospective players off the guitar.

17. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Some other stuff I’ll weigh in on, I’ve used 3 shapes - B7, soloist like this one and I have one CS that’s a San dimas. Soloist is by far the most comfortable one on my body hence why I chose that.

The guitar I seem to be most known for playing is a seafoam B7 I heavily modified and refinished so this pays homage to that.

I will definitely not have the neck painted at the top as in the mock and instead have it more like my CS guitars if this ever comes to fruition.

Other key specs - it will have luminlays, reinforced roasted maple neck, alder wings and a 1/4” plain maple top. That wood combo just seems to play the nicest with this scale and pickups for me.

I was asked about a USA ltd run ages ago but we’d be talking a pretty insane price point and I personally think for that sort of coin people should just get their own dream guitar built instead? I

18. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Ah, opinions: To me, the reverse one looks wrong and the "correct" SLS headstock looks much better, which is why I ordered a CS with one. (I will say they look better bound, though.) As for why to use them, simple: It stays in tune. Very straight string pull.

19. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Ah Yep, the one I prefer isn’t the one in the mock too I might add, it’s the one that comes on stock B7’s, same tuner layout but the headstock is flipped.

20. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

I think the headstock goes great with it but that comes from having a bunch of the juggernaut models. Is there anything on the US side that we can do to help this come to fruition? All the specs sound great so hopefully the price is in line.