Join parts of a 7-string guitar

Uriki

plss and ibanez, LTD or harley benton :'''''(
Reaction score
I saw in a magazine that Head and Munky talked about them taking parts from other Ibanez 7-string models and creating their own guitars, so I was wondering is it worth doing that? because I really like everything that has to do with the customization.

Attachments

• korn7copy.png
    korn7copy.png
    339.4 KB · Views: 49

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw in a magazine that Head and Munky talked about them taking parts from other Ibanez 7-string models and creating their own guitars, so I was wondering is it worth doing that? because I really like everything that has to do with the customization.

Nothing wrong with constructing a guitar from parts, but remember Head and Munky were in a band touring the world endorsed by Ibanez and likely having guitars thrown at them for free that they could destroy or do whatever with.

Uriki

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with constructing a guitar from parts, but remember Head and Munky were in a band touring the world endorsed by Ibanez and likely having guitars thrown at them for free that they could destroy or do whatever with.
Yeah you have reason, do you know any page that specializes in selling guitar parts?, because in reverb I don't find much related to 7 strings :agreed:
edit: especially from LTD parts

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WOahh man looks pretty awesome :hbang:
I'm very happy with how it came out - I'm a stickler for wanting topmount Floyds, so some kind of custom was the only way I was getting one in a 7 string. This worked out great for me, but unfortunately Musikraft stopped making 7 string parts during the pandemic because of their backlog of work.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah you have reason, do you know any page that specializes in selling guitar parts?, because in reverb I don't find much related to 7 strings :agreed:
edit: especially from LTD parts
eBay is usually better than Reverb for 7 string parts, but LTD parts are pretty rare in general.

Uriki

Reaction score
I'm very happy with how it came out - I'm a stickler for wanting topmount Floyds, so some kind of custom was the only way I was getting one in a 7 string. This worked out great for me, but unfortunately Musikraft stopped making 7 string parts during the pandemic because of their backlog of work.
yeah of course the pandemic ruins all, but in my case y prefer to have the Floyd rose in 6 string guitar hahaha.

Uriki

Reaction score
eBay is usually better than Reverb for 7 string parts, but LTD parts are pretty rare in general.
ohhhh ok ok, yes apart I wanted for LTD because my goal is to be an endorser of LTD and I want to start my career on the right foot
edit: but well the 7-string will have to be Ibanez because in a few weeks I'm going to buy an LTD Arrow and that will be that boost :shred::hbang:

Last edited:

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
They also did that because they were breaking a lot of their guitars on tour, :p

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I have done this many times myself, and am actually in the process of finishing two projects up as we speak.

sorry if it gets wordy. I loved the RGA bodystyle, but hated anything lower than prestige tier. The super sick JCustom RGA8420 came out and it was everything that I wanted in a RGA body so I got it, but i freaking HATE vine inlays. So what im basically doing now is getting a RG6UCS (the uppercut RG) to take the neck off of it and putting it on my JCRGA, creating my own RGA6UCS model (they never made one in black, only a red and blue one. i had a red one a couple years ago, but sold it like an idiot) in black with flame maple top, ebony fingerboard, SS frets, Titanium reinforcement rods, no inlays. The headstock is just black so itll work perfectly with my JCRGA body. This was my easiest project, but my most expensive to date. Still cheaper than buying a Private Stock PRS though!

my second project has taken a bit longer to complete. i LOVE the RGD bodyshape just as much as the RGA shape, but i hate the 26.5" scale. I prefer the RG1077XL neck but unfortunately, Ibanez has never put out an RGD with a 27" scale (my preferred scale), so i had to make compromises no matter which model i picked. Until one day I started playing around with a couple of my guitars. I managed to get my hands on an RG7680LTD-1 (the 1077XL prototype with glowing inlays and whatnot), so i decided to take the neck off of my RGDR4327, and pop that 7680 neck on it. Looks wise it was horrendous of course, but the freaking thing worked and intonated just fine lol. Since i wasnt going any lower than B standard, using lighter gauge strings, i had enough room to intonate it perfectly with the longer XL neck. I dont think i could get away with A standard as I dont think there is enough room to intonate without having to pull the studs, dowel the holes, redrill and reinstall the studs about 1/4" further back to give me enough room to intonate. But for B standard it worked perfectly fine.

So, I sold off the RG7680LTD-1 and am working on grabbing a 1077XL so that I can put that neck on my RGD. Since the headstock is already black, it already matches my body finish so I wont need to refinish the headstock either. Ive got a guy who is parting out his XL, so im trying to sell off my RGIB6 and my modified MBM1 with a fixed LoPro to help finance that piece.

TL:DR - i will have the perfect 6 string and perfect 7 string soon by piecing together a couple different ibanez guitars :D

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Partscasters are pretty common in the 6 string and bass world. Not as common among 7 stringers due to lack of standardization and extended range parts manufacturers. We're also a bunch that often demands trendy modern features so most of the time it's easier to just get a custom shop to build you what you're looking for. But absolutely no shame in piecing existing guitar parts to make your own if you czn find what you're looking for!

Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
There are also a few manufacturers who make bodies/necks/kits for 7-strings, typically contracted out to factories in China with whom they can customise spec to a degree. Obviously a much more involved process as necks/bodies aren't finished so getting it in playing condition drives up either the time spent or cost invested depending on if you DIY it or take it to a professional. If you go that route, avoid any of their electronics/hardware and source those yourself. Between self-sourced premium components and a professional fret dress you can end up with a very nice instrument.

One of my two main 7s is a "parts guitar", with parts from Musikraft:
View attachment 109802

This is dope, such a clean build! Retainer bar behind the locking nut :agreed: What's the DD in the bridge?

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are also a few manufacturers who make bodies/necks/kits for 7-strings, typically contracted out to factories in China with whom they can customise spec to a degree. Obviously a much more involved process as necks/bodies aren't finished so getting it in playing condition drives up either the time spent or cost invested depending on if you DIY it or take it to a professional. If you go that route, avoid any of their electronics/hardware and source those yourself. Between self-sourced premium components and a professional fret dress you can end up with a very nice instrument.

This is dope, such a clean build! Retainer bar behind the locking nut :agreed: What's the DD in the bridge?
Thanks. It was just supposed to be the prototype, but it came out so nice I traded the other body to Cameron. The bridge PU is actually a Wolfetone Custom wind based on an '80s JB I have - Wolfe used to do them for a bunch of us. I haven't asked in a while, but I'm now out of them, so maybe I will.

The neck PU surprised the hell out of me - Duncan did a short run of them and it sounds freakin' great!