Jimi Hendrix Guitar?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by neon_black88, Jun 2, 2008.

1. wes225

wes225 Banned

well the guitar isnt what makes the majority of the tone. id buy the hendrix marshall then the guitar.

2. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

A bit on the hairsplitting side, but I agree.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I totally disagree. Remember that your fingers aren't perfectly hard, so that the way in which your fingers press down is going to be slightly different from person to person.

In my case I can really hear a difference in the "attack" of legato notes if I fret with just my fingertips or if I fret with the fleshier part of my finger. I'm not 100% sure of the physics, but my suspicion is that because the fleshier part is softer, that initial fretting isn't quite as instantaneous as it would be on just your fingertip. This seems to translate into a slightly darker tone, as I think some of the higher vibrational frequencies and overtones are dampened a little bit due to that slight delay between cleanly fretted at one fret, and cleanly fretted on another.

It's not a perfectly efficient system, and those slight inefficencies totally make a difference on a player's tone. :2c:

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

IS there a Hendrix Marshall? Honestly, while I agree a Fuzz Face and something Marshally will get you part of the way there, a high gain set of humbuckers is never going to sound as right for Jimi as singlecoils or PAF's will.

Besides, don't underestimate the "vibe" of a guitar. If a strat inspires you to play more Hendrix-y than a seven, then it's a worthwhile purchase.

5. TheManInBlack

TheManInBlack Well-Known Member

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Make sure you do the whole wierd stringing thing