Genome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's their special tone-enhancing solder

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think its so funny I'm seeing nothing but positive feedback in this thread when at least two or three people were shitting all over these in another thread. Going on about tone-suck, you're a sucker if you buy one, JHS is trash, etc.

Anyway, if someone were to make one from scratch what resistance pot would they want to use? 500k? 1 Meg?
My gut says the higher the better but, I'm not sure.

There's nothing wrong with the concept, but JHS does suck for various reasons and the pricing on these is ridiculous for something that is literally 30 minutes of work including drilling the enclosure and $10 in parts.

I've got a A250K pot in the one I built and it works fine.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I bought a cheap clone (Mosky) on amazon a few years back that works fine. Donner makes one also.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got one used for 40 bucks recently and it's great. I'd previously been using an EQ pedal in the loop, but that only got me +/-12 dB whereas this gets you as much cut as you want. Plus I generally prefer my EQ pedal to be before the preamp so it works out nicely.

Nothing special about it, but I think it does make my tone a bit better since I can increase the amp postgain. That could be in my head tho and isn't the point either way.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
85€ For a volume pot soldered to two jacks. HOLY SHIT :lol:
Man that thing has gotten expensive. It used to be something like 45 euros which to me was "well, saves me the trouble of sourcing the parts and soldering it together" level convenience as a good quality pot and jacks with a Hammond case would probably be ~10-15 euros.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe I’ll build one for funsies. I’m pretty sure I have a volume pot and a couple jacks somewhere. I have an enclosure too but it’s a bit too big. Maybe I’ll grab on from Amazon or something.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Maybe I’ll build one for funsies. I’m pretty sure I have a volume pot and a couple jacks somewhere. I have an enclosure too but it’s a bit too big. Maybe I’ll grab on from Amazon or something.
I built one for funsies last year, housed it in a metal 420 Edibles container from my local area, had an issue with wiring and TGP wouldn't help me with an issue I had because they saw what container it was in and thought I must be stoned and not know what I'm talking about.

I mean they weren't wrong, but cmon man, stereotypes hurt.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
$22 for parts was the best I could find on amazon... enclosure plus two 1/4" mono jacks and an a250k pot.

That's because Amazon sucks for parts :lol: I haven't ordered from these guys yet, but black enclosure + jacks + pot = $11.10 before shipping with switchcraft jacks.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Let's not forget these people get the components at much, much lower prices than we do. That thing is just plain armed robbery.
Except you're not paying for parts, you're paying for the time. As laxu says, at 45€ it makes sense for convenience. At 85€ I'm getting my soldering iron out.

I could build a fuzz pedal for a lot less, but I give my money to Expresso instead to avoid the hassle.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
That's because Amazon sucks for parts :lol: I haven't ordered from these guys yet, but black enclosure + jacks + pot = $11.10 before shipping with switchcraft jacks.

Thank you!

$18.48 out the door and that included some extras that I never even calculated on amazon like tax, knob, an xtra pot, and powder-coated enclosure. Such a cool company, nice site/ organized layout and easy navigating/ easy ordering. Man, I was tempted to get the limited 'illusion orange' but really no need. Pretty killer that they also do a new powder-coat drop each month.

I appreciate the info and look fwd to building my own "little ( white) amp box"... prob with some kinda kitty-cat graphics or something.

keithhagel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've had one for quite some time. It's great for an amp that doesn't have a Master volume. Lets me run my Micro Dark or my MT15 full out without having to go too loud for my little space at home. I'm sure you could make one yourself or use a volume pedal, but these work very well and do exactly what they advertise. Great pickup, especially if it's used.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Better to just buy an EQ pedal instead of this garbage.

Lets me run my Micro Dark or my MT15 full out without having to go too loud for my little space at home.

That's not really true. When you lower the volume before the poweramp you're far from being "full on", you're actually the complete opposite. You're sending a tiny signal to the poweramp.

It does lower the volume, but you're not getting the "cranked up" sound a real attenuator gives you. Far from it.

Last edited:

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
lol I actually thought about what I have already that I could repurpose as an enclosure but in the end for like $5, an already powder-coated one was too tempting.